Gary Rhodes was a British restaurateur and television chef, known for his love of British cuisine and ingredients and for his distinctive spiked hairstyle. He fronted shows such as MasterChef, MasterChef USA, Hell’s Kitchen, and his own series, Rhodes Around Britain. As well as owning four restaurants, he also had his own line of cookware and bread mixes. He went on to feature in the ITV1 program Saturday Cooks, as well as the UKTV Food show Local Food Hero. Let’s know more about the chef through this article.
Where is Gary Rhodes born?
Recalling his early life, Gary was born in Camberwell, South London in the year 1960. He was born to Gordon and Jean (née Ferris) Rhodes. He moved with his family to Gillingham, Kent, where he went to The Howard School in Rainham. He then went on to a catering college for further studies. Information regarding his siblings and his childhood are yet to be disclosed. He is British by nationality and belongs to white ethnicity.
When did Gary Rhodes start to work as a chef?
- Talking about his profession, Gary started his career through Amsterdam Hilton Hotel. He toured Europe in various jobs before becoming sous chef at the Reform Club, Pall Mall and then on to the Michelin-starred Capital Hotel in Knightsbridge where he worked under Brian Turner. He became the head chef at the Castle Hotel, Taunton in Somerset. He retained the hotel’s Michelin star at the age of 26.
- In 1990, Gary returned to London with his family to become Head Chef at the Greenhouse Restaurant in Mayfair. The menu became known for reviving British classics, including faggots, fish cakes, braised oxtails and bread, and butter pudding. He was awarded a Michelin star for the Greenhouse in January 1996.
- In 1997, he opened his first restaurant, City Rhodes, and in 1997, he is in the Square, both with global contract catering company Sodexo. This partnership expanded into the brasseries of Rhodes and Co in Manchester, Edinburgh, and Crawley.
- In 2003, following the closure of restaurants City Rhodes and Rhodes in the Square the previous year, he opened Rhodes Twenty Four in one of London’s tallest buildings, Tower 42.
- His first TV appearance was at the age of 27, courtesy of Glynn Christian on Hot Chefs; this led to Rhodes Around Britain and Gary’s Perfect Christmas. For two seasons, 2000 and 2001, Rhodes hosted the original MasterChef USA on PBS. He ran a TV series New British Classics reintroducing classic British cuisine and published a book of the same name.
- He was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) on 17th June 2006. In the same year, he competed, representing the South of England, in the BBC’s Great British Menu, but lost to Atul Kochhar.
- He appeared on the BBC Two spoof game show Shooting Stars, during which hosts Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer asked him to ‘represent fire through the medium of dance’. He also competed, with professional partner Karen Hardy, in the sixth series of Strictly Come Dancing which began on 20th September 2008 and finished in 14th place.
- In 2011, he moved to Dubai. He headed Rhodes Mezzanine (the forerunner to Rhodes W1) at the Grosvenor House Hotel, and another called Rhodes Twenty10 at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort.
- In 2013, he opened his first restaurant in Abu Dhabi. He was a supporter of Manchester United FC. On 26th Nov. 2019, he passed away. The reason behind his death is said to be a sudden illness.
Who is Gary Rhodes married to?
Reflecting on his personal life, Gary was married to his wife Jennie Rhodes in 1989. The pair were enjoying their married life until his death in November 2019. Together, the pair blessed two children. They are Samuel and George Rhodes.
What is the cause of Gary Rhodes’s death?
Gary passed on November 26th, in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates due to sudden illness. His family confirmed his death in a statement that read: “Gary passed away last evening at the age of 59, with his beloved wife Jennie bu his side.”
The team is devasted to hear of the tragic passing of chef Gray Rhodes OBE. Not only has the industry lost a true culinary legend, but we have also lost an inspirational human being and a very dear friend.
What is Gary Rhodes’s net worth?
Being a chef, Gary earns the sum of a good amount of money and popularity through his profession. Based on online reports, his estimated net worth said to be $12 million at the time of his death. However, his salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Gary Rhodes?
Before his death, Gary has decent height and weight. He has a pair of hazel eyes and dark brown hair color. His other body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of an update, we will let you know.