Yvette Marie Stevens better known by her stage name Chaka Khan is an American singer and songwriter. She is also known as the “Queen of Funk” and she was the first R&B artist to have a crossover hit featuring a rapper, with “I Feel for You” in 1984. She has won ten Grammy Awards and has sold an estimated 70 million records worldwide. She has achieved three gold singles, three gold albums and one platinum album with I Feel for You during her solo career. She has been nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice and she was first nominated as a member of Rufus in 2011. As of 14th January 2019, her 12th studio album Hello Happiness title song Chaka Khan-Hello Happiness was released. Overall, she is a very talented singer.
Chaka Khan Joins Fergie in Pantheon of Memorable NBA National Anthem Performance
It takes a lot to make a performance of “The Star-Spangled Banner” before the NBA All-Star Game trend higher on social media than the game itself, but Chaka Khan has managed what Fergie was able to two years ago, with a unique rendering of the National Anthem that threatened to render anything that followed an afterthought. In 2018, Fergie seemed to almost be sex-ing up the anthem, performing it in a style some compared to Marilyn Monroe. Khan wasn’t doing anything nearly that conceptually risible, but she did bring a level of extreme melisma to her reading that not everyone seemed able to follow, to say the least.
What is the birthplace of Chaka Khan?
Chaka Khan was born on 23rd March 1953 as Yvette Marie Stevens in Chicago, Illinois, the USA. She was born to her parents; Charles Stevens and Sandra Coleman. She was raised in Hyde Park with her four siblings: Taka Boom, Kathleen Burrell, Tammy McCrary, Mark Stevens. She was eldest among five in her family. Taka Boom is an American successful female R&B and dance music singer. Her brother Mark Stevens is also a former funk group band Aurra member and he is also a musician. About her education, she graduated from elementary school of Saint Thomas the Apostle Church. In 1969, she dropped out of Calumet High School and Kenwood High School. She also attended the Berklee College of Music to learn music. As of 2019, she celebrated her 66th birthday with her friends. She is American by nationality and her ethnicity is Mixed. She is Christian by religion.
How Chaka Khan began her Singing Career?
- When Chaka was 11, she formed a girl group, the Crystalettes, along with her sister Taka.
- In the year 1964, Yoruba Baba was named Chaka Adunne Aduffe Hodarhi Karifi.
- She then started to perform with Cash McCall’s group Lyfe, her first husband Hassan Khan was also a member of this group.
- She asked to join the Baby Huey and the Babysitters band but the group was disbanded within a year.
- In the year 1972, she was introduced to the band Rufus by replacing the singer Paulette McWilliams.
- Musician Ike Turner gives this band an opportunity to record at his studio Bolic Sound in Inglewood, California.
- The group released their eponymous debut album, released on the ABC Records label in the year 1973.
- A song by Rufus Tell Me Something Good written by Stevie Wonder, be the hit song and reach at the top three on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1974. They also get Grammy Award from this song.
- Their second parent album, Rags to Rufus, go platinum, selling over a million copies.
- Rufus band released six albums, Platinum-selling, Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan, Ask Rufus, Street Player, and Masterjam.
- In the year 1979, she again reunited with Rufus for a song Do You Love What You Feel from the album Masterjam. She sang with Tony Maiden.
- Her solo career started when she sighed with Warner Bros in the year 1978.
- She released her first solo debut album Chaka and the first song I’m Every Woman written by Ashford & Simpson.
- She reunited with Rufus to collaborate on the Jones-produced Masterjam, which featured their hit “Do You Love What You Feel” in 1979.
- Her solo album What Cha’ Gonna Do for Me, Echoes of Era and Chaka Khan were released.
- In the year 1984, she released a sixth studio album, I Feel for You which took her solo career into another level because it achieved great success and reached No. 1 in the U.K. The song reached No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in December 1984, also remained on the chart for 26 weeks plus, it was No.1 on the Cash Box chart and won the Grammy Award for Best R&B Song in 1985.
- Other singles that helped the I Feel For You album go platinum included “This is My Night” and the ballad “Through the Fire”, the latter of which was also successful on the adult contemporary chart.
- She was featured in Steve Winwood’s 1986 number-one hit, “Higher Love”.
- She found more success in the late 1980s with a remix album, Life Is a Dance: The Remix Project, which reached the top ten on the British albums chart.
- In the year 1990, she was a featured performer on another major hit when she collaborated with Ray Charles and Quincy Jones on a new jack swing cover of The Brothers Johnson’s “I’ll Be Good to You”, which was featured on Jones’s Back on the Block.
- In 1996, following the release of her greatest-hits album, Epiphany: The Best of Chaka Khan, Vol. 1, she abruptly left Warner Bros. after stating the label had neglected her and failed to release Dare You to Love Me.
- In 1998, she signed a contract with Prince’s NPG Records label and issued Come 2 My House, followed by the single “Don’t Talk 2 Strangers”, a cover of a 1996 Prince song.
- In 2000, she departed NPG and she released her autobiography Chaka! Through The Fire in 2003.
- She also covered “Little Wing” with Kenny Olson on the album Power of Soul: A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix.
- In 2008, Khan participated in the Broadway adaptation of The Color Purple playing Ms. Sofia to Fantasia Barrino’s Celie.
- She was a guest singer with the song “Alive” in 2009.
- In the year 2010, she contributed to vocals for Beverley Knight’s “Soul Survivor”, collaborated with Clay Aiken on a song for the kids show Phineas and Ferb, and performed two songs with Japanese singer Ai on Ai’s latest album The Last Ai.
- She was given the 2,440th Hollywood Walk of Fame star plaque on a section of Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles on 19th May 2011.
- In August 2014, she served as grand marshal at the 85th annual Bud Billiken Parade and Picnic in her hometown of Chicago.
- She was announced as one of the celebrities who would compete on season 21 of Dancing with the Stars on 27th August 2015.
- In July 2016, she canceled concert performances and entered rehab.
- In June 2018 she released a new single called “Like Sugar”, a collaboration with Major Lazer member Switch.
- Like sugar” is included on her 2019 album Hello Happiness which was released on February 15, 2019 and is her first album in twelve years.
- She served as Grand Marshal in the 2019 Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade on 1st January 2019 in Pasadena, California.
- On 25th June 2019, The New York Times Magazine listed her among hundreds of artists whose material was reportedly destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire.
- In November 2019, Khan collaborated with Ariana Grande on the song “Nobody” from the soundtrack Charlie’s Angels.
- She competed in season 3 of The Masked Singer as Miss Monster in 2020 but she was eliminated and unmasked in the third episode.
- She was invited to sing the National Anthem at the 2020 NBA All-Star Game.
What is the Net Worth of Chaka Khan?
The net worth of this famous singer as well as a songwriter is believed to have $30 Million as of 2020. The average salary of a musician or singer of the U.S. is around $40K the US, Chaka earns way more than that though her singing, endorsements, shows, and much more. Her main income source is from a singing career. Overall, she is satisfied with her earnings. She is living a luxurious lifestyle from her earnings.
Who is the husband of Chaka Khan?
Chaka Khan is a married woman and she has been married thrice. She is the mother of two, daughter Indira Milini and son Damien Holland. Her first marriage was to Hassan Khan, in 1970, when she was 17, which ended in divorce a short time later. Milini’s birth was the result of a relationship between Khan and Rahsaan Morris. She then married her second husband, Richard Holland, in 1976. The marriage reportedly caused a rift between Khan and several members of Rufus, in particular, Andre Fischer. He filed for divorce in 1980, citing “irreconcilable differences.” After that, she married Doug Rasheed in the year 2001. As of now, the duo is living a happy life without any disturbances. They are enjoying their life a lot.
How tall is Chaka Khan?
Being at the age of 66, Chaka Khan still looks very beautiful with a charming smile on her face attracting a lot of people towards her. She has got a black hair color with dark brown eyes. She stands at the tall height of 5 feet 4 inches and her balanced weight consist of around 75 kg. Her other body measurements such as breast size, hips size and more will be updated soon. Overall, she has got a healthy body.