Dominic Matteo is a Scottish former professional footballer. He played as a defender and midfielder in a 17-year professional career from 1992 to 2009. He made a total of 366 league and cup appearances, of which 276 were in the Premier League. He was capped six times by Scotland after originally representing England at under-21 and ‘B’ team level. Let’s know more about the player through this article.
Dominic Matteo has successful surgery on brain tumor
Dominic Matteo is being treated in hospital after having surgery on a brain tumor, his former club Liverpool have said. The 45-year-old underwent an operation on Monday and is currently being treated after coming out of intensive care, the club added in a statement.
Matteo started his career with Liverpool, making 155 appearances, before moving to Leeds where he became a fan favorite after scoring the goal against Milan which earned them a place in the 2000-01 Champions League knockout stages.
We wish Dom a full and speedy recovery and will offer any support we can to his wife and family. Dom’s family would like to place on record their gratitude to all staff at Leeds General Infirmary and express their thanks for all of the messages of support they have received.
Where is Dominic Matteo born?
Recalling his early life, Dominic Matteo was born in Dumfries, Scotland. His father had Italian heritage and was a keen follower of European football. Information regarding his parents, siblings and his academic qualifications are yet to be disclosed.
When did Dominic Matteo begin to play football?
- Talking about his career, Matteo got the YTS contract at the age of sixteen. He made his Premier League debut for the “Reds” on 23 October 1993, when he replaced an injured John Barnes at left-wing in a 1–1 draw with Manchester City at Maine Road. He made a total of 13 appearances during the 1993–94 season.
- In August 2000, he joined Leeds United despite failing his medical with the club. He made his team debut against A.C. Milan the following month, in a UEFA Champions League contest. He was one of Leeds’ best players through their 2000–01 Champions League campaign, in which they achieved a semi-final place.
- In July 2004, Matteo signed a three-year contract with Blackburn Rovers. He made his Blackburn debut against West Bromwich Albion in a 1–1 draw. He scored his first and only goal for Blackburn in a 3–0 win over Colchester United in the FA Cup.
- In January 2007, Matteo moved to Championship side Stoke City on a free transfer. Signing a short-term contract until the summer, he played a total of 10 games and scoring one goal against Derby County. Matteo continued to play for Stoke during the club’s 2007–08 pre-season campaign, despite being out of the contract. However, he was offered a new 12-month contract by the club on 10 August 2007.
- Matteo was made captain by Tony Pulis in the season Stoke won promotion back to the top flight of the English football league system. He played 13 league games up to the end of October after which he played only once more before the end of the season, a game in November 2007. This was the last game of his playing career due to injury. The latter part of his career was increasingly affected by injuries, which led to his retirement in 2009 at the age of 35.
- Besides this, he is an author as well. His book, In My Defence, was published in 2011.
- In May 2013, Matteo returned to Leeds United in a new role as a Football Ambassador. He left this position in the summer of 2014 following a change of ownership to Massimo Cellino.
- In November 2019, Matteo underwent surgery on a brain tumor.
Is Dominic Matteo married or not?
Reflecting on his personal life, Matteo is a married man but his wife and children’s details are yet to be disclosed. As per online sites, he likes to make his profile low as an ordinary man. Thus, we have a lack of information regarding his personal life at present. In the case we update, we will let you know.
What is the net worth of Dominic Matteo?
As a professional soccer player, Matteo earns a decent amount and popularity in the field of the sports industry. Based on online reports, his estimated net worth and salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Dominic Matteo?
Observing his body statistics, Matteo stands a height of 6 feet 2 inches and his weight is unknown. He has an athletic body build with black eyes and dark brown hair. His other body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of disclosed, we will let you know.