Annissa Essaibi George is an American politician. She currently serves as an at-large member of the Boston City Council where she is the chair of the Committee on Homelessness, Mental Health, and Recovery. She is a candidate in the 2021 Boston mayoral election. Essaibi George has often been described as a “centrist” or “moderate” candidate as well as a police-friendly candidate. Ellen Barry of The New York Times also described Essaibi George as promising “more harmonious dealings” with developers than her opponents.
Michelle Wu and Annissa Essaibi George To Face Off In Boston Mayoral Race
For the first time in 200 years, Boston voters have narrowed the field of mayoral candidates to two women of color who will face off against each other in November. City Councilors Michelle Wu and Annissa Essaibi George topped the five-person race in Tuesday’s preliminary runoff. They bested acting Mayor Kim Janey, City Councilor Andrea Campbell and John Barros, the city’s former economic development chief. All five were candidates of color – a major shift away from two centuries of Boston politics dominated by white men. Whoever wins on Nov. 2 will make history in a city that has never elected a woman or Asian American mayor. For the past 200 years, the office has been held exclusively by white men. Wu and Essaibi George’s advancement to the general election ushers in a new era for the city which has wrestled with racial and ethnic strife.
Everything You Need To Know About Michelle Wu
What makes Annissa Essaibi George so famous?
- Being a politician who is serving as an at-large member of the Boston City Council.
- Being a candidate in the 2021 Boston mayoral election.
Where is Annissa Essaibi George From? Details About Her Age, Family, Education
Annissa Essaibi George took birth on 12th December 1973. Her place of birth is in Boston, Massachusetts, the USA. She holds American nationality and she came from a Mixed ethnic background of Polish-American-Tunisian as her father is of Tunisian descent and her mother is of Polish descent. She was born to her father, Ezzeddine, and her mother whose name is unavailable at a moment. Her parents met while studying in Paris. Her mother was born to Polish parents in a displaced person camp in Germany but grew up in Boston. Her parents relocated to the USA in 1972, settling in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston. She also has three siblings with whom she grew up. She was raised Catholic while her father was a practicing Muslim. Her Zodiac sign is Sagittarius as per her birth date. Her present age is 47 as of 2020.
About Annissa Essaibi George’s education, she graduated from Boston Technical High School (now the John D. O’Bryant School of Mathematics & Science) before going on to study at Boston University, where she was a political science major. While in college, she interned in the Washington, D.C. office of Max Baucus. After graduating, she worked as the Student Services Liaison at the Boston Private Industry Council. She continued her education by earning a master’s degree in education from the University of Massachusetts-Boston, later teaching social studies electives at East Boston High School from 2001 to 2014.
Annissa Essaibi George Political Career Timeline
- Annissa Essaibi George became an at-large member of the Boston City Council in January 2016, following the November 2015 election; she was re-elected in November 2017 and November 2019. She is a supporter of the Democratic party.
- She has been considered an ally of former Boston mayor Marty Walsh.
- Her proposal to create a new program to help provide for safe sharps waste disposal was passed by the City Council in October 2020.
- She partnered with fellow city councilor Michelle Wu to propose a measure that would provide paid leave to municipal employees that feel ill after receiving the vaccine in early 2021 amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In July 2021, amid her mayoral campaign, she denied allegations made in an investigative article published in The Boston Globe that she had used her office to try to prevent the construction of a building that would block the views of a building owned by her husband, a real estate developer.
- She has chaired committees, including both the Committee on Education and the Committee on Homelessness, Mental Health, and Recovery.
- She confirmed on 27th January 2021 stating that she would run in the 2021 Boston mayoral election, considered a “wide open” race due to the then-expected confirmation of Mayor Walsh as United States Secretary of Labor; Walsh was confirmed to his Cabinet post in March.
- She is the only one of the election’s five major candidates to oppose cutting the Boston Police Department’s budget.
- She has also expressed her belief that the city needs to increase the size of its police force. However, she has proposed police reform as well.
- In the preliminary election on September 14, unofficial results show George got 22.4% of the vote and beat acting mayor Kim Janey and several other challengers to take second place, enough to advance to the general election with Michelle Wu.
Annissa Essaibi George Campaign Platform
Annissa Essaibi George’s campaign platform describes gun violence as a “racial justice issue, a public health issue, and a public safety issue”. Her platform to address climate change promises to, “take a community-based approach to fight environmental injustices; fight for greener, environmentally sustainable development across our city; work with every City of Boston department and agency to build, remodel, and invest in green, energy efficient, sustainable infrastructure, facilities, and motor vehicles; invest in green jobs; promote a green economy; invest in our open green spaces; and partner with stakeholders at the local and state level”. Her platform includes a plan on education and child care that promises to, “use her experience as a Boston Public Schools teacher, a Boston Public Schools parent, a Boston Public Schools graduate, and current Chair of Boston City Council’s Committee on Education to ensure that every child has equal access to high quality schools and the necessary resources for lifelong success.” Her transportation plan promises that she would “make improvements that put people first” and “center transportation policy around equity and justice”. Her platform also contains plans on “equity, inclusion, and justice”, and “inclusive and thoughtful growth”.
Annissa Essaibi George Personal Life: Who is Her Husband?
Annissa Essaibi George is a married woman. She married her handsome husband, Doug George who is a real estate developer by profession. The duo shares four sons together including a set of triplets. As of today, the duo is enjoying their life happily. Her sexual orientation is straight.
How much is Annissa Essaibi George Net Worth?
Annissa Essaibi George is a politician by profession who has made a cool amount of money from her career work. She is working as an at-large member of the Boston City Council. The net worth of Annissa Essaibi George is estimated to have $3 Million as of September 2021. She is also the founder and owner of a retail store in Dorchester called Stitch House, which sells yarn and fabrics and offers classes in knitting, sewing, quilting, and crochet. Her main source of wealth comes from a political career and she is living a cool lifestyle as of today.
How tall is Annissa Essaibi George and how much does she weigh?
Annissa Essaibi George is a very beautiful woman who stands at the perfect height of 5 ft 8 in and her balanced bodyweight consists of 54 KG. Her body build is slim. She maintains her body a lot and she is very conscious about her food intake. Overall, she has got a healthy body with a charming personality attracting a lot of people towards her.