Chelsea Joy Handler, professionally known as Chelsea Handler is an American comedian, actress, writer, television host, producer, and activist. She is well recognized for being the former host of the late-night talk show “Chelsea Lately”, which aired on E!. She also wrote the bestselling book “Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea” in 2008 which was later turned into a short-lived sitcom for NBC. She previously worked as a waitress. Handler decided to become a comic after getting a positive response from telling a story about a DUI to a class of other offenders. She later landed a role as a regular on the Oxygen Network series “Girls Behaving Badly”. Chelsea was on the list of Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in 2012. She had her first theatrical film appearance in the comedy film “Cattle Call” for her role as Nikita in 2006 whereas she was seen on NBC’s hidden camera reality series “Spy TV” in various roles which were her first TV show. Handler released her first book “My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One Night Stands” in 2005 via Bloomsbury USA. She also announced in May 2020 that she will produce and star in a stand-up special for WarnerMedia’s HBO Max.
- Being an American comedian, actress, writer, television host, producer, and activist.
- For being the former host of the late-night talk show “Chelsea Lately”, which aired on E!.
What is Chelsea Handler Real Name?
Chelsea Handler took birth on 25th February 1975 with the real name of Chelsea Joy Handler in Livingston, New Jersey, U.S. She is of American nationality and belongs to mixed ethnicity as she is of German and Polish descent on her mother’s side and has Ashkenazi Jewish roots on her father’s side. Likewise, Chelsea follows the Judaism religion. Her present age is 46 which she celebrated in the February of 2021 and as per her birth date, her zodiac sign is Pisces. Thus, her race is white. As Chelsea has five siblings, she is the youngest of six children of Rita Handler (mother), a homemaker, and Seymour Handler (father), a used-car dealer. Her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1989 and battled the disease for over 15 years before dying of it in 2006. She has two sisters and three brothers; her eldest brother, Chet, died when he was 21, in a hiking accident in the Grand Tetons in Wyoming.
Regarding Chelsea’s education, she attended Livingston High School, where she was a reluctant student who objected to the school’s “student-teacher-asshole ratio”
What does Chelsea Handler do for a living?
- Chelsea Handler kicks off her career being a member of the all-female cast of Oxygen’s hidden camera reality television series “Girls Behaving Badly”, which aired from 2002 to 2005 after which she was seen as a regular commentator on E! and “Scarborough Country” as well as a correspondent on “The Tonight Show”.
- She also hosted the first episode of the reality TV show “On the Lot” but quit before the second episode aired whereas she started hosting “The Chelsea Handler Show” on E! in April 2006.
- It was announced on 18th August 2010 that she would be the host of the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs).
- Later Handler began starring in her own half-hour late-night comedy series on E! titled “Chelsea Lately” in July 2007 which was broadcast weekdays on the E! Network in the U.S., Canada, U.K, Australia, Germany, and New Zealand. After more than 1,000 episodes, the final episode of “Chelsea Lately” aired on 26th August 2014.
- As well, she starred in the Internet-based program In the “Motherhood” in 2007. “Are You There, Chelsea?” was an NBC sitcom based on Handler’s 2008 best-selling book “Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea”, which aired from 11th January to 28th March 2012. However, the network canceled it after only one season on 11th May 2012.
- As well, she served as executive producer, along with Tom Werner (of “That ’70s Show”), Mike Clements (of “The Life & Times of Tim”), and Tom Brunelle (of “Chelsea Lately”).
- She also filmed a documentary series for Netflix titled “Chelsea Does” in 2016 as well as began presenting her new Netflix original comedy talk show “Chelsea” in the following year.
- Later Chelsea revealed in August 2018 that she had begun working on a documentary for Netflix examining the concept of white privilege and the impact it has had on her life’s trajectory. Titled “Hello, Privilege. It’s Me Chelsea” was released in September 2019.
- She also announced in May 2020 that she will produce and star in a stand-up special for WarnerMedia’s HBO Max.
- Chelsea and Tom Brunelle became producers of “Pretty Wild” in 2010 whereas she also became executive producer through Borderline Amazing for a weekly half-hour talk show on E! hosted by Whitney Cummings in 2012. Titled “Love You, Mean It With Whitney Cummings” which debuted in November 2012, but was canceled after four months, in February 2013.
- She produced Ross Mathews’ new talk show on E!, “Hello Ross” in 2012 however the show was canceled after two seasons, in 2014.
- Similarly, she produced “Josh Wolf’s The Josh Wolf Show” in 2015 which debuted in June 2015 on CMT. The show was canceled in 2016.
- Handler signed a multi-year first-look deal with NBCUniversal in March 2018, in which she would develop programming for Universal Television and Universal Television Alternate Studio.
- She executive produced and sold two comedies she developed at “Universal: Blair”, sold to HBO Max in September 2020.
- Chelsea has written six books that have made the “New York Times Best Seller List”, five of which have reached number one as her first book, “My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands” was launched in 2005.
- Her second book, “Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea” was released in 2008 which hit the top of “The New York Times” Nonfiction Best Seller List on 11th May 2008, with a print run of more than 350,000.
- She also went on a nationwide tour to promote her third book, titled “Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang”, which was released on 9th March 2010. “Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang” hit Number 1 on “The New York Times” Nonfiction Hardback Bestseller list for 21st March 2010.
- Also, she signed a three-book deal with the imprint, the first of which is called “Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me”.
- She has her own columns in “Cosmopolitan” and “Now”, a UK celebrity magazine. She was named as Grand Marshal of the 2009 Los Angeles Pride celebration “for her visible and vocal support of equality” in July 2009.
- Subsequently, she released her fifth book, “Uganda Be Kidding Me”, which was number one on “The New York Times” Best Seller list for two weeks in early 2014. In the following year of June, she did the stand-up show “Uganda Be Kidding Me: Live”, which was then released on Netflix in October 2014.
- She also published her first memoir, “Life Will Be the Death of Me” in April 2019.
- Chelsea Handler’s political activism work has included speaking at universities and collaborating with EMILY’s List to gather support for Democratic women supporting abortion rights and helping them to get elected.
- She was a vocal supporter of 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and was critical of her opponent Donald Trump. In 2016, she told The Daily Beast that a Trump presidency would be the “end of our civilization”.
- She posted to her social network account a video of the controversial anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan, later apologizing for it in June 2020.
- Additionally, she starred on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on 23rd October 2020.
Awards and Achievements
- In March 2009, Handler received the “Ally for Equality Award” from the Human Rights Campaign
- In April 2009, Handler won the Bravo A-List Award for “A-List Funny.”
- In June 2009, she was named as grand marshal of the 2009 Los Angeles Pride celebration “for her visible and vocal support of equality”.
- In July 2012, Handler received the Comedy Person of the Year Award at Montreal’s Just For Laughs comedy festival.
- Handler, Chelsea (2005). “My Horizontal Life: “A Collection of One-Night Stands”
- Handler, Chelsea (2008). “Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea”
- Handler, Chelsea (2010). “Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang”
- Handler, Chelsea (2011). “Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me”
- Handler, Chelsea (2014). “Uganda Be Kidding Me”
- Handler, Chelsea (2019). “Life Will Be the Death of Me: …and You Too!”
Who is Chelsea Handler Dating?
Chelsea Handler is an unmarried lady. She is in a romantic relationship with her handsome boyfriend Jo Koy as she made her relationship Instagram official on Monday with two selfies of the couple, including one of them kissing. “He’s on tour, I’m on tour, sometimes we tour together,” she captioned the post, promoting their respective comedy tours. “#VaccinatedAndHorny #FunnyIsFunny,” she added. “All coming to a city near you!”. She also supported her new man with a video of him getting dressed on his tour bus before the show. “Pre-show, baby! Look at my baby. Baby, show them what you’re wearing,” she joked as she panned down to his white t-shirt, boxer briefs, and tube socks before he unsuccessfully tried to close the door on her. Reflecting on Chelsea’s sexual orientation, she is straight.
Everything You Need To Know About Jo Koy
Furthermore, Chelsea previously was in a relationship with Ted Harbert in 2006 with whom she got separated on 25th January 2010. She also briefly dated rapper 50 Cent around 2011. She confirmed her breakup with hotelier Andre Balazs on her talk show “Chelsea Lately” on 3rd October 2013, after the couple had dated on and off for two years.
- A leaked sex tape of Handler was being offered for sale in 2010. After news of it became public, Handler said on Chelsea Lately that the tape “was made as a joke” more than 10 years earlier, adding, “I put it on an audition tape for a comedy club, because I’m a comedienne, and I’ve been showing it at birthday parties for fucking years.”
- She skied on the slopes of Whistler, British Columbia is nothing but panties in February 2021. Alongside a photo, she posted a message on social media saying “it’s important to stay hydrated as well as relaxed, and it’s also important to celebrate your body no matter what age or size.”
What is the Net Worth of Chelsea Handler?
Chelsea Handler is a versatile lady who has a net worth of $35 million as of 2021. She has also a handsome amount of salary which is around $10 million per year. Her salary stems from her ongoing career in the entertainment business and various Hollywood projects. She has also endorsed brands like T-mobile, Belvedere Vodka, Elizabeth Arden fragrances, Dog for Dog website among many others from where she gains a handsome amount of money. In addition, her major source of income is from her comedian, actress, writer, television host, producer, and activist career.
How tall is Chelsea Handler?
Chelsea Handler is 5 ft 6 in or 168 cm tall whereas her body weighs around 57 kg or 126 lbs. She has good-looking blonde hair and blue eyes color. Regarding diet, Chelsea eats fresh wholesome foods-avoiding anything processed-whenever possible. She has a slim body build with 36-27-35 in or 91.5-68.5-89 cm of body measurement.