Alexander Wang is an American fashion designer. He started an eponymous fashion brand, Alexander Wang in 2005. He has been serving as the CEO and chairman of the Wang brand since 2016. He rose to prominence after he won the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Award in 2008. He served as the Creative Director at Balenciaga from November 2012 to July 2015. He has been associated with several other fashion houses as well. Many high-profile celebrities have worn his designs.
He faced a sweatshop lawsuit in 2012. Several workers complained about the labor conditions that Wang provides. The lawsuit was settled out of court with undisclosed terms. He faced another allegation in December 2020 after several models who worked with him over the years came forward via social media to accuse him of sexual assaults.
He has over 5.5 million followers on Instagram, 750k followers on Twitter, and 833k followers on Facebook.
What is Alexander Wang Famous For?
- Founder/CEO/Chairman of Alexander Wang Fashion Brand.
Where is Alexander Wang From?
Alexander Wang was born on 26 December 1983. His birth name is Alexander Wang. His birth place is in San Francisco, California in the United States. He holds an American nationality. His mother’s name is Ying Wang. Information about his father is not available at present. He has Taiwanese ancestry. He has a brother named Dennis. He belongs to Asian-American ethnicity and his religion is Christianity. His zodiac sign is Capricorn.
Regarding his educational background, he attended Harker School and Stevenson School, and Drew School. He attended elementary and middle school at the Harker School and ninth grade at the Stevenson School. He completed his high school education at Drew School. He then moved to New York City at the age of 18. He attended Parsons School of Design for two years. He left his studies without graduating to begin his professional career.
Alexander Wang Career
- Alexander Wang worked for Parsons for two years.
- He then launched his own fashion label, Alexander Wang in 2005.
- His own fashion brand started with a knitwear collection.
- He presented a complete women’s ready-to-wear collection on the New York catwalk for the first time in 2007. He earned critical acclaim for his collections.
- He won the CDFA(Council of Fashion Designers of America)/Vogue Fashion Fund Award in 2008. He was awarded $20,000 to expand his business.
- He launched his first handbag collection in 2008.
- He used black as the predominant color in his design collections.
- He used bright colors such as orange, dusty purple, aqua, and hot pink in his designs for Spring 2009 collections.
- He won the Swarovski Womenswear Designer of the Year in 2009.
- He also won the Swiss Textiles Award in 2009.
- He won the Swarovski Designer of the Year Award in the Accessory category in 2010.
- He opened his first flagship store in SoHo, Lower Manhattan in February 2011.
- Wang is credited with rejuvenating an otherwise dissolving area into fashion’s Lower Manhattan epicenter.
- He won the CFDA’s Best Accessory Designer Award in 2011.
- He became the Creative Director at Balenciaga in November 2012.
- Wang oversaw the Women’s and Men’s ready-to-wear and accessory lines.
- His first Fall-Winter 2013 Balenciaga collection took place in February 2013.
- Fashion Group International honored him with the ‘Fashion Star’ award in October 2013.
- He became the designer for Swedish-based fashion retailer H&M in April 2014. His men and women collections became available at H&M stores and online in November 2014. His collection also included his selected accessories.
- He left Balenciaga on mutual consent in July 2015. His departure was announced via press release on 31 July.
- He returned to his own company in 2016 to become its CEO and chairman. He succeeded his mother, Ying Wang, and sister-in-law, Aimee Wang.
- He hosted the 2016 New York Fashion Week show.
- He sued over 45 defendants operating 459 websites in 2016 that sold counterfeit goods bearing its name. He won the lawsuit and was awarded $90 million. The reward is mostly symbolic. Neither Wang nor the brand likely received the amount.
- HypeBeast named Wang as one of their top 100 influencers in the fashion industry in 2017.
- Popular celebrities Kim Kardashian West, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Kylie Jenner, Nicki Minaj, and Miley Cyrus among others have worn his creations.
The New York Post reported a $50 million lawsuit against Wang for running a sweatshop in Chinatown, Manhattan in March 2012. The article reported that roughly 30 workers have complained about labor conditions. The $50 million per charge added up to $450 million for the 9 charges in total. The lawsuit was settled with undisclosed terms.
Alexander Wang Partner
Alexander Wang’s sexual orientation is gay. He is openly gay. He supports the LGBTQ community. To celebrate Pride and support the LGBTQ community, he partnered with Trojan to release a limited-edition “Protect Your Wang” capsule collection. He is not married. He maintains a private life. Details about his dating history and relationships will be updated soon.
He lives in New York. He owns several other residencies as well.
Alexander Wang Height
Alexander Wang stands at a height of 1.65 m i.e. 5 feet and 5 inches tall. He has a bodyweight of 143.5 lbs i.e. 65 kg. He has a slim body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. He usually keeps his hair long.
Alexander Wang Net Worth
Alexander Wang earns from his professional career as a fashion designer. He is the founder of his own fashion brand that has sold millions of his designs. Besides his own brand, he has worked with several other fashion houses as well. Summing up, he has made his fortune working in the fashion industry. At present, he has an estimated net worth of around $90 million. He lives a luxurious life.