Andrew R. Jassy, popularly known as Andy Jassy is an American multimillionaire businessman who is the CEO of Amazon Web Services. Having joined Amazon in 1997, he has been leading AWS since its inception in 2003. Jassy will become the CEO of Amazon replacing Jeff Bezos, who is set to step down as the CEO of Amazon in the third quarter of 2021. Bezos will become the executive chairman of Amazon.
As a businessman, he also has investments in the NHL team, Seattle Kraken. He is also the chairman of a charter school based in Seattle, Rainier Prep.
He has over 85k followers on his Twitter.
What is Andy Jassy Famous For?
- Next CEO of Amazon.
- Current CEO of Amazon Web Services.
Where is Andy Jassy From?
Andy Jassy was born on 13 January 1968. His birth name is Andrew R. Jassy. His birth place is in Scarsdale, New York in the United States. He was born to a father, Everett L. Jassy, and a mother, Margery Jassy. He has Hungarian ancestry. He belongs to white ethnicity and his religion is Jewish. His zodiac sign is Capricorn.
His father, Everett was a senior partner in the corporate law firm in New York, Dewey Ballantine, and chairman of the firm’s management committee. He grew up in Scarsdale.
Regarding his educational background, he attended Scarsdale High School. After graduating from high school, he attended Harvard College where he obtained his Bachelor’s degree. He then worked for 5 years before doing his MBA. He later obtained his MBA from Harvard Business School.
Andy Jassy Career
- Before doing an MBA, Andy Jassy worked for 5 years in several companies.
- He worked as a project manager for a collectibles company, MBI.
- Jassy, along with his MBI colleague started a company. The company did not run long.
- Jassy, along with several other Harvard MBA colleagues joined Amazon in 1997.
- He worked as a marketing manager among his early roles at Amazon.
- Jassy and Bezos came up with the idea to create the could computing platform, Amazon Web Services in 2003.
- Jassy has led AWS since its inception in 2003.
- AWS was launched in 2006 with Jassy leading its team.
- He eventually became the CEO of AWS in April 2016.
- After Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos announced to step down as the CEO of Amazon in the third quarter of 2021, Jassy will succeed Bezos as the CEO of Amazon.
- Bezos will become the executive chairman of Amazon.
- He is also the founder of Amazon Music, a music streaming platform and online music store. It sells music without DRM from the four major music labels, EMI, Universal, Warner, and Sony BMG.
- He is the chairman of Rainier Prep, a charter school in Seattle.
Andy Jassy Wife
Andy Jassy is a married man. He is married to Elana Rochelle Caplan. She is the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science graduate and a fashion designer for Eddie Bauer. The couple tied a knot to each other in 1997. Elana’s cousin, New York Rabbi James Brandt officiated their wedding. The couple has two children together.
The family lives in a 10,000-square-foot mansion in Capitol Hill. They bought the house for $3.1 million in 2009. Jassy bought a 5,500 square-foot mansion worth $6.7 million in Santa Monica, California in 2020.
Andy Jassy Height
Andy Jassy stands at an average height of around 5 feet and 10 inches tall. He has a body weight of around 70 kg. He has an average body build. His eye color is hazel and his hair color is light brown. His sexual orientation is straight.
Andy Jassy Net Worth
Andy Jassy is a multimillionaire businessman. His fortune has grown significantly after he joined Amazon in 1997. He earned $36.6 million in 2016, the same year he was promoted to CEO of AWS. He received a restricted stock unit award in April 2018 for 10,000 shares (a value of $30,089 as of July 2020), which vest 37.5% in 2021, 12.5% in 2022, 37.5% in 2023, and 12.5% in 2024. He earned a base compensation of $175,000, plus a restricted stock unit award of 4,023 shares (a value of $12,104,844.93 as of July 26, 2020) of Amazon with vesting beginning in 2023. The soon-to-be CEO of Amazon is going to make fortune once he assumes the position of CEO of Amazon.
He also has other business ventures. He is one of the minority owners of the NHL team, Seattle Kraken, and is the chairman of a charter school in Seattle, Rainier Prep. He is the owner of several houses that worth millions. He lives in a house on Capitol Hill that was bought for $3.1 million in 2009. He also has a house in Santa Monica, bought for $6.7 million in 2020.
As of February 2021, his net worth is estimated at $440 million.