A retired former professional boxer is named Azumah Nelson who started his boxing career in the year 1979 making his last fight in 2008. He is considered one of the greatest African boxers of all time. During his career, he was a two-weight world champion, having held the WBC featherweight title from 1984 to 1987 and the WBC super-featherweight title twice between 1988 and 1997. In the year 1990, he challenged for the unified WBC and IBF lightweight titles. As of today, he is ranked as the 31st greatest pound for pound boxer of all time by BoxRec. He fought 46 bouts in his entire career winning 39 of them. He has been told he can expect to become the first African inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame. During his 19-year professional career, he stopped 28 of his opponents within the distance, recording a total of 38 wins, four losses, and two draws. Among opponents he beat were Mexican Marcos Villasana, Mario Azabache Martinez, Australian Jeff Fenech, and Briton Jim McDonnell. His four defeats were at the hands of Pernell Whitaker, Jesse James Leija (twice), and Genardo Hernandez.
- Being a former professional boxer who competed from 1979 to 2008.
- Being a two-weight world champion, having held the WBC featherweight title from 1984 to 1987 and the WBC super-featherweight title twice between 1988 and 1997.
What is the Birthplace of Azumah Nelson?
On 19th July 1958, Azumah Nelson was born in Accra, Ghana; his birthplace/hometown. By nationality, he is Ghanian and he belongs to the Ghanian-African ethnicity. His race is Black. Cancer is his Zodiac sign and his religion is Christian. As of 2020, he celebrated his 62th birthday. During his 60th birthday, he organized a fight night to celebrate at the Bukom Boxing Arena. It took place in July 2018. This event brought fighters from highly rated gyms to fight in their divisions. Details about his parent’s information and siblings have not been revealed yet by him either by any sources yet.
How was the Career of Azumah Nelson?
- Azumah Nelson’s amateur career began by competing at the 1978 All-Africa Games and 1978 Commonwealth Games where he won gold medals in the featherweight class in both.
- What’s more, he was awarded Amateur Boxer of the year by the Sports Writers Association of Ghana (SWAG) in the year i.e 1978.
- After that, his professional career began by challenging WBC featherweight champion Salvador Sanchez on 21st July 1982 at the Madison Square Garden in New York.
- In the year 1983, he won all four of his fights and then started the year 1984 where he defeated Hector Cortez on 9th March in Las Vegas.
- Similarly, he fought against Wilfredo Gomez in round 11 where he defeated and won the WBC featherweight championship.
- After that, his 1988 year began by defeating Mario Martinez in Los Angeles and grabbed the WBC super featherweight title by defeating him.
- He also won against world champion Gabriel Ruelas in the fifth round on 1st December 1995.
- During the third bout between Leija and Azumah, his first defense took place. He then retained the title with a six-round knockout in the year 1996.
- Whereas, he lost the Lineal & WBC titles in the year 1997 facing Genaro Hernandez.
- After then, he fought against Jesse James Leija where he lost the match. He once again lost the fight against Jeff French in the year 2008 which took place in Victoria.
- Talking about his professional boxing record, he won 39 matches out of which 28 via knockouts; 6 defeats out of which 1 via knockout and two-match were drawn.
- In the year 2014, his biography was published which was written by Ashley Morrison entitled “The Professor – The Life Story of Azumah Nelson” (ISBN 978-1628571059)”. It was published by Strategic Book Publishing.
Who is Azumah Nelson married to?
Azumah Nelson is a married man. He married his beautiful wife/spouse, Peggy Nelson. He has a son whose name goes by Azumah Nelson Junior. His son is being trained as a boxer by him. As of today, the couple is enjoying their life a lot without any kind of disturbances. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay. There is no further news about his affairs and extramarital rumors.
How much is Azumah Nelson Net Worth & Salary?
Azumah Nelson is a former professional boxer who has made a huge amount of money from his earnings. He is also considered one of the greatest boxers of all time and is being ranked as the 31st greatest pound for pound boxer of all time by BoxRec. As of 2020, the net worth of Azumah is estimated to have between $1 Million – $5 Million whereas his exact career earnings and salary are still to get unfold yet. His major source of wealth comes from his boxing career. As of today, he is living a cool lifestyle from the earnings he made during his career span.
How tall is Azumah Nelson?
Azumah Nelson is a very handsome man. Being at the age of sixty, he has maintained his body a lot by doing frequent exercises. He has a tall height of 165 cm or 5 ft 5 in and his balanced weight consists of 69 KG. His highest reach is 173 cm or 68 in. Whereas his other body measurements such as chest size, waist size, biceps size, and more are still to get disclosed yet.