Alejandro Mayorkas is a Cuban-American lawyer and former government official who is best known for serving as 6th United States Deputy Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security from December 23, 2013, to October 31, 2016, under the former and 44th US president, Barack Obama. Mayorkas is a member of the Democratic political party.
He is also a partner in the law firm of Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr since joining on November 1, 2016. He got listed among the Latino Leaders Magazine’s list of the 101 most influential leaders in the nation’s Latino community in 2019. He also served as the youngest United States Attorney for the Central District Californian from December 21, 1998, to April 20, 2001.
Besides on November 23, 2020, Mayorkas got nominated for the post of Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security by the US president-elect, Joe Biden who will be inaugurated as the 46th president on January 20, 2021.
This post of Secretary of Homeland Security is the greatest post for Mayorkas to be nominated for in his whole political career. He is also the first Cuban-American to be nominated for the post and if he gets selected he will be the first immigrant to do so. As of now, Chad Wolf is the current acting United States Secretary of Homeland Security since November 2019.
He is active in the social media platform with around 66.4k followers on his Twitter account: @AliMayorkas
What is Alejandro Mayorkas famous for?
- Famous as a Cuban-American lawyer and former government official
- Known for being the former and 6th deputy secretary of the US Department of Homeland Security
Where is Alejandro Mayorkas from?
Alejandro Mayorkas was born on November 24, 1959, in Havana, Cuba. He holds a Cuban-American nationality. His birth name is Alejandro N. Mayorkas. His ethnicity is Latino. Scorpio is his zodiac sign. He is of Cuban descent. He is Jewish.
Mayorkas was born to a Cuban family. After his birth, his family moved to Miami, Florida, the United States in 1960 as refugees, following the Cuban Revolution. His father was a Cuban Jew of Sephardic background who owned and operated a steel wool factory while his mother is a Romanian Jew. He has a sister. Later, his family moved to Los Angeles, California. He did his schooling at a local school. Later, he attended the University of California, Berkeley, and got graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree with distinction in 1981. Then, he earned his Juris Doctor from Loyola Law School in 1985.
Alejandro Mayorkas Career: Highlights
- Alejandro Mayorkas started his career as a lawyer by working as a litigation associate in the private practice of law for three years.
- He then became an Assistant United States Attorney in the Central District of California in 1989.
- He also served as the coordinator of the Southern California Telemarketing Fraud Task Force.
- Mayorkas has served as Chief of the Office’s General Crimes Section from 1996-1998. During his tenure, he received awards from federal law enforcement agencies.
- In the year 1998, he became the youngest United States Attorney after he was appointed as the United States Attorney for the Central District of California by then-president, Bill Clinton.
- He resigned from his post in January 2001.
- He also received numerous law enforcement awards including the US Postal Inspection Service’s highest award.
- Then in September 2001, he joined the international law firm of “O’Melveny & Myers LLP” as a litigation partner.
- He also got listed in The National Law Journal’s list of “50 Most Influential Minority Lawyers in America in 2008.
- He was selected for a role in the presidential transition leading up to the inauguration by 44th US president, Barack Obama in November 2008.
- Mayorkas then got appointed as the director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services(USCIS) by Obama in 2009. His work as director of USCIS was appreciated a lot and earned him many awards including “Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund.
- Then, he got promoted from his post and he began serving as the Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security on December 23, 2013, under the Obama Administration.
- During his tenure, his work focused on cybersecurity and he also led the DHS’s negotiations with Israel and China on cybersecurity.
- He resigned from his post on October 28, 2016.
- He returned to private practice by joining the law firm of Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr in the firm’s Washington office in October 2016.
- He also got selected to serve as the Chairman of the United States Chamber of Commerce’s Cyber Leadership Council since July 2017.
- Recently on November 23, 2020, he got nominated for the post of Secretary of Homeland Security by President-elect Joe Biden in Biden’s cabinet. He also became the first Cuban-American to be nominated for the post.
Alejandro Mayorkas Wife
Alejandro Mayorkas is a married man. He is currently married to his only wife. The couple is blessed with three daughters. However, he has not revealed his wife’s and daughter’s identities. He is very dedicated to his work. At present, he and his family is living a happy life together in Los Angeles.
Alejandro Mayorkas Net Worth
Alejandro Mayorkas is a lawyer and politician who has quite healthy earnings from his stable and successful career. Having his professional political career started in 1989 that lasted for over 31 years and still ongoing, Mayorkas has managed to amass a wealthy fortune estimated to be around $4 million as of 2020. He is living a lavish and luxurious lifestyle with his earnings.
Alejandro Mayorkas Height
Alejandro Mayorkas is a good looking man in his early 60s. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 8inches.(1.72m) while his body weighs around 71kg(156lbs). He has a fair complexion with bald hair and green eyes. He wears a shoe of size 6(US).