Flora Duffy is a Bermudian triathlete who received a gold medal from the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Bermuda’s first gold medal. It was Duffy’s first Olympic medal as well as Bermuda’s first gold medal. She started competing in triathlon at the age of seven and has since been twice crowned ITU World Champion, represented Bermuda at the London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympic Games, and won gold at the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast. Not only this but also she is the 2016 and 2017 ITU World Triathlon Series World Champion, the 2015 and 2016 ITU Cross Triathlon World Champion, and a five-time winner (2014-2017, 2019) of the XTERRA World Championships. In the 2018 Birthday Honours, Duffy was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to sports in Bermuda. Flora Duffy made Olympic history on Tuesday, winning the women’s triathlon in Tokyo to give the tiny island of Bermuda their first-ever gold medal. She timed 1 hr 55 min 36 sec to come home more than a minute ahead of Britain’s Georgia Taylor-Brown (1:56.50), with American Katie Zaferes (1:57.03) taking the bronze. Her success makes Bermuda the smallest nation in terms of the population-around 70,000-to ever win a gold medal at a Summer Games. She is currently coached by Nate Wilson & Ernie Gruhn.
Tokyo Olympics 2020: Flora Duffy of Bermuda wins gold in the women’s triathlon
Flora Duffy, whose stunning victory meant the tiny Atlantic island – with its population of 62,278 even smaller than that of Bognor Regis – became the smallest country to win Olympic gold at a summer Olympic Games. “I think the whole [of] Bermuda is going crazy, that’s what makes it so special,” said Duffy, who powered impressively clear on the 10km run to win in 1hr 55min 36sec – 74sec clear of Britain’s Georgia Taylor-Brown, who recovered from a puncture on the 40km bike section to take silver. “Yes, this was my dream, but I also knew it was bigger than me.” She had spent five years carrying the burden of being an Olympic favorite as well as having her country’s sole hopes on her shoulders. No wonder she repeatedly uppercutted the air in celebration as she crossed the line. “It’s been a heck of a lot of pressure,” she said. “I would never recommend being an Olympic favourite for five years. But it is all worth it now.”
Why is Flora Duffy Famous For?
- Being a Bermudian triathlete.
- For receiving a gold medal from the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
What Nationality is Flora Duffy?
Flora Duffy was born on September 30, 1987. Her birthplace is Paget Parish, Bermuda. Her birth name or real name is Flora Jane Duffy. She was born to her father, Charlie Duffy, and her mother, Maria Duffy. She holds Bermudian-British nationality and her ethnicity is Mixed. As of 2021, she celebrated her 33rd birthday. Libra is her Zodiac sign and her religion is Christian.
Concerning her education, Flora Duffy was educated at Warwick Academy, Kelly College (now known as Mount Kelly in Tavistock, Devon), and the University of Colorado Boulder, where she graduated with a BA degree in Sociology.
How was the Career of Flora Duffy?
- Flora Duffy initially competed for Bermuda at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.
- She then competed at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London as well as at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- What’s more, Flora Duffy is the 2016 and 2017 ITU World Triathlon Series World Champion, the 2015 and 2016 ITU Cross Triathlon World Champion, and a five-time winner (2014-2017, 2019) of the XTERRA World Championships.
- She collected the first Gold medal of the XXI Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia in April 2018 where she won the women’s sprint triathlon by a 43-second lead and became Bermuda’s first female Commonwealth gold medalist.
- Additionally, she was scheduled to compete in the women’s cross-country mountain bike at the Commonwealth Games but she didn’t start the event.
- In 2016, she is the only person to win three triathlon world titles claiming the WTS, ITU Cross Triathlon, and Xterra titles.
- Moreover, she is the only triathlete in WTS history to post the fastest swim, bike, and run portions in the same race.
- She also holds the record for the largest winning margin in both Olympic and Sprint distance races in a WTS event.
- In the 2018 Birthday Honours, she was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to sports in Bermuda.
- At the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, she won gold which was Duffy’s first Olympic medal as well as Bermuda’s first gold medal.
Flora Duffy Wins
- World Champion 2016 and 2017
- Winner 2018 Commonwealth Games Gold Coast
- Winner WTS Yokohama 2018
- Winner WTS Bermuda 2018
- Winner 2017 ITU World Triathlon Edmonton
- Winner 2017 ITU World Triathlon Leeds
- Winner 2017 ITU World Triathlon Hamburg
- Winner 2017 ITU World Triathlon Yokohama
- Winner 2016 Snowy Mountains ITU Cross Triathlon World Championships
- Winner 2015 and 2016 2016 ITU Cross Triathlon World Championships
- 8th place Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Who is Flora Duffy married to?
Flora Duffy is a married woman. In December 2017, she married her husband, Dan Hugo, a South African triathlete. Their wedding was held in Stellenbosch, Hugo’s native town. Today, Flora divides her time between homes in Boulder, Colorado, and Stellenbosch, just outside of Cape Town, as well as Bermuda, when not traveling the world with the ITU World Triathlon Series. As of today, the married duo is enjoying their present life happily. Her sexual orientation is straight.
Flora Duffy launched The Flora Fund days after winning the inaugural WTS Bermuda in April 2018 which enable youth in Bermuda to pursue their potential, ultimately contributing to a healthier, more ambitious community.
What is the Net Worth of Flora Duffy?
Flora Duffy is a successful and talented triathlete. The net worth of Flora Duffy is estimated to have between $2 Million-$5 Million as of 2021. Her major source of wealth comes from her triathlete career. She has not mentioned anything regarding her salary but there is no doubt in the mind of her followers that she is making a cool amount of money from her profession.
How tall is Flora Duffy?
Flora Duffy has a tall height of 1.6 m or 5 ft 4 in and her body weight consists of 55 Kg or 121 lb. Her body type is athletic. Her other body measurements such as waist size, hip size, shoe size, and more are still to get unfold yet. She maintains her body lot and as of now, she has got a healthy body.