Ariel Helwani, a talented Canadian journalist is well known for primarily covering mixed martial arts. He is also an MMA reporter who previously worked for companies like Fox Sports 1 and MMAFighting.com. Well-respected within his industry, he has won seven consecutive MMA Journalist of the Year awards between 2010 and 2017. At the beginning of 2015, Helwani won the Journalist of the Year award in 2014 and 2018 as well. Additionally, he announced his departure from ESPN after failing to reach terms on a new contract in June 2021 whereas in the same month, he announced his return to MMA Fighting and Vox Media as host for The MMA Hour and SB Nation’s MMA Fighting.
Ariel Helwani slams Joe Rogan and Brendan Schaub for spreading misinformation about his UFC ban
More than five years after the UFC banned MMA journalist Ariel Helwani from covering their events for revealing information about Brock Lesnar’s surprise return at UFC 200, the incident has been brought up again, thanks to podcaster and former UFC fighter Brendan Schaub. Brendan Schaub spoke about Ariel Helwani’s UFC ban on his podcast Below the Belt based on certain statements UFC commentator and podcaster Joe Rogan made at the time.
Speaking to UFC bantamweight champion Aljamain Sterling on the latest episode of The MMA Hour, Ariel Helwani slammed both Joe Rogan and Brendan Schaub for making statements about him that were false and could potentially harm his reputation and career. Helwani set the record straight yet again, dismissing the claim that he had revealed any “off the record” information to the public.
“What Joe Rogan had spewed is 1000% false. What Brendan Schaub has then paraded is 1000% false. Joe Rogan sources Dana White, Brendan sources Joe Rogan. I think you know me long enough… if someone tells me something off the record, and I am sure you have told me things off the record, if I go out and report it, I should be done. There is no way I would practice that kind of journalism and still be here thirteen years later. If you tell me something in confidence and I report it, I should never be talking to you again. I should be outlawed. I should be banned from covering the sport – any promotion.” Ariel Helwani said. Helwani then went on to take shots at Rogan and Schaub for being irresponsible about what they were saying on their platform. He also addressed Brendan Schaub’s comments separately on The MMA Hour as well.
- Being a Canadian journalist.
- For primarily covering mixed martial arts.
Where is Ariel Helwani from?
Ariel Helwani stepped into the world for the very first time on 8th July 1982 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. He is of Canadian nationality and he belongs to a mixed ethnic background as his mother is from Lebanon, and his father is from Egypt. He follows Mizrahi’s Jewish religion. Ariel has celebrated his 39th birthday as of 2021 and as per his birthdate, his star sign is Cancer. Thus, his race is white. He has not shared much regarding his parents.
Moving to Ariel’s education, he attended the Akiva School and Herzliah High School whereas he graduated from Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications in Syracuse, New York in 2004.
What does Ariel Helwani do for a living?
- Ariel Helwani began his mixed martial arts career professionally in 2006 as he worked for “MMA Fighting” before joining ESPN in May 2018.
- He then served as an “MMA Insider” for Fox Sports 1’s weekly UFC Tonight show and another pre-and post-event programming.
- He is the former co-host of the Sirius XM radio show Fight Club whereas he’s interim vice president of the Mixed Martial Arts Journalists Association. He hosted a show called “Ariel & The Bad Guy” previously at ESPN.
- He and two colleagues were escorted out of UFC 199 before the main event on 4th June 2016. He earlier reported the return of Brock Lesnar at UFC 200, hours before UFC announced it on the broadcast, without notifying UFC first. UFC president Dana White was displeased.
- Later he detailed the incident in an emotional broadcast on the June 6 episode of “The MMA Hour”.
- As well, he claimed that he was removed from the Showtime broadcast team for the Mayweather vs. McGregor press tour however joined ESPN from SB Nation’s MMAFighting.com in June 2018.
- He hosted Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show on Twitter and YouTube while at ESPN as well as he contributed to occasional ESPN broadcasts of the NBA.
- Ariel announced his departure from ESPN after failing to reach terms on a new contract in June 2021 and in the same month he also announced his return to MMA Fighting and Vox Media as host for The MMA Hour and SB Nation’s MMA Fighting as well as joining BT Sport and The Ringer.
Awards and Achievements
- Ariel Helwani was named “MMA Journalist of the Year” in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 World MMA Awards.
- “FIGHT!” Magazine named him as one of their “Power 20” in 2011.
- Helwani won “2014 Journalist of the Year” in the Awakening WMMA Awards at the beginning of 2015.
To whom Ariel Helwani is Married?
Ariel Helwani is a marreid journalist. He tied a knot with his beautiful wife Jaclyn Stein in 2008 with whom he is blessed with three children, a daughter, and two sons. Ariel and Jaclyn both seem extremely happy in their domestic life. There’s much love between the two and hope it will remain as same as in the future too. Talking about his sexual orientation, he is straight.
What is the Net Worth of Ariel Helwani?
Ariel Helwani has a net worth of $8 million as of 2021. He also earns a fine amount of salary which is around $500,000 per year. With his hard work and luck by his side, he can double the amount of wealth he has today. In addition, his major source of income is from his journalist career and he is sincere in his work.
How tall is Ariel Helwani?
Ariel Helwani is 5 ft and 11 inches tall whereas his body weighs around 110 kg. His heart-warming smile, his entire demeanor, and his gradual escalating popularity in journalism make him the perfect catch. Ariel has good-looking short black hair and dark brown eyes color. His body build type is average.