Cassandra Monique Batie, better known by her stage name, Andra Day, is an American singer, songwriter, and actor, who is best known for her debut album “Cheers to the Fall” which she released in 2015. Her debut album peaked at 48th position on the US Billboard Hot 200 chart and it also earned her nomination for Best R&B Album.
Her debut single “Rise Up” also earned her a Daytime Emmy Award nomination. Andra also won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture-Drama for her role as Billie Holiday in the 2021 biopic “The United States vs. Billie Holiday” and also got nominated for Academy Award for Best actress.
Her recent work as an actress in the biographical film, “The United States vs. Billie Holiday”(2021) has earned her much recognition and popularity. With her up growing popularity she has managed to amass a healthy following on social media sites: with over 419k followers on Instagram: @andradaymusic and over 323k followers on Twitter: @AndraDayMusic.
What is Andra Day famous for?
- Famous as an American singer, songwriter, and actor
- Known for the debut album “Cheers to the Fall” and its hit single “Rise Up”.
Source: [email protected]
Where is Andra Day from?
Andra Day was born on December 30, 1984, in Edmonds, Washington D.C, United States. Her birth name is Cassandra Monique Batie. She holds an American nationality. Her ethnicity is African-American while Capricorn is her zodiac sign.
Andra was born in a middle-class family in Washington. When she was just three, her family moved to southern California and she got raised along with her sister in Southeast San Diego, California. She grew up in a religious family where she used to visit the church regularly. At a very young age, she began singing at the First United Methodist Church in Chula Vista, California. Also at the age of 5, she started taking her dance classes.
She did her schooling at Valencia Park Elementary School. As a child, she was very much interested in singing and dancing rather than playing with dolls. So, she also participated in the school’s music and theatre team. When she was 12, she listened to the songs of jazz vocalists like Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, and Dinah Washington which made her inspiration to pursue her career as a singer.
Andra then joined the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts in Paradise Hills and later got graduated in 2003. Soon after her high schooling, she worked about 20 different jobs even performed at a strip mall.
Andra Day’s Career Highlights
- Andra Day started her career initially when she got signed to a development deal with Buskin Records in 2011.
- Her initial popularity rose when she began uploading her cover songs and mashups on YouTube including Jessie J’s “Mamma Knows Best”, Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”, and Muse’s “Uprising” among others.
- She soon began performing at several shows; “Jimmy Kimmel Live!”, “Good Morning America”, 2015 Special Olympics, and 2015 BET Awards.
- She made her official debut with the release of her first studio album, “Cheers to the Fall” on August 28, 2015. It was even nominated for the 58th Grammy Awards that peaked at 48 on the Billboard 200 list.
- She began her national tour in August and September 2015. Her single, “Rise Up” was so popular that she performed the song at The White House.
- In 2016, she signed an agreement with McDonald’s and Coca-Cola that saw her image on around 50 million cups at McDonald’s.
- In December 2016, she even received the Powerhouse Award at the Billboard Women in Music event.
- In 2017, she became a part of the lead single of the film, “Marshall” titled “Stand Up for Something” with rapper Common which even got nominated for Academy Awards.
- On March 24, 2018, she performed with the Baltimore Children’s Choir for the opening musical performance at the March for Our Lives rally.
- Her debut movie was “Marshall” where she had a minor role of nightclub singer followed by the voice role of Sweet Tea in “Cars 3”.
- She got her biggest breakthrough in the cinema world when she has cast the lead role of Billie Holiday in the bio-pic film, “The United States vs. Billie Holiday” in 2021. For which she won a Golden Globe for Best Actress–Drama.
Andra Day’s Dating and Relationship
Andra Day is currently single and isn’t seeing anyone at the moment. However, she has been in a relationship with her boyfriend Don Bowie before in 2015. Don is a professional Canadian high altitude climber about whom she opened up while her interview with Glabor in 2016. However, their relationship didn’t last long.
In May 2021, she revealed her porn and sex addiction in recent interviews and also said that playing Billie Holiday helped her find strength after battling that addiction.
Andra Day’s Net Worth
Andra Day has quite good earnings from her professional career as a singer and actress. Having her career started initially as a YouTube singer covering popular songs, Andra has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the popular Grammy-nominated singers and also a marvelous actress in her decade-long career.
Her source of income is surely her music deals, contracts, songs, and movies including which she has a net worth estimated to be around $4 million.
Andra Day’s Height
Andra Day is a gorgeous lady with a well-maintained body physique in her 30s. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 8inch.(1.73m) while her body weighs around 59kg(130 lbs). She has her own bold personality which can be certain through her body features which have a measurement of 37-28-38 inches. She has a brown complexion skin with distinct curly brown hair and sparkling big dark brown eyes.