Brittany Murphy was an American actress and singer who was well known for her breakthrough role as Tai Frasier in a comedy film, “Clueless”(1995). Murphy was also known for her several roles in hit movies including “Freeway”(1996), “Bongwater”(1998), “Don’t Say a Word”(2001), and “8 Mile”(2002).
She gained much popularity and fame with her brilliant acting and singing as she released her hit single titled “Faster Kill Pussycat” in 2006. She was even in a band called Blessed Soul in the early 1990s. Murphy however passed away real soon at the age of 32 on December 20, 2009, suffering pneumonia.
What was Brittany Murphy Famous for?
- Famous for her role as Tai Frasier in a comedy film, “Clueless”(1995).
Where was Brittany Murphy Born?
Brittany Murphy was born on November 10, 1977, in Atlanta, Georgia, United States. Her birth name was Brittany Anne Bertolotti. Her nationality was American. Murphy belonged to White ethnicity while Scorpio was her zodiac sign.
Brittany Murphy was born as the only daughter of her parents, Sharon Kathleen Murphy(mother) and Angelo Joseph Bertolotti(father) who divorced when she was just 2 years old. Her mother is of Irish and Eastern European descent mother while her father is of Italian ancestry.
Brittany was raised by her mother in Edison, New Jersey, and wasn’t named as her father on Brittany’s first death certificate. She also has three half-siblings: two older half-brothers, Tony Bertolotti and Jeff Bertolotti, and a younger half-sister, Pia Bertolotti.
Murphy grew up as a Baptist in New Jersey where she attended Edison High School, before moving to California, Los Angeles in 1991, for Brittany to pursue a career in acting. She always had an interest in acting since her childhood that she wanted to pursue a career in it. attended Verne Fowler School of Dance and Theatre Arts in Colonia, New Jersey, in 1982.
She even began training in singing, dancing, and acting, since the age of 4 until she relocated to California at the age of 13.
How Did Brittany Murphy Die?
Brittany Murphy died on December 20, 2009, due to pneumonia. She was found collapsed in a bathroom and was then transported to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where she died at 10:04 after going into cardiac arrest at the age of 32.
On February 4, 2010, the Los Angeles County coroner stated there were secondary factors of her death which were iron-deficiency anemia and multiple drug intoxication. On Feb 25, it was released that Murphy had been taking a range of over-the-counter and prescription medications, which was the most likely reason being to treat a cold or respiratory infection.
On December 24, 2009, Murphy was buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Hollywood Hills with all the honor and love. Her widower Simon Monjack was found dead at the same Hollywood Hills residence on May 23, 2010. His cause of death was identified to be acute pneumonia and severe anemia.
In November 2013, Murphy’s father, Angelo Bertolotti took the samples of her dead daughter’s hair testing which had a toxicology report that showed a deliberate poisoning by heavy metals, including antimony and barium, was a possible cause of Brittany Murphy’s death.
Brittany Murphy’s Career Highlights
- Brittany Murphy made her Broadway debut as Catherine, in a revival of Arthur Miller’s play, “A View from the Bridge” in 1997.
- Murphy got her first Hollywood role when she was 13, as Brenda Drexell in the series, “Drexell’s Class”.
- She then played the role of Molly Morgan in the short-lived The Torkelsons spinoff, “Almost Home”. She also appeared in several series including, “Parker Lewis Can’t Lose”, “Blossom”, “seaQuest 2032”, “Murder One” and “Frasier”.
- Murphy got her biggest breakthrough role as Tai Fraiser in the teen comedy, “Clueless” in 1995.
- A year later, in 1996, she played the role of Rhonda in the dark comedy crime film, “Freeway”.
- She then starred as Mary in a black comedy film, “Bongwater” and as Deliverance Bodine in an action film, “Drive” in 1997.
- In 1999, she had a supporting role in James Mangold’s “Girl, Interrupted” alongside Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie.
- She also voiced the character, Luanne Platter, on Fox’s animated sitcom, “King of the Hill” from 1997 till 2009.
- In 2001, Murphy starred as a lead role of Elisabeth Burrows in thriller film, “Don’t Say a Word” alongside Michael Douglas.
- Murphy got more recognition with her appearance as Alex Latourno in a drama film, “8 Mile” alongside rapper Eminem in 2002.
- She then starred as Sarah in a romantic comedy film, “Just Married” alongside Aston Kutcher in 2003. The same year, she was seen in “Uptown Girls” and “Good Boy!”.
- Murphy followed with several independent films, including “Spun”(2002), “Neverwas”(2005), “The Dead Girl”(2006), “Sidewalks of New York”(2001), “The Groomsmen”(2006), “Little Black Book”(2004), and “Sin City”(2005).
- She was cast as the main character, Cilla, in the Lifetime TV movie, “Tribute” in 2009.
- Murphy completed the thriller drama, “Abandoned” in June 2009 and it was released in 2010, after her death.
- Murphy began her music career with the release of her single, “Faster Kill Pussycat” on June 6, 2006, alongside Paul Oakenfold from the album “A Lively Mind”. The song became a club hit and hit number one on Billboard’s Hot Dance Club Play chart.
- She also covered Queen’s “Somebody to Love” and Earth, Wind & Fire’s “Boogie Wonderland” in film, “Happy Feet”.
- Besides, Murphy was also in a band called Blessed Soul with fellow actor Eric Balfour in the early 1990s.
Who was Brittany Murphy Married to?
Brittany Murphy previously dated popular actor, Aston Kutcher in 2002 who was her co-star in the film, “Just Married”. However, their relation didn’t last long and they broke up. She was once engaged to talent manager Jeff Kwatinetz, but that also didn’t take the right path and while she was working on the film, “Little Black Book” she met the production assistant, Joe Macaluso with whom she got engaged in December 2005. However, in August 2006, they ended their engagement.
Murphy got married for once to her only husband, Simon Monjack, with whom she tied a knot in a private Jewish ceremony in Los Angeles in May 2007. Murphy was living a happy life with her husband, Monjack, and her mother, in the same house in Hollywood Hills where Murphy was found collapsed on December 20, 2009, and Monjack’s dead body May 23, 2010. They never had a child and is survived by her parents.
In January 2010, Murphy’s mother, Sharon, and her widower, Simon Monjack, established the Brittany Murphy Foundation, which was a charitable fund for children’s arts education, as well as supporting the USO and cancer research. On November 10, 2013, the Brittany Murphy Foundation was officially relaunched by her father Angelo Bertolotti.
What was the Net Worth of Brittany Murphy?
Brittany Murphy had quite great earnings from her professional career as an actress and singer. Having worked in the show business for over a decade, she had managed to amass a healthy fortune from her several films and series.
Her net worth at the time of her death was around $10 million. With a million worth fortune, Murphy had managed to live undoubtedly a lavish lifestyle.
How Tall was Brittany Murphy?
Brittany Murphy was a gorgeous lady in her early 30s at the time of her death. Murphy had won several hearts all around the world with her stunning body physique and talent. She had a height of 5ft. 3inch.(1.60m) while her body weight was around 49kg(108 lbs).
She had a fair complexion with blonde hair and dark brown eyes. Her body measurement was 33-25-35 inches with 32B as her bra size and 2(US) as her shoe size.