Elisabeth Sladen was an English actress who was famous for her role as Sarah Jane Smith in the British television series “Doctor Who” where she appeared as a regular cast member from 1973-1976, along with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. Moreover, she reprised the role many times in subsequent decades, both on Doctor Who and its spin-offs, “K-9 and Company” (1981) and “The Sarah Jane Adventures” (2007–2011). In 2010, the show “The Sarah Jane Adventures” earned the Royal Television Society Award for Best Children’s Drama. She also made regular guest appearances on the main television series and provided voice-over commentaries and interviews for its releases on DVD. Sadly, she died of cancer on 19 April 2011.
Elisabeth Sladen Known For
- Best known as Sarah Jane Smith in the British television series “Doctor Who”.
- Elisabeth Sladen was an English actress.
Elisabeth Sladen Cause of Death
Elisabeth Sladen died on 19th April 2011 in Southall, the United Kingdom after she was diagnosed with cancer (death cause) in February 2011. She dies at 65. Her death was widely reported in the UK—on the BBC One Ten O’Clock News; as one of the rolling headlines of the BBC News channel for the day; featuring prominently on many commercial television news reports (including Granada which serves her native Liverpool); on the front page of the Daily Mirror and the Liverpool Echo; and in the obituary features of almost every UK newspaper. The first episode of the sixth series of Doctor Who, “The Impossible Astronaut”, aired on the following Saturday, and opened with a screen dedicating the episode to her memory. Straight afterward a special program called My Sarah Jane: A Tribute to Elisabeth Sladen was aired on CBBC. At the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, during the film clips of people who had died in the past year, Sladen was the final person to be shown. Singer-songwriter Talis Kimberley wrote a tribute song, “Goodnight, Sarah-Jane”. Tom Baker paid tribute to Sladen on his official website saying “sweet memories of happy days with Lis Sladen, the lovely, witty, kind and so talented Lis Sladen”. A tribute to Sladen’s character, Sarah Jane Smith, was aired as a final episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures on 19 April 2020, titled “Farewell, Sarah Jane”.
Who are Elisabeth Sladen Parents?
Elisabeth Sladen took birth with the born name of Elisabeth Clara Heath-Sladen on 1st February 1946 in Liverpool, England. She was British by nationality and her ethnicity was British-White. For the last time, she celebrated her 65th birthday in 2011. She was the daughter of Tom Sladen and Gladys Sladen. She was the only child of her parents and had no siblings. Her dad, Tom fought in the First World War and served in the Home Guard during the Second World War. She was born into a Christian religious family. She developed an interest in performing at an early age, beginning dance lessons when she was five, and dancing in one production with the Royal Ballet. She was a primary school contemporary of future politician Edwina Currie, appearing in at least one school production with her. She went on to secondary school and attended Aigburth Vale High School for Girls. Later, she attended the Elliott-Clarke Drama School. After two years at drama school, Sladen began work at the Liverpool Playhouse repertory company as an assistant stage manager.
Elisabeth Sladen Career Timeline and Life Story
- Elisabeth made her debut film in “Ferry Cross the Mersey” as an uncredited extra in 1965.
- Then, she joined the Hillbark Players, for their open-air production of “Much Ado About Nothing”, playing Hero.
- Her first stage appearance was as a maid in “Twelfth Night” at the Playhouse.
- Also, she played a corpse in “The Physicists”.
- She then appeared in numerous roles, most notably as Desdemona in “Othello”, her first appearance as a leading lady.
- After that, she appeared as barmaid Anita Reynolds in 1970 in six episodes of the long-running soap opera “Coronation Street”.
- She alongside her husband, Brian appeared in the play “How the Other Half Loves”.
- Her first television role in London was in a two-part story of “Z-Cars”.
- Next, she appeared as a terrorist in an episode of “Doomwatch” followed by guest roles in further episodes of “Z-Cars”, “Public Eye”, “Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em” and “Special Branch”.
- She stayed on “Doctor Who” for three-and-a-half seasons, alongside Pertwee as the Third Doctor and Tom Baker as the Fourth. She returned to the character of Sarah Jane Smith on several later occasions. She then appeared in a pilot for a spin-off series called “K-9 and Company”.
- Her next appearance in the role was in the 20th anniversary special “The Five Doctors” (1983).
- She reprised the role in the 1993 Children in Need special “Dimensions in Time”.
- She then played Sarah Jane in several audio plays. Two of them were produced for BBC Radio, The Paradise of Death (Radio 5, 1993), and The Ghosts of N-Space (Radio 2, 1996), together with Jon Pertwee and Nicholas Courtney.
- Following the successful revival of Doctor Who in 2005, Sladen guest starred as Sarah Jane in “School Reunion”, an episode of the 2006 series.
- Later on, she starred in “The Sarah Jane Adventures”, a Doctor Who spin-off.
- also read original audio stories on CD for “The Sarah Jane Adventures”, which were released in November 2007: The Glittering Storm and The Thirteenth Stone.
- She returned to Doctor Who in the show’s fourth series in the concluding episodes “The Stolen Earth” and “Journey’s End” and was credited in the title sequence of both episodes. Her final appearance in Doctor Who was a scene in the concluding part of “The End of Time”, Tennant’s last episode as the Doctor.
- Just before her death, she had also been interested in being involved in the Doctor Who Fourth Doctor Big Finish series.
- Moreover, she also appeared in a two-year stint as a presenter for the children’s program Stepping Stones, a lead role with Miller playing her husband in ITV drama “Send in the Girls”, a BBC Play for “Today”, a role as a stand-up comic’s spouse in “Take My Wife”, and a small part in the film “Silver Dream Racer” as a bank secretary in 1980, only her second film appearance.
- She continued to appear in various television adverts and in another Letts production, “Alice in Wonderland” (playing the Dormouse).
- In 1991, she starred as Alexa opposite Colin Baker in “The Stranger” audio adventure The Last Mission for BBV Audio.
- She also appeared in a Bernice Summerfield audio drama, Kate Orman’s “Walking to Babylon”.
- In 1995, she played Dr. Pat Hewland in four episodes of “Peak Practice”.
- In 1996, she played Sophie in “Faith in the Future”, and appeared in 15 episodes of the BBC schools program “Numbertime”. This was her last television acting appearance until the 2006 Doctor Who episode “School Reunion”.
- She appeared in a pantomime production of Peter Pan at the Theatre Royal Windsor between 2008 and 2009.
- Her last fan event was at the British Film Institute on 12 October 2010, where there was a special showing of The Death of the Doctor, followed by a Q&A session.
- Her last public appearance was at the EA British Academy Children’s Awards on 28 November 2010.
- “Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography” was released posthumously on 7 November 2011 by Aurum Press Ltd. The book was launched at ‘The Doctor Who Experience’, Kensington Olympia on 26 November 2011.
How much was Elisabeth Sladen’s Net Worth?
Elisabeth Sladen was a renowned actress who had appeared in several TV shows and movies including Coronation Street, Z-Cars, Doctor Who, and more. From her career work, she has accumulated a net worth of $2 Million at the time of her death. Her main source of wealth was from the entertainment industry. She had not shared any details about her salary and career earnings with the media. Before the death of Elisabeth, she was living a lavish lifestyle.
Who was Elisabeth Sladen married to?
Elisabeth Sladen was married only once during her lifetime. She tied a knot with her handsome husband, Brian Miller who is an actor by profession. They got married on 8th June 1968 in Liverpool. She met Brian Miller during her first play. The pair is also blessed with a daughter namely Sadie Miller (born on February 25, 1985). Their daughter appeared alongside Sladen in the 1993 documentary, Thirty Years in the TARDIS, wearing a replica of the Andy Pandy overalls Sladen wore in The Hand of Fear. Her sexual orientation was straight. Prior to her death, the family was living happily.
How tall was Elisabeth Salden?
Elisabeth Salden is a beautiful actress who stood at the height of 5 feet and 3 inches. Her body weight was around 65 KG. She had light brown colored hair and black eyes. She had a glowing face with a charming smile. Her body type was slim.
Leave a Reply