Cyndi Lauper is a singer, songwriter, actress, and activist from the USA whose career has spanned over 40 years. She released her album “She’s So Unusual” in 1983. Her debut solo album broke many records including becoming the first female debut album to produce 4 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 Top 5. Those singles included; Girls Just Want to Have Fun, All Through the Night, Time After Time, and She Bop. Her success then rose with the soundtrack for the motion picture “The Goonies” and her second record “True Colors” (1986). Since 1983, Lauper has released eleven studio albums and participated in many other projects. She made her theatrical film debut in an uncredited role in the movie Girls Just Want to Have Fun in 1985. Later in 1988, she made an appearance in the movie Vibes in the credited role of Sylvia Pickel. She made her first TV show appearance as herself (singer) in the TV series An Evening at the Improv in 1982. Lauper has sold over 50 million records worldwide winning awards at the Grammys, Emmys, Tonys, the New York’s Outer Critics Circle, MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs), Billboard Awards, and American Music Awards (AMAs). She has been celebrated for her humanitarian work, particularly as an advocate for LGBT rights in the United States. She is very supportive of LGBT rights and fights for equality because she feels that everyone deserves equal opportunities and equal chances of living. Her elder sister who she cherishes and regards as her role model is a lesbian. They have both shown support for each other since they were very young.
What is Cyndi Lauper Famous For?
- Being an American singer, songwriter, actress, and activist.
- For her powerful and distinctive four-octave singing range.
- Winning awards at the Grammys, Emmys, Tonys, the New York’s Outer Critics Circle, MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs), Billboard Awards, and American Music Awards (AMAs).
What nationality is Cyndi Lauper?
Cyndi Lauper took birth on June 22, 1953. She is from Boulevard Hospital in Astoria, Queens, New York City, the USA. Her born name is Cynthia Ann Stephanie “Cyndi” Lauper. She holds American nationality while her ethnicity is Mixed as her father has Swiss-German descent, and her mum has an Italian American. Her present age is 69 as of 2022.
Cyndi spent her early childhood with her older sister, Ellen, and a younger brother, Fred. After she turned four, she relocated to Ozone Park, Queens where she grew up in a railroad-style apartment. Her mother later remarried which ended in a divorce. At age 12, she began writing songs and playing an acoustic guitar given to her by her sister. On a friend’s suggestion, she began to spell her name “Cyndi” rather than “Cindy”.
She went to Richmond Hill High School but was expelled. However, she did earn her GED. As a teenager, she, along with her sister, received rape threats from their stepfather who also used to spy on her when she took baths. Due to this, she left home at 17. Her journey took her to Canada, where she spent two weeks in the woods with her dog Sparkle, trying to find herself. She ten traveled to Vermont and started taking art classes at Johnson State College and supported herself by working odd jobs. She gave the commencement address at Northern Vermont University-Johnson, the academic institution that now includes Johnson State. At this event, NVU awarded her the honorary degree of Doctor of Letters in 2019.
Cyndi Lauper Music Career
- Initially, Cyndi started her career performing as a vocalist with various cover bands in the early 1970s.
- In 1977, she damaged her vocal cords and took a year off from singing. She was told by doctors that she would never sing again but regained her voice with the help of vocal coach Katie Agresta.
- She then became a founding member of the band “Blue Angel” which she formed with saxophone player John Turi. Besides her and Turi, the other members of “Blue Angel” were Arthur “Rockin’ A” Neilson (guitar), Lee Brovitz (bass guitar), and Johnny Morelli (drums).
- They released their first and only album, the self-titled “Blue Angel” in 1980.
- After Blue Angel broke up, Lauper spent time, due to her financial problems, working in retail stores, waitressing at IHOP (which she quit after being demoted to the hostess when the manager sexually harassed her), and singing in local clubs.
- In 1981, while singing in a local New York bar, she met David Wolff, who took over as her manager and had her sign a recording contract with Portrait Records, a subsidiary of Epic Records.
- She released her first solo album, “She’s So Unusual” on 14th October 1983. The album became a worldwide hit, peaking at No. 4 in the U.S. and reaching the top five in eight other countries.
- Next, she co-wrote four songs on She’s So Unusual, including the hits “Time After Time” and “She Bop”.
- She appeared with professional wrestler Hulk Hogan, who played her “bodyguard” and would also later make many appearances as herself in a number of the World Wrestling Federation’s “Rock ‘n’ Wrestling Connection” events, and played Wendi Richter’s manager in the inaugural WrestleMania event.
- She released the single “The Goonies ‘R’ Good Enough”, from the soundtrack to the movie The Goonies in 1985.
- She released her second album, “True Colors” in 1986.
- She appeared on the Billy Joel album The Bridge, with a song called “Code of Silence” in 1986.
- Also, she sang the theme song for the series “Pee-wee’s Playhouse”.
- She made her film debut in August 1988 in the quirky comedy “Vibes”.
- Her third album “A Night to Remember” was released in 1989.
- In 1993, she returned to acting, playing Michael J. Fox’s ditzy secretary in “Life with Mikey”.
- Her fourth album “Hat Full of Stars” was released in June 1993.
- Her fifth album, “Sisters of Avalon”, was released in Japan in 1996.
- She appeared as an animated version of herself in The Simpsons episode “Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken” on 17th January 1999.
- She also appeared in the films “Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle and “The Opportunists”.
- She took part in the television show Women in Rock, Girls with Guitars on 12th October 2000.
- She also released a cover album with Sony/Epic Records entitled At Last (formerly Naked City), which was released in 2003.
- In 2005, she appeared on the show Queer as Folk.
- Her sixth studio album, “Bring Ya to the Brink” was released in the United States on May 27, 2008.
- She performed a collaborative work with Wyclef Jean called “Slumdog Millionaire”, performing it on The Late Show with David Letterman on 17th November 2009.
- She appeared on NBC’s The Celebrity Apprentice, coming in sixth place in March 2010.
- Her 7th album “Memphis Blues” was released on 22nd June 2010 and debuted on the Billboard Blues Albums chart at No. 1, and at No. 26 on the Billboard Top 200.
- In November 2011, she released two Christmas singles exclusive to iTunes. The first release was a Blues-inspired cover of Elvis Presley’s classic “Blue Christmas”, and the second was a new version of “Home for the holidays”, a duet with Norah Jones.
- She also released a New York Times best-selling memoir that detailed her struggle with child abuse and depression.
- In 2012, she wrote the music and the lyrics for Harvey Fierstein’s Broadway musical “Kinky Boots”. After a six-year run and 2,507 regular shows, Kinky Boots ended its Broadway run on April 7, 2019. It is the 25th-longest-running Broadway musical in history. It grossed $297 million on Broadway.
- She released the 30th Anniversary edition of “She’s So Unusual” through Epic Records on 1st April 2014.
- She sang on the finale of America’s Got Talent on 17th September 2014.
- On 17th February 2016, she released her version of Wanda Jackson’s “Funnel of Love”.
- She was featured on “Swipe to the Right” in May 2016.
- She guest starred playing a lawyer in an episode of the reboot of the television series Magnum P.I. on 22nd October 2018.
- Also, she performed the English translation in the English version of the film originally titled “La Course des tuques”.
- She performed at the opening ceremony of Stonewall 50 – WorldPride NYC 2019 on 26th June 2019.
- She sang a chorus from the song “I sing the Body Electric” of the soundtrack from the 1980 movie Fame at the 62nd annual Grammy Awards Show held in Los Angeles on 26th January 2020.
- She dueted with former top ten “American Idol” finalist Casey Abrams on a cover version of the song ‘Eve of Destruction’ in November 2020.
- She performed at the 2022 MusiCaresPerson of the Year Tribute Show honoring Joni Mitchell on April 1.
- In May 2022 it was announced that Alison Ellwood will direct a career retrospective documentary about Lauper.
Who is Cyndi Lauper married to?
Cyndi Lauper is a married woman. She tied a knot with her husband, David Thornton. David is an actor who is known for his roles in John Q, Home Alone 3, Law & Order, and The Notebook. David Thornton met Cyndi Lauper, fell in love with her, and married her 3 years after she broke up with David Wolff on November 24, 1991. Together, they have a son, Declyn Wallace Thornton Lauper (born on November 19, 1997).
Previously, she began her relationship with David Wolff in 1982 which lasted for six years and, ended in 1988. The split was hard on Cyndi that she almost ended her career. She was sexually assaulted in the early years of her career by a member of a cover band she was part of. During this period, she also became pregnant by a former boyfriend. Despite wanting to keep the child, this man pressured her to have an abortion.
Everything To Know About Declyn Lauper
What Rich is Cyndi Lauper?
Cyndi Lauper is a successful singer who has made a huge fortune releasing several songs and albums. The net worth of Cyndi is estimated to have $50 Million as of 2022. She is making her salary in millions of dollars from her work. From the album, “She’s So Unusual”, she earned an estimated $16 million. Similarly, she made around $7 million from the album, “True Colors”. Her primary source of wealth comes from the music industry and she is also making a cool amount of money from the entertainment industry and brand endorsement as she has done endorsement work for brands such as Dominoes Pizza (Japan), Dr. Pepper, Sticklets Gum, Trivial Pursuit Totally ’80s edition board game. Today, she is living a luxurious lifestyle.
How tall is Cyndi Lauper?
Cyndi Lauper is a beautiful singer with a standing height of 5 feet 3 inches. Her body weight consists of around 50 kg. Her body measurements is 33-24-33. She has blonde hair and green eyes. She has openly discussed her psoriasis, including in advertisements for Cosentyx.