Christopher Armas is an American professional soccer coach and former player who is excellently known as Chris Armas. Chris certainly isn’t a common household name but he has done plenty of work in the MLS during his career, both as a player and as a coach. He was a member of the Chicago Fire from 1998 to 2007 and the US national team from 1998 to 2005. He played four years of college soccer at Adelphi University before making his professional debut with the USL’s Long Island Rough Riders in 1994. Chris has won the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2002 and 2005 with the United States national team. He also played soccer for the Los Angeles Galaxy of the Major League Soccer, Puerto Rican national soccer team, and United Staes national soccer team. Additionally, Armas was hired as head coach of Toronto FC, replacing Greg Vanney in 2021.
Manchester United to hire American coach Chris Armas as the first new member of Ralf Rangnick’s backroom staff
Manchester United is set to appoint American coach Chris Armas as the first member of new interim manager Ralf Rangnick’s backroom staff. Armas has been given his work permit and will now await official confirmation of his appointment by the club. The American knows Rangnick from his days managing MLS side New York Red Bulls when the German was appointed as head of sport and development for Red Bull GmbH between 2019-2020 and was in charge of overseeing global football initiatives. The 49-year-old was last employed at Toronto FC but was sacked after just six months in charge earlier this year following the club’s biggest ever defeat – when they lost 7-1 to D.C. United.
- Being an American professional soccer coach and former player.
- For being a member of the Chicago Fire from 1998 to 2007 and the US national team from 1998 to 2005.
Where is Chris Armas from?
Chris Armas stepped for the very first time into the world on 27th August 1972 in New York City, U.S. He is American by nationality and American-white by ethnicity. Likewise, he follows the Christian religion. Chirs has celebrated his 49h birthday as of 2021 and as per his birthdate, his zodiac sign is Virgo. Thus, his race is white. His family’s details have not been revealed yet.
Regarding Chris’s education, he graduated from St. Anthony’s High School and then attended Adelphi University from 1990 to 1993, amassing 17 goals and 15 assists over his collegiate career. He was also named an NCAA Division I First Team All-American his senior year.
What does Chris Armas do for a living?
- Chris Armas started his football career spending 1994 and 1995 playing for the USISL’s Long Island Rough Riders where he was selected as a USISL All-Star.
- He was drafted by Los Angeles Galaxy in the first round of the Major League Soccer Supplemental Draft and played a significant role in their first and second seasons in 1996.
- Then Chicago Fire acquired him in a trade for their inaugural 1998 campaign which was with the 1998 Fireteam that Armas emerged as an exceptional player, helping them win their first MLS Championship that year.
- He was named to the MLS Best XI four consecutive times between 1998 and 2001 as well as he was named to his fifth Best XI after the 2003 MLS season, in addition to being named the MLS Comeback Player of the Year.
- He was named U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year in 2000 whereas, in ten years in MLS, he totaled 11 goals and 41 assists, plus added four goals and four assists in the playoffs.
- He announced on 19th April 2007 that the 2007 MLS season with the Chicago Fire would be his last, as he decided to retire. His retirement was made official on 13th November 2007, after spending 12 years in MLS.
- As well, he played for Puerto Rico in the 1993 Caribbean Cup. He was also therefore later allowed to switch his allegiance to the United States, for whom he made his debut on 6th November 1998 against Australia. He went on to earn 66 caps.
- Subsequently, he did not break into the squad until soon after the 1998 FIFA World Cup, and his ACL injury came just before the 2002 FIFA World Cup, so he was never able to play for the United States in the World Cup.
- He was named as a standby player for the 2006 FIFA World Cup and did not feature in the final squad.
Chris Armas Coaching Career
- Chris Armas served as an assistant coach for the Chicago Fire in 2008 and was the head women’s soccer coach at Adelphi University between 2011 and 2015.
- He was promoted to head coach of New York Red Bulls after former manager Jesse Marsch departed the club to join RB Salzburg as an assistant on 6th July 2018.
- He also helped the Red Bulls finish first in the regular season, winning the Supporters’ Shield as a result. The Red Bulls were eliminated in the conference finals by Atlanta United FC. The team was in the middle of a scoring slump when Armas parted ways with the club on 4th September 2020, the day after a 0-1 loss to D.C. United.
- Moreover, Armas was hired as head coach of Toronto FC, replacing Greg Vanney in 2021 and on 4th July 2021, following a 7-1 loss to D.C. United, the largest loss in club history and a league record of 1 win, 8 losses, and 2 draws, the team announced he had been fired.
Awards and Achievements
- CONCACAF Gold Cup: 2002, 2005
- U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year: 2000
- MLS Cup: 1998
- Supporters’ Shield: 2003
- U.S. Open Cup: 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006
- MLS Best XI: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003
- MLS All-Star (6): 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004
- MLS Comeback Player of the Year: 2003
- Chicago Fire MVP: 2003
- New York Red Bulls
- Supporters’ Shield: 2018
Who is Chris Armas Wife?
Chris Armas is a married guy. He tied a knot with his beautiful wife Justine with whom he is blessed with two sons, Christopher and Aleksei. There’s much love between the two. Basically, Justine’s understanding and their strong love bond have helped them stay glued for this long. Concerning Armas’s sexual orientation, he is straight.
What is the Net Worth of Chris Armas?
Chris Armas has a net worth of $15 million as of 2021 whereas his salary is around $2 million per year. He also earned a decent amount from his playing career as well. Chris was in a soccer-playing career for quite a long time so his earnings from his playing career are estimated above $15 million. He received a salary of around $225,000 in 2007 when he was playing for the Chicago Fire and was the second-highest-paid player of the team at that time. In addition, Chris’s major source of income is from his soccer coach and former player.
How tall is Chris Armas?
Chris Armas is 5 ft 7 in (170 cm) tall and his body weighs around 150 lbs. He has a bald head and dark brown eyes color. Moreover, his body build type is athletic. Chris is healthy, fit, and fine up to the date, and hope his health will support him like this in the coming days too.