Alfred Joel Horford Reynoso shortly named Al Horford is a Dominican professional basketball player. He is playing for the current team, Philadelphia 76ers of the National Basketball Association (NBA). His playing position is Power forward / Center. Starting off his basketball career by playing for the University of Florida for the Gators, he was drafted with the third overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft by the Atlanta Hawks, a team he played nine seasons with before joining the Celtics in 2016. In November 2010, the Atlanta Hawks inked a contract extension with him worth $60 million, which secured his stay with them for 5 more years. In July 2016, the Boston Celtics signed him up as a restricted free agent on a four-year contract worth $113 million. He signed a four-year, $97 million (with $12 million in bonuses) contract with the Philadelphia 76ers. He is the highest-paid Latin American basketball player. In the year 2008, he made his first TV show appearance on the sports talk show, “Rome Is Burning”.
Philadelphia 76ers to trade Al Horford to pick for Danny Green
The Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday agreed to trade veteran big man Al Horford and a package of draft pick to the Oklahoma City Thunder. Philadelphia is sending Horford, the No. 34 overall picks in Wednesday night’s NBA Draft, a lightly protected 2025 first-round selection, and the draft rights to Serbian guard Vasilije Micic to the Thunder in exchange for guards Danny Green and Terrance Ferguson. The 34-year-old Horford signed a four-year, $109 million contract with the 76ers as a free agent last summer. In his lone season in Philadelphia, he averaged 11.9 points his fewest since the 2008-09 campaign, and 6.8 rebounds per game.
- Being a successful and popular basketball player.
- Being a five-time NBA All-Star.
What is the Birthplace of Al Horford?
Born with the full name/birth name of Alfred Joel Horford Reynoso, his date of birth is 3rd June 1986 in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. He holds Dominican nationality and his ethnic background is Dominican-Black. His race is Black. He has Bahamian and Dominican ancestry. Gemini is his Zodiac sign. He was born to his parents Tito Horford (father), a former professional basketball player, and Arelis Reynoso (mother). He has four siblings named Anna Horford (Younger Sister) (Social media star), Maria Horford (Younger Sister), Josh Horford (Younger Brother), Jon Horford (Brother). He is currently residing in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. As per his education, he attended the Grand Ledge High School. After graduating, he got enrolled at the University of Florida on an athletic scholarship. He graduated from the university in 2007.
How was the Basketball Career of Al Horford?
- Initially, Horford took an athletic scholarship to attend Florida. There, he played for coach Billy Donovan. He helped the Gators win the 2005 Southeastern Conference Tournament championship in the 2004-2005 season. In the 2005-2006 season, the Gators won the SEC championship for a second time.
- He missed a series of games due to injury in the 2006 season. He became the fourth player on his team to score 1,000 career points against Kentucky after his recovery.
- He was selected by the Atlanta Hawks with the third overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft on 28th June 2007. He then signed his rookie scale contract with the Hawks on 9th July.
- He averaged 10.1 points, 9.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 0.9 blocks, 0.7 steals and 31.4 minutes in 81 games (77 starts) in the 2007-2008 season.
- He started all 67 games he played in, averaging 11.5 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.4 blocks and 0.8 steals in 33.5 minutes in the 2008-2009 season.
- He became the first Hawks draft pick to earn an All-Star berth in the 2009-2010 season. He contributed 14.2 points, 9.9 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.1 blocks and 0.7 steals in 35.1 minutes (.551 FG%, .789 FT%), appearing in 81 games.
- He signed a five-year, $60 million contract extension with the Hawks on 1st November 2010.
- He was an All-Star during the 2011 NBA All-Star Weekend. He was also a member of the Atlanta team that won the Shooting Stars Competition.
- He posted averages of 15.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.0 blocks and 0.8 steals (.557 FG%, .500 3FG%, .798 FT%) in the 2010-2011 season.
- On 17th January, he underwent surgery to repair the muscle and was ruled out for three-to-four months.
- He started all 74 games he played in, averaging a career-high 17.4 points, career-high 10.2 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.1 blocks and 1.1 steals in 37.2 minutes in the 2012-2013 season.
- He was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week for the first time in his career on 26th November 2012.
- He posted nine double-doubles and scored in double-figures 28 times, including 13 20-point outings and one 30-point game during the 2013-2014 season.
- He played in 76 regular-season games during the 2014-2015 season.
- He recorded his first career triple-double with 21 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists in a 105-87 win over the Philadelphia 76ers on 13th January 2015.
- He played in all 82 regular-season games for the first time in his career during the 2015-2016 season.
- He became an unrestricted free agent on 1st July 2016. He signed a four-year, $113 million contract with the Boston Celtics on 8th July.
- He made his debut for the Celtics in their season opener on October 26, 2016, scoring 11 points in a 122-117 win over the Brooklyn Nets.
- On 19th March 2017, he scored a season-high 27 points in a 105-99 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.
- He had 14 points, 10 rebounds, and nine assists in a 113-101 loss to the Raptors on 19th October 2018.
- On 10th July 2019, he signed with the Philadelphia 76ers. An unrestricted free agent, he signed a four-year, $97 million (with $12 million in bonuses) contract.
Awards and Achievements of Al Horford
- 5× NBA All-Star (2010, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2018)
- All-NBA Third Team (2011)
- NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2018)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (2008)
- 2× NCAA champion (2006, 2007)
- Second-team All-American – NABC (2007)
- Third-team All-American – AP (2007)
- SEC Tournament MVP (2007)
Who is Al Horford married to?
Al Horford is a married man. He married his beautiful wife, Amelia Vega. His spouse, Amelia is famous for being the first woman of Dominican origin to win the Miss Universe title, in 2006 at the Latin Pride Awards. They began dating almost four years after having met for the first time. When they did start dating, he was sure that Amelia was the one he was going to marry. In the year 2011, they got married in a lavish and romantic wedding ceremony. In February 2015, she gave birth to their son, Ean. In the year 2016, the couple welcomed a baby girl, Alia, into their family. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
Back then, he dated Nia Riley in the year 2008 for a year. Their love life ended in the year 2009.
What is the Net Worth of Al Horford?
Al Horford is a professional basketball player who has made a huge amount of money throughout his career. He signed a 4 year / $109,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia 76ers, including $97,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $27,250,000. Back then, he signed a four-year, $113 million contract with the Celtics in 2016 which averages his salary to be $28.25 million annually. As of 2020, the net worth of Al Horford is estimated to have $60 Million. He is also making a good amount of money from endorsements. His endorsements include brands like Intel, Nike, Unilever among others. His major source of wealth comes from his basketball career.
How tall is Al Horford?
With an athletic body build, Al Horford stands tall at the height of 6 ft 10 in or 208 cm. His balanced weight consists of 111 Kg or 245 lbs. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. He has a tall height with an athletic physique. He maintains his body a lot by doing frequent exercise, yoga, and physical activities. He is a fitness freak. He usually consumes somewhere between 3500-4000 calories per day.