A British-American film director who is considered one of the most acclaimed and successful filmmakers of the 21st century is named for Christopher Nolan whose ten films have grossed over US$4.7 billion worldwide and garnered a total of 34 Oscar nominations and ten wins. He is best known for making personal, distinctive films within the Hollywood mainstream. He began making short films while he was in college and gained international recognition after he directed the film ‘Memento’. He is also popular for directing ‘The Dark Knight’ film trilogy. He also received tremendous popularity for the film ‘Inception’ which is considered to be one of the best sci-fi psychological thrillers in Hollywood. His film ‘Dunkirk’ is considered to be one of the greatest war films ever made. “Time” magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2015, and in 2019, he was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire for his services to film. His eleventh feature, “Tenet”, is scheduled to be released by Warner Bros. on 17th July 2020.
Christopher Nolan’s Biggest Film: “Tenet”
Warner Bros. has debuted the official trailer for Christopher Nolan’s highly-anticipated espionage thriller, starring John David Washington and Robert Pattinson as secret agents who embark on a time-bending mission to prevent World War III. The ensemble cast also includes Elizabeth Debicki, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Kenneth Branagh, Dimple Kapadia, Clemence Poesy, and Nolan regular Michael Caine. Nolan re-teamed with his “Interstellar” and “Dunkirk” cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema for the project, while also collaborating for the first time with composer Ludwig Göransson (an Oscar winner for “Black Panther”). While the “Tenet” plot is remaining under wraps, one thing moviegoers do know is that the film is Nolan’s biggest to date. The production budget of the film is in the $200 million range, making it one of the most expensive original films ever made, and Nolan shot the film in seven countries around the world. The “Tenet” trailer debuted on Fortnite, followed by a conversation with Washington. “I’m overwhelmed with joy and disbelief,” the actor said about the trailer. “There’s little nuggets of information and breadcrumbs of info about the movie that I was surprised that he was going to reveal. And I love that he did.” Warner Bros. is scheduled to open “Tenet” in theaters July 17, although the trailer does not include the date and only says it’s “coming to theaters.”
- Being a British-American filmmaker known for making personal, distinctive films within the Hollywood mainstream.
- For directing the films like Inception, The Dark Knight (Trilogy), Interstellar, and The Prestige.
What is the birthplace of Christopher Nolan?
On 30th July 1970, Christopher Nolan was born. His real name/birth name is Christopher Edward Nolan. His birthplace/hometown is in London, England, UK. His nationality is English and his ethnicity is English-White. His race is White. His father Brendan James Nolan was an advertising executive, while his mother Christina was a flight attendant as well as an English teacher. Talking about his siblings, he has two brothers; Matthew Francis Nolan (Older Brother), Jonathan “Jonah” Nolan (Younger Brother) (Screenwriter, Television Producer, Director, Author). Since his childhood, he began shooting short films with his action figures using a camera he borrowed from his father. His horoscope sign is Leo and he is non-religious as per his religion. For his education, he attended Haileybury and Imperial Service College, in Hertford Heath, Hertfordshire. He then got enrolled at University College London (UCL) to pursue a course in English literature. During his college years, he made short films, such as ‘Tarantella’ and ‘Larceny.’ In the year 1997, he made another short film titled ‘Doodlebug” which is a psychological thriller film that conveyed a deep spiritual meaning despite being only three minutes long. As of 2019, he celebrated his 49th birthday.
How did Christopher Nolan begin Filming Career?
- Christopher Nolan released his first feature, “Following” in the year 1998 which he directed, wrote, photographed, and edited the film which tells a story of a young man who follows strangers around the streets of London.
- However, the movie was made on a small budget of $6,000, it received a huge popularity-accumulated a whopping $240,495 at the box office.
- After the success of “Following”, he directed the 2000 American neo-noir psychological thriller film, ‘Memento’ which was a huge success and received a number of accolades, including Academy Award and Golden Globe Award nominations for its screenplay, Independent Spirit Awards for Best Director and Best Screenplay, and a Directors Guild of America (DGA) Award nomination.
- In the year 2017, the film was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry, being deemed “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant”.
- In the year 2002, he made another American psychological thriller film ‘Insomnia’, which also did well. It was about two homicide detectives investigating a murder.
- After that, he directed the 2005 superhero film ‘Batman Begins’, his career skyrocketed.
- The movie based on DC comics falls under the Dark Knight Trilogy consisting of two other movies, The Dark Knight, directed, co-produced, & co-written by Nolan that made over $1 billion and The Dark Knight Rises, Nolan co-wrote the screenplay along with his brother Jonathan Nolan, and the story with American screenwriter, David S. Goyer.
- It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Cinematography and three BAFTA awards.
- Heath Ledger won the Oscar for best performance an Actor in a Supporting Role for his portrayal of Joker in The Dark Knight and Anne Hathaway won the Academy Award for a best-supporting actress for her role in The Dark Knight Rises.
- The Dark Knight also won the Oscar for Best Achievement in Sound Editing.
- He then directed the 2006 British-American mystery thriller film, ‘The Prestige’ which featured Hollywood A-listers such as Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson, and others.
- After that, he directed the film ‘Inception’ starring Leonardo Di Caprio, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Cillian Murphy, and Marion Cotillard among others. The movie received a huge commercial success- it also won four Oscars.
- The film ended up grossing over $820 million worldwide and was nominated for eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay; it won the award for Best Cinematography, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Visual Effects.
- Even he was also nominated for BAFTA and Golden Globe awards, among other accolades.
- He then wrote, directed, and produced ‘Interstellar’, which was released in the year 2014. It was named one of the best films of the year by The American Film Institute (AFI).
- The film was a huge success and won the Oscar for Best Visual Effects.
- In the year 2015, Nolan directed a British short documentary film, ‘Quay’.
- In the year 2017, his directorial movie, Dunkirk which was a huge hit grossed more than five times its budget at the box office. It grossed over $525 million worldwide, which made it the highest-grossing World War II film of all time.
- In 2019, Nolan served as executive producer on The Doll’s Breath, an animated short directed by the Quay brothers.
- His eleventh feature, “Tenet”, is scheduled to be released by Warner Bros. on 17th July 2020.
- He wrote the screenplay and is producing with Emma Thomas and the film stars John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Dimple Kapadia, Clemence Poesy, Kenneth Branagh, and Michael Caine.
Christopher Nolan’s movies are:
- Following (1998)
- Memento (2000)
- Insomnia (2002)
- Batman Begins (2005)
- The Prestige (2006)
- The Dark Knight (2008)
- Inception (2010)
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Interstellar (2014)
- Dunkirk (2017)
- Tenet (2020)
Awards and Achievements of Christopher Nolan
The movie “Following”, won several awards during its festival run. His other movie “Moment” received a number of accolades, including Academy Award and Golden Globe Award nominations for its screenplay, Independent Spirit Awards for Best Director and Best Screenplay, and a Directors Guild of America (DGA) Award nomination. Memento was considered by numerous critics to be one of the best films of the 2000s. His next movie “Batman Begins” was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Cinematography and three BAFTA awards. The Prestige also received Academy Award nominations for Best Cinematography and Best Art Direction. The Dark Knight set a number of box-office records during its theatrical run. At the 81st Academy Awards, the film was nominated for eight Oscars, winning two: the Academy Award for Best Sound Editing and a posthumous Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for Heath Ledger. The movie “Inception” was nominated for eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay; it won the award for Best Cinematography, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Visual Effects. He was also nominated for BAFTA and Golden Globe awards, among other accolades. At the 87th Academy Awards, the film “Interstellar” won Best Visual Effects and received four other nominations-Best Original Score, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Production Design. The film “Dunkirk” received many accolades, including Nolan’s first Oscar nomination for Best Director.
How much is Christopher Nolan’s Net Worth as of 2020?
Christopher Nolan is a British-American filmmaker known for making personal, distinctive films within the Hollywood mainstream. As of 2020, his net worth is believed to have $200 Million as per sources. His ten films have grossed over US$4.7 billion worldwide and garnered a total of 34 Oscar nominations and ten wins. As of now, Christopher Nolan‘s Tenet is still set to re-open movie theaters and kick off the long-delayed summer blockbuster season on July 17 despite ongoing concerns about the coronavirus pandemic. Rumored to be budgeted between $200 million and $225 million, the massively expensive movie is apparently the filmmaker’s most ambitious feature to date. His most recent films have grossed at least $525 million at the global box office. If that’s the floor for Tenet‘s earnings potential, Nolan could conceivably make a minimum of $105 million. If Tenet plays more like Interstellar ($665 million) or Inception ($832 million), he’s walking away with a stupefyingly large check. His exact salary is unknown. He has not endorsed any brand yet as well. He also owns a luxurious villa in Los Angeles worth millions of dollars. He also has a collection of many branded cars including Audi, Land Rover, BMW, and Mercedes.
Who is Christopher Nolan’s Wife?
Christopher Nolan is a married man. He was married to his beautiful wife; Emma Thomas. He met Emma at the University College of London when he was 19 years old, Emma being a year junior. They got married in the year 1997 and they have 4 children, namely, Magnus Nolan, Rory Nolan, Flora Nolan, and Oliver Nolan. The couple also founded a production company, Syncopy Films Inc., and Emma has worked on all of Nolan’s films as a producer. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay. At present, the duo is enjoying their life a lot without any kind of disturbances.
How tall is Christopher Nolan?
With a slim body build, Christopher Nolan stands at the tall height of 5 ft 11 1/4 in. His balanced bodyweight consists of 73 Kg or 161 lbs. His eye color is blue and his hair color is blonde. His lips is thin and his nose is pointed. His other body measurements such as chest size, waist size, hips size, shoe size, dress size is unknown.