Spice is a Jamaican singer-songwriter, businesswoman, and dancehall recording artist. She is also called the “Queen of Dancehall” and she is recognized as one of the most prominent dancehall artists in the world. She got her first major success with the controversial single “Romping Shop” with Vybz Kartel in 2009.
After that, she released her debut EP, So Mi Like It (2014), and joined the cast of VH1’s reality television series Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta in season seven in 2018. Her first full-length project, a mixtape titled Captured was released in 2018. Her long-delayed debut studio album, “10” (2021), was nominated for Best Reggae Album at the 64th Grammy Awards in 2022. Her recent second studio album “Emancipated” was released in 2022.
What is Spice Known For?
- Spice is a deejay, singer, songwriter, and actress from Jamaica who is best known as the “Queen of Dancehall”.
- She is known for the release of various tracks including Romping Shop, So Mi Like It, and Captured.
What is Spice’s Real Name?
Spice was born with the real name of Grace Latoya Hamilton on August 6, 1982. She is from Spanish Town, St. Catherine, Jamaica but was raised in Portmore. She held Jamaica nationality her ethnicity is Jamaican-African, Her father died when she was nine years old. As a child, she used to attend her church regularly and lead the choir. She spent part of her childhood living with her grandparents in Finsbury Park, London. Her present age is 40 as of 2022.
Spice attended school before returning to Jamaica. While a student at St. Catherine High School, she frequently participated in the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC) festival in the music category and earned several medals throughout the years. She next enrolled at the Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts to study music and drama. She then began experimenting with dancehall music and soon after generated interest in her community and its environs with her deejaying abilities at local stage shows.
How was the Career of Spice?
- Spice made her music debut in 2000 after she performed at the annual dancehall festival Sting.
- She earned the attention of Baby Cham (singer-songwriter) while she was on the tour in the UK.
- After that, she released her first single for Kelly’s Madhouse Records label entitled “Complain which was followed by her singles on the Bad Gal riddim, “Right There” with Toi and “Hype”.
- She was featured on Jimmy Cliff’s “I Want I Do I Get” from his album Black Magic (2004) and on Beenie Man’s “Hot” from his album Concept of Life (2006).
- In late 2008, she collaborated with fellow dancehall artist Vybz Kartel on the single “Romping Shop”.
- In July 2009, she signed a recording contract with VP Records.
- In 2010, she released the single “Jim Screechie”.
- In 2011, she released a remix of her song “Fun”.
- She also collaborated with Mýa on the single “Take Him Out” from Mýa’s sixth album K.I.S.S. (Keep It Sexy & Simple).
- She gained more fame with her single “So Mi Like It”.
- She starred as Candy in her first theatrical feature film “Destiny”, which was released on 2 April 2014.
- In addition, she recorded the song “No Push Over” for the film’s soundtrack.
- Her debut EP “So Mi Like It”, named after the single of the same name, was released on 2 December 2014. The EP features five songs, including “So Mi Like It” and “Conjugal Visit” featuring Vybz Kartel.
- In May 2015, she released “Needle Eye”.
- In May 2016, she was featured alongside Jeremih on Kid Ink’s single “Nasty”.
- After a month, she released the single “Indicator”.
- For 2016’s Red Bull Culture Clash, she joined forces with Mixpak and won the clash over Wiz Khalifa & Taylor Gang, and others.
- In April 2017, she released the single “Sheet”.
- In June, she appeared on a remix of Jax Jones’s “You Don’t Know Me”.
- In August, she was featured alongside Sean Kingston and Lady Leshurr on Charlie Sloth’s “I Can Do” from his album The Plug.
- After she made a guest appearance in season six of VH1’s reality TV show “Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta”, she joined the show as a cast member in season seven.
- Her next single came with the title “Black Hypocrisy”. The single debuted at number one on the Billboard Reggae Digital Song Sales chart.
- Her debut mixtape, Captured, was released on 2 November 2018.
- In October 2019, she appeared with Sean Paul on the remix of Stylo G’s “Dumpling”. The same month, she released the single “Tables Turn”.
- In November, she was featured on Krept and Konan’s track “First Time”.
- In March 2020, she announced the release of her debut studio album, which was executively produced by Shaggy. Its lead single, “Frenz”, was released to streaming platforms on 18 December 2020.
- “Go Down Deh”, featuring Shaggy and Sean Paul, was released as the album’s second lead single on 30 April 2021.
- Her debut studio album, “10”, was released on 6 August 2021, debuting at number six on the Billboard Reggae Albums chart. It was nominated for Best Reggae Album at the 64th Grammy Awards in 2022.
- In November 2021, Shaggy confirmed Spice’s departure from VP Records.
- Then, she announced the release of her second studio album, “Emancipated”. Its lead single, “Clap Clap”, was released on 22 July 2022.
- On 25th August 2022, she shared via Twitter a short snippet of the uncensored music video for “Tape Measure”, the album’s second single.
- The album “Emancipated” was released on 26 August 2022, debuting at number seven on the Billboard Reggae Albums chart.
- She was also featured alongside Capella Grey on Karlie Redd’s single “Werk”, and on Stefflon Don’s “Clockwork”.
- In September, she collaborated with Nigerian singer Yemi Alade on the single “Bubble It”.
- In October, she appeared in Skeng and Nicki Minaj’s remix of “Likkle Miss” called “THE FINE NINE REMIX”.
How much is Spice’s Net Worth?
Spice is a Jamaican dancehall recording artist, singer, and songwriter who has a net worth of $5 million as of 2022. She is making her yearly salary in thousands of dollars. Her main source of wealth comes from the music industry. Through her social media, she has either endorsed or promoted various brands such as Boom Bod.
In 2009, Spice launched her clothing boutique chain, Spicey Couture, in Jamaica. As of 2020, the chain is no longer active. In 2010, Spice opened a beauty salon called Spicey Salon in Kingston. She also opened a sports bar and lounge called 8 Ball in her hometown of Portmore. In May 2019, Spice launched Faces & Laces, an online beauty store that initially offered a line of wigs. In October 2020, Spice launched her clothing line called Graci Noir.
Who is Spice’s Boyfriend?
Spice is currently single after her separation from her ex-boyfriend, Justin Budd. She is enjoying her present life a lot. She is concentrating on her career right now rather than being in a relationship. Her sexual orientation is straight.
In 2009, she became engaged to her long-time boyfriend, Nicholas Lall. The duo were in a relationship since 2006. The duo is blessed with a son, Nicholas Jr, (b. August 22, 2007), and a daughter, Nicholatoy (b. January 21, 2011). The couple later called off the engagement and ended their relationship in 2016. After that, in 2020, she began dating American cinematographer Justin Budd, whom she met in Atlanta. The couple ended their relationship in 2022.
How tall is Spice?
Spice is a beautiful singer with a height of 5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm. Her bodyweight consists of 82 Kg or 181 lbs. Her body type is Voluptuous. She has Dark Brown hair color. She prefers to dye her hair blue, aqua blue, or blonde. Her eye color is Dark Brown. She has a curvaceous physique. She has a tattoo of musical tones on her right hand.
Leave a Reply