Shane MacGowan is an Irish singer-songwriter, and musician who is famous for being the lead singer and songwriter of the Celtic punk band “the Pogues“. He was also a member of “the Nipple Erectors” and “Shane MacGowan and the Popes“, as well as producing his own solo material and working on collaborations with artists such as Kirsty MacColl, Joe Strummer, Nick Cave, Steve Earle, Sinéad O’Connor, and Ronnie Drew. He made his debut performance in 1976 at the band The Clash.
What is Shane MacGowan Known For?
- Shane MacGowan is a singer, songwriter, and musician.
- Shane is known as the lead singer of the band “the Pouges”.
The Pogues singer Shane MacGowan hospitalized with an infection
The Pogues frontman, Shane MacGowan has been admitted to hospital, his wife said. His wife Victoria Clarke wrote on Twitter on Monday that MacGowan was “in the hospital again and really hoping to get out asap!”. Clarke, 56, asked that fans “send prayers and healing vibes”, sharing a picture of the Irish musician and songwriter smiling in an armchair and wearing a crucifix on a chain. Shane is best known as the singer of Christmas favorite “Fairytale of New York”.
What is Shane MacGowan Birth Name?
Shane MacGowan took birth on 25th December 1957 in Pembury, Kent, England. Her birth name is Shane Patrick Lysaght MacGowan. He holds Irish-British nationality and his ethnicity is Mixed. He is a Roman Catholic, describing himself as “a free-thinking religious fanatic” who also prays to Buddha. As an adolescent, he considered the priesthood. She was born to Therese (mother), a traditional Irish dancer and singer, and Maurice MacGowan (father), a wages clerk at C&A. His father was from Dublin and his mother was from Tipperary. He has a sister, Siobhan MacGowan.
Shane spent childhood holidays in County Tipperary, though never resided in Ireland. He attended an English public school. In 1971, he graduated with a literature scholarship from Holmewood House preparatory school in Langton Green, Kent, and was subsequently accepted into Westminster School but was expelled from the institution for taking drugs. He had a major nervous breakdown when he was 17 and was admitted to a hospital for six months.
Shane MacGowan Music Career
- Shane was first publicly noted in 1976 at a concert by London punk rock band “The Clash”, where his earlobe was damaged by future Mo-dettes bassist Jane Crockford. A photographer took a picture of him covered in blood, which made the local papers with the headline “Cannibalism at Clash Gig”.
- Next, he joined the punk band “The Nipple Erectors” (later known as ‘The Nips’), which featured Shanne Bradley. In 1983, he started a punk band, “The Pogues”, with whom he recorded five studio albums – “Red Roses for Me”, “Rum Sodomy & the Lash”, “If I Should Fall From Grace With God”, “Peace and Love” and “Hell’s Ditch”.
- As an actor, Shane appeared in the film, “Eat the Rich” in 1987. The members of “The Pogues” were annoyed by his alcoholism and finally kicked him out of the band, in 1991.
- In the year 1994, he formed “Shane MacGowan and the Popes” and released the album, “The Snake”. In 1997, he released “The Crock of Gold” and appeared as a guest on “Holloway Boulevard”, after three years.
- Moreover, he also appeared on “Perfect Day”, by Lou Reed. He then returned with “The Pogues” for a brief sell-out tour in 2001. They performed together as a group, making headlines in the “Guilfest” and the “Azkena Rock Festival”.
- In 2003, Shane toured with his band, “Shane MacGowan & The Popes” through the UK, Ireland, and Europe, which ended almost two years later. After two years, he got back with “The Pogues” and re-released the hit single, “Fairytale of New York” for the “Justice for Kirsty Campaign”.
- In the year 2009, he starred in “Victoria and Shane Grow Their Own”, a reality show. In 2010, he performed in Dublin with a backing band called “The Shane Gang”.
- He made a return to the stage on 13 June 2019 at the RDS Arena in Dublin as a guest for Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders.
- In the year 2020, she returned to the studio to record several new songs with the Irish indie band Cronin led by brothers Johnny and Mick Cronin.
Shane MacGowan Awards and Achievements
- In January 2018, MacGowan was honored with a concert gala to celebrate his 60th birthday at the National Concert Hall in Dublin, where he was presented the Lifetime Achievement Award by Irish President Michael D. Higgins.
- Won the 2018 Ivor Novello Inspiration Award
Who is Shane MacGowan married to?
Shane MacGowan is a married man. He tied the knot to his beautiful wife, Victoria Mary Clarke. They got married on 26th November 2018 in Copenhagen after a decades-long relationship and subsequent 11-year engagement. Victoria Mary Clarke is an Irish journalist. They reside in Dublin. The duo is enjoying their present life a lot without any disturbances. His sexual orientation is straight.
How much is Shane MacGowan’s Net Worth?
Shane MacGowan is a singer-songwriter who has released several songs and albums during his career frame time. As of 2022, the net worth of Shane is estimated to have $25 Million. He is making a salary of around $1 Million. His primary source of wealth comes from the music industry. He is satisfied with his earnings and he is living a luxurious lifestyle from his earnings. He is a very hardworking and dedicated man when it comes to his professional career.
How tall is Shane MacGowan?
Shane MacGowan is a handsome man with a perfect height of 5 feet 10 inches. She has a body weight of 76 KG. He has got an average body type. MacGowan has said he ‘dreaded’ getting his teeth fixed despite having lost almost all of them. Now he has a new set of new teeth. He has got an attractive personality with amazing vocals. He was hospitalized for an infection on December 6, 2022. He has got a healthy body.
Leave a Reply