Sebastian Vettel is a German racing driver who is best known for his performances under popular teams like Aston Martin, BMW Sauber, Red Bull, and Ferrari. Also, he is renowned for being a successful driver in Formula One history and has won four World Drivers’ Championship titles, which he won consecutively from 2010 to 2013. He is the youngest World Champion in Formula One; he also has the third-most race victories (53) and podium finishes (122), and fourth-most pole positions (57). He got into amateur karting at the age of 3½ years. By the age of 8, he was participating in the karts series. In 2004, he won the German Formula BMW Championship after having won 18 out of 20 races. Because of this, he was given an opportunity to test a Reynard Motorsport Champ Car by Derrick Walker, a former British auto racing team owner. In 2006, the 18-year-old Vettel was promoted as a test driver for Sauber in Formula One. Before the 2006 Turkish Grand Prix, BMW Sauber appointed him as the third driver. On his testing debut at the event, he became the youngest Formula One driver to participate in a Grand Prix weekend. At the end of the 2008 season, his great performance was recognized as the “Rookie of the Year” at the Autosport Awards. At the end of the 2012 season, he won his 3rd consecutive world championship. Also, he became the first racer to have won the triple championship at the age of 25. For the 2021 and 2022 seasons, he left Ferrari to race for Aston Martin. In July 2022, Sebastian Vettel announced his retirement from Formula One racing at the end of the 2022 season.
What is Sebastian Vettel Famous For?
- For his huge success as a Formula One driver.
- Racing for the leading Formula One teams like Toro Rosso, BMW Sauber, Red Bull, and Ferrari.
- Winning multiple Formula One World Championships.
What is Sebastian Vettel Nationality?
Born on July 03, 1987, Sebastian Vettel’s present age is 35 as of 2022. He is from Heppenheim, West Germany. He holds German nationality and his ethnicity is German-White. He has three siblings; Fabian Vettel (Younger Brother) (Racing Driver), Melanie Vettel (Older Sister) (Dental Technician), and Stefanie Vettel (Older Sister) (Physiotherapist for disabled children). He attended the Heppenheimth’s Starkenburg-Gymnasium (academic secondary school). He managed to clear his school-leaving exams (“Abitur”) from the same school.
Sebastian Vettel Career Timeline
- Racing driver, Sebastian Vettel became the then-youngest Formula One driver to participate in a Grand Prix weekend at 19 years and 53 days. He was confirmed as BMW’s test driver for 2007. Later, BMW released him in July 2007 to join Red Bull’s Scuderia Toro Rosso.
- He finished a career-best fourth at the Chinese Grand Prix, having started 17th on the grid while in the mixed condition in his 2008 season.
- He became the youngest driver in history to win a Formula One Grand Prix, aged 21 years and 74 days at the wet Italian Grand Prix.
- He won the Japanese Grand Prix from pole position in early 2009.
- He took the first pole position of the 2010 season at the Bahrain Grand Prix.
- He started the 2011 season with wins in Australia and Malaysia. He completed the year with 15 poles, 11 victories, and 17 podiums from 19 races; Vettel also earned a record total of 392 points.
- He started the 2012 season in second place at the Australian Grand Prix.
- He started the first two races of the 2013 season in pole position, and at the Malaysian Grand Prix.
- In October 2014, Red Bull had announced that Vettel would be leaving the team at the end of the season to join Scuderia Ferrari, one year before his contract was due to expire.
- Next, he made his Ferrari debut by finishing third in the Australian Grand Prix. He ended his 2015 season in third place, however, with three wins and 13 podiums; he declared the season as a ‘miracle’.
- His 2018 season was dubbed the “Fight For Five” by the media, as, for the first time in Formula One history, two quadruple world champions lined up at the start of a season.
- For the first time since 2013, Vettel took three consecutive pole positions as he qualified in first place in Azerbaijan.
- He won for the third time in 2018 at the Canadian Grand Prix.
- He finished fifth in the World Drivers’ Championship in 2019.
- Ferrari later announced they would not extend Vettel’s contract beyond the 2020 season.
- He ended the season in a disappointing 13th place in the Drivers’ standings, with a third place in Turkey as his best result.
- He then joined Aston Martin for the 2021 season.
- He missed the first two races of the 2022 season in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia after testing positive for COVID-19.
- In July 2022, he announced his retirement from Formula One at the end of the 2022 season.
Awards, Honors, and Achievements
- Named Rookie of the Year at the annual Autosport Awards in 2008
- Awarded the Lorenzo Bandini Trophy in 2009
- Awarded the 2009 British Racing Drivers’ Club Johnny Wakefield Trophy for “setting the fastest race lap of the season on the Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit”
- Voted German Sports personality of the Year in 2010
- Won the International Racing Driver category at the Autosport Awards in 2010
- Honored with the Grands Prix de l’Academie des Sports in 2012 for being the “Double consecutive Formula One World Champion at the age of twenty-four – winner of eleven Grands Prix out of nineteen”
- Honoured with the Silbernes Lorbeerblatt
- Voted Formula One driver of the year in 2009, 2011, and 2013 by the team principals, initiated by the Autosport magazine
- Won the DHL Fastest Lap Award in 2009, 2012 and 2013
- European Sportsperson of the Year by the International Sports Press Association in 2010
- BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year in 2013
- Named Sportsman of the Year at the Laureus World Sports Awards in 2014
- Received the Confartigianato Motori Award for Driver of the Year in 2015
How much is Sebastian Vettel Net Worth?
Sebastian Vettel is a successful racing driver whose net worth is estimated to have $220 Million as of 2022. He is making a salary of $15 million (£12.3 million) a year at Aston Martin which puts him fourth on the driver salary list in 2022 but still quite far behind Verstappen’s $43 million a year. In 2016, Forbes estimated that his annual income was $41 million. According to Racing365, the German earned $40 million (£33 million) in salary and endorsements every year that he drove for the Italian outfit. He has appeared in TV commercials for the following brands Head & Shoulders, Infiniti, Total Werbung, UPS, and Braun. Forbes estimates the endorsements add an additional $300,000 (£247,000) to Vettel’s personal wealth every single year. Recently, he announced that he would be leaving Formula 1 after 15 years of racing. His main source of wealth comes from his racing career. He is living a lavish lifestyle at present.
Who is Sebastian Vettel’s Girlfriend?
Sebastian Vettel is a married man. He tied a knot to his long-term childhood sweetheart turned wife, Hanna Prater at a private ceremony in early 2019. They had first met while they were studying in primary school. In January 2014, Prater gave birth to their first daughter, Emilie. They welcomed their 2nd daughter, Matilda into their family in September 2015. Their third child, a boy, was born in 2019. Today, the couple is enjoying their life a lot with their kids. His sexual orientaiton is straight.
How tall is Sebastian Vettel?
Sebastian Vettel is a handsome man with an athletic body type. He stands at the height of 5 ft 8½ in or 174 cm. His body weight consists of 68 kg or 150 lbs. He has light brown hair with blue pair of eyes. He has a very sweet smile. He is a fitness freak.