Frank Ocean is a multi-talented, one of the most fascinating American singer, songwriter, rapper, record producer, and photographer who has been in the field of music since 2006. Frank Ocean is known for his unique musical style, unconventional production techniques, and wide vocal range. Ocean rose to fame after the release of his mixtape, “Nostalgia, Ultra” in 2011. Ocean premiered his latest track “DHL” on Saturday, October 19, 2019.
What is Frank Ocean Famous for?
- Famous for his wide vocal range.
- Known for his highly acclaimed mixtape, “Nostalgia, Ultra”.
Where is Frank Ocean From?
Frank Ocean was born on October 28, 1987, in Long Beach, California, United States. Ocean was born as Christopher Edwin Cooksey later changing it to Christopher Edwin Breaux as his legal name. Ocean belongs to African-American ethnicity while Scorpio is his zodiac sign.
Ocean was born to a well to do family to Calvin Edward Cooksey(father) and Katonya Breaux(mother). His mother is a successful businesswoman who founded “Unsun Cosmetics”. Ocean was raised by a single mother as his father abandoned his family when Ocean was just 6 years old. Ocean has two siblings: a sister, Ashley Ellison and a half brother, Ryan Breaux.
When Ocean was 5, his family moved to New Orleans, Louisiana where he was exposed to a musical environment. Ocean felt more inclined towards music after he was first introduced to music by his mother as she used to often play recordings by jazz musicians on her car stereo.
Ocean decided to carry forward his career in music when he was 13. During his high school, he used to collect money for his studio recordings by washing neighbors’ cars, mowing lawns and walking dogs.
Ocean graduated from John Ehret High School in 2005 after which he joined the University of New Orleans to study English. Ocean soon got transferred to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette after Hurrican Katrina struck New Orleans on August 29, 2005.
Attending the university briefly, he dropped out and then he moved to Los Angeles to pursue his music career in 2006.
Frank Ocean Career Highlights
- Frank Ocean began his professional career after he received a songwriting deal and eventually wrote songs for Justin Bieber, John Legend, Beyonce and Brandy.
- In 2007, he sold his first song to Noel Gourdin.
- Ocean joined Los Angeles-based hip hop collective, “Odd Future” in 2010.
- Later, on February 16, 2011, Ocean self-released his debut highly acclaimed mixtape, “Nostalgia, Ultra”. The mixtape made Ocean widely known and led to his collaborations with rappers Jay-Z and Kanye West.
- Ocean later released the singles “Novacane” and “Swim Good” from the later changed EP, “Nostalgia, Ultra”.
- Ocean first appeared in the music video of Tyler, the Creator’s single, “She” on May 10, 2011.
- In August 2011, Frank Ocean made his first appearance on the cover of “The FADER”, in its 75th issue.
- Ocean co-wrote and featured on two tracks: “No Church in the Wild” and “Made in America”.
- Ocean released the cover for his debut studio album’s lead single, titled “Thinkin Bout You” on April 10, 2012.
- Ocean then signed a recording contract with Def Jam Recordings in 2012.
- On July 10, 2012, Ocean released his debut studio album, “Channel Orange” which debuted at no. 2 on the Billboard 200.
- Ocean even won his first “Grammy Award for Best Urban Contemporary Album” for the album.
- Ocean released his highly acclaimed second album titled “Blonde” on August 20, 2016.
- His visual album, “Endless” was released exclusively on Apple Music on August 2016.
- In 2016, Ocean was featured on Kanye West’s hit single, “Wolves”.
- On August 20, 2016, Ocean released a 360-page magazine, “Boys Don’t Cry”.
- Ocean was featured on the Calvin Harris single “Slide”, opposite Migos which is Ocean’s highest charting song in the US.
- Ocean released his singles “Chanel”(2017), “Provider”(2017) and “Moon River”(2018).
- Ocean published a photo essay titled “New 17” in October 2017.
- Ocean was featured on ASAP Mob’s “RAF” and then on the tracks “Brotha Man” and “Purity” from ASAP Rocky’s album, “Testing”.
- In August 2018, Ocean made an appearance on the song “Carousel” on Travis Scott’s album “Astroworld”.
- On October 19, 2019, Ocean released his new song titled “DHL” with a preview of two new songs titled “Dear April” and “Cayendo”.
Who is Frank Ocean Dating?
The tall, dark and handsome guy, Frank Ocean has remained quiet in terms of his personal life. There is no history of him getting in the picture with his girlfriend. Currently, Ocean is single.
What is Frank Ocean’s Net Worth?
Frank Ocean has quite great earning through his professional career as a rapper, singer and song-writer. Ocean has managed to amass a great fortune of the amount in million dollars through his several music albums, singles, and concerts. Ocean currently enjoys his fortune which is estimated to be around $13 million.
Ocean’s previous album, “Blonde” garnered him a pocket full of money worth $1.6 million along with $504 k from online streams. In 2017, Ocean’s father Calvin Cooksey sued him for $14.5 million over the homophobia claim however, the decision was ruled in favor of Ocean.
With all the fortune in million dollars, Ocean has managed to live a lavish and luxurious lifestyle.
How Tall is Frank Ocean?
The 32 years old talented rapper, Frank Ocean has a well-maintained body physique. Ocean stands tall with a height of 5ft. 11inch.(1.80m) while his body weighs around 75kg(165 lbs). Ocean has a dark complexion with black hair and brown eyes.
He also has a shoe size of 10(US).