Louise Fletcher was an American actress who was renowned for her appearance as Nurse Ratched in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” (1975). She also had a recurring role as the Bajoran religious leader Kai Winn Adami in the television series “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” (1993–99) as well as the role of Sebastian’s aunt Helen Rosemond in the movie “Cruel Intentions” (1999). Her final role was as Rosie in the Netflix series “Girlboss” (2017).
She died away on September 23, 2022, at her residence in Montdurausse, France, at the age of 88.
What is Louise Fletcher Known For?
- Louise Fletcher was an actress from the USA.
- She was known for her role in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975) for which she earned her an Academy Award for Best Actress, a BAFTA Award, and a Golden Globe Award.
Oscar-winning ‘Cuckoo’s Nest’ actor Louise Fletcher dies at 88
Fletcher died at her home in Montdurausse, France, on September 23, 2022, at the age of 88. The actress died of natural causes in her home in France. She had previously survived two bouts with breast cancer. The Oscar-winning actress leaves a void and was considered an underrated actress, despite having received several awards and nominations throughout her career.
She was best known for her performance s Nurse Ratched, but also had prominent roles in well-known films like Flowers in the Attic (1987), alongside Denzel Washington in Virtuosity (1995), and with Ryan Phillippe in Cruel Intentions (1999). Due to her incredible story, in 1982 Fletcher received an honorary degree from Gallaudet University, the most prestigious university in the United States tailored for hard-of-hearing students.
Who are the Parents of Louise Fletcher?
Louise Fletcher was born as Estelle Louise Fletcher on 22nd July 1934 in Birmingham, Alabama, the U.S. She held British nationality and her ethnicity was British-White. She lastly celebrated her 88th birthday as of 2022. She was born as the second of four children of Estelle (née Caldwell) and the Reverend Robert Capers Fletcher, an Episcopalian missionary from Arab, Alabama. Both of her parents were deaf and worked with the deaf and hard-of-hearing.
Her dad founded more than 40 churches for the deaf in Alabama. She and her siblings Roberta, John, and Georgianna were all born without any hearing loss, so she was taught to speak by a hearing aunt. She received a bachelor’s degree in drama from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1957.
Louise Fletcher Career Timeline
- Fletcher initially started appearing in several TV series including Lawman (1958) and Maverick (1959).
- In 1959, she appeared in the second episode of the original Untouchables TV series starring Robert Stack, “Ma Barker and Her Boys”, as Elouise.
- After a year, she made two guest appearances on Perry Mason, as defendant Gladys Doyle in “The Case of the Mythical Monkeys”, and as Susan Connolly in “The Case of the Larcenous Lady”.
- In the summer of 1960, she was cast as Roberta McConnell in the episode “The Bounty Hunter” of Tate.
- In 1974, she returned to film in Thieves Like Us.
- She was then cast as McMurphy’s nemesis Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975).
- After that, she made several financially and critically successful films, while others were box-office failures.
- Her film roles were in such features as Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977), The Cheap Detective (1978), The Lady in Red (1979), The Magician of Lublin (1979), Brainstorm (1983), Firestarter (1984), Invaders From Mars (1986), Flowers in the Attic (1987), Two Moon Junction (1988), Best of the Best (1989), Blue Steel (1990), Virtuosity (1995), High School High (1996), and Cruel Intentions (1999), as the aunt of Ryan Phillippe’s Sebastian.
- She also played the character Ruth Shorter, a supporting role, in Aurora Borealis (2005), and appeared in the Fox Faith film The Last Sin Eater (2007).
- She co-starred in TV movies such as The Karen Carpenter Story (1989) (as Karen and Richard Carpenter’s mother, Agnes), Nightmare on the 13th Floor (1990), The Haunting of Seacliff Inn (1994), and The Stepford Husbands (1996).
- From 1993 to 1999, she held a recurring role in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
- She earned Emmy Award nominations for her guest roles on Picket Fences (1996), and later on Joan of Arcadia (2004).
- In 2009, she appeared in Heroes as the physician mother of character Emma Coolidge.
- In 2011 and 2012, she appeared on four episodes of Shameless.
- She portrayed the recurring role of Rosie in the series “Girlboss” (2017).
Louise Fletcher Awards and Achievements
- Won Saturn Awards in 1984
- Won Satellite Awards in 2016
- Won Palm Beach International Film Festival in 2005
- Won Online Film & Television Association in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2012
- Won Golden Globes in 1976
- Won Faro Island Film Festival in 1975
- Won CinEuphoria Awards in 2020
- Won BAFTA Awards in 1977
- Won Academy Awards in 1976
What is Louise Fletcher’s Net Worth?
Louise Fletcher was an American actress who had a net worth of $3 million as of 2022. Her primary source of income was derived from her acting career. In addition to her compensation for each film as an actress, she earned approximately $1 million annually from her profession.
She had appeared in several movies and TV shows during her career timeline. Her exceptional successes have afforded her a comfortable lifestyle and a few travels in a luxury automobile. She was living a lavish lifestyle prior to her death.
Who was Louise Fletcher married to?
Louise Fletcher was a married woman to literary agent and producer, Jerry Bick in 1960, divorcing in 1977. The couple had two sons, John Dashiell Bick and Andrew Wilson Bick. She took an 11-year break from acting to raise them. Prior to his demise, Fletcher was living a happy life with her sons. Her sexual orientaiton was straight. She was single at the time of her death.
How tall was Louise Fletcher?
Louise Fletcher stood at the height of 5 feet 9 inches. Fletcher recalled having greater success being cast in Westerns due to her height: “I was 5 feet 10 inches (1.78 m; 178 cm) tall, and no television producer thought a tall woman could be sexually attractive to anybody. I was able to get jobs on westerns because the actors were even taller than I was.”
Her body weight consisted of 62 KG. Her body measurement was 41-31-17 inches. She had a pair of green eyes and her hair color was light brown. She had a charming smile on her lips.