Kwon Ji-yong is a famous South Korean rapper, singer-songwriter, record producer, entrepreneur as well as a fashion designer who is known by his stage name ‘G-Dragon’. He is also the leader of the hip hop boy band “Big Bang”. His stage name G-Dragon is an English translation of his surname as Ji is pronounced as ‘G’ and Yong means Dragon in English. He started his music career at the age of 5 by joining the music group Little Roo’Ra. After having released a Christmas album, their record was terminated by the record company. Then, he was scouted by SM entertainment and he trained for five years under the record label. As of August 2009, he released his debut solo album “Heartbreaker” which sold more than 4 Million copies earning him Album of the Year at the 2009 Mnet Asian Music Awards. The single ‘Heartbreaker’ is considered one of the best-selling singles in South Korea of all time. His first EP One of a Kind (2012), was critically acclaimed and had three singles: “One of a Kind”, “Crayon”, and the chart-topper “That XX”. He was awarded Artist of the Year at the 2013 Mnet Asian Music Awards following the success of his second album Coup d’Etat (2013). He made his debut TV show appearance in the South Korean game show, “Family Outing”. As of 2016, he was declared the most influential person under 30 in Asia’s entertainment and sports by Forbes Magazine. He is also active in social media with more than 8.7 Million followers in the Twitter account @IBGDRGN, more than 19.3 Million followers in the Instagram account @xxxibgdrgn, more than 1.89 million subscribers on his YouTube name under the name OfficialGDRAGON, and more than 7 million followers on his Facebook account under the name @gdragon.
Jennie is reportedly dating Big Bang’s G-Dragon for over a year
South Korean outlet Dispatch reported that two of the world’s biggest K-pop stars, Blackpink’s Jennie Kim and BIGBANG’s G-Dragon have been secretly dating for “about a year,” their entertainment company YG addressed the rumors head on-and didn’t quite deny them. YG Entertainment said in a statement, per All K-Pop, “We cannot confirm anything.” The company added, “We can’t confirm anything about our artists’ private lives. We ask for your understanding.” Dispatch also wrote that their relationship was an open secret at YG Entertainment and that Jennie’s manager there would drop her off and pick her up from G-Dragon’s place. A source close to the two told the outlet, “A lot of people in YG noticed their relationship. Jennie’s mother is also aware of their relationship. She is thankful to him for his thoughtful care.”
- Being a South Korean rapper, singer-songwriter, record producer, entrepreneur, and fashion designer.
- Being a member of the popular South Korean boy band “Big Bang”.
- Well-recognized as the “King of K-pop”.
What is the Real Name of G-Dragon?
G-Dragon was born on 18th August 1988 in Seoul, South Korea with the real name of Kwon Ji-Yong. He holds South Korean nationality and his race is South Korean-Asian. His race is Asian. As of 2020, G-Dragon celebrated his 32nd birthday. Leo is his Zodiac sign and his religion is Christian. He was born to his parents; Kwon Young-Hwan (father), Han Gi-ran (mother). He also has a sibling; an older sister named Kwon Dami who owns a fashion boutique called Rare Market. As per his education, he went to the Seoul Korean Traditional Arts Middle and High school. After completion of his school education, he got enrolled at the Gyeong Hee University from where he majored in Post Modern Music. He later dropped out due to his busy schedule, and instead majored in Leisure Sports Studies at Gukje Cyber University, obtaining a Bachelor’s degree in 2013. He graduated in 2016 with a Master’s degree in content and retail distribution at Sejong University.
How was the Career of G-Dragon?
- Being part of the group “Little Roo’Ra”, Kwon took step towards a singing career at the age of only six. Releasing the Christmas album, the group’s contract was terminated.
- Then, Kwon was scouted by SM Entertainment and became a trainee for five years. then, he was introduced to the rap group Wu-Tang Clan” from where he became fond of rapping.
- After that, he signed a contract with YG Entertainment and chose the stage name “G-Dragon” and released many singles with Dong under the name “GDYB”. His first solo recording was Maroon 5’s single “This Love”.
- His first solo album, “Heartbreaker” was released on his 21st birthday with more than 300,000 copies sold and nearly five million downloads.
- American rapper and singer, Flo Rida also featured in G-Dragon’s live album “Shine a Light”. He then staged his first solo concert at Olympic Gymnastics Arena in December 2009.
- He along with T.O.P released the album “GD & TOP” as of November 2010. To promote their album, the duo released three singles: “High High”, “Oh Yeah”, and “Knock Out” (Korean: 뻑이가요; Revised Romanization: ”Ppeogigayo”).
- He made his appearance in the Japanese version of Pixie Lott’s album “Young Foolish Happy”.
- On 15th September 2012, his first EP “One of a Kind” was released. He also embarked on the One of a Kind World Tour in 2013. The tour was held in 8 countries, visited 13 cities for a total of 27 concerts gathering 570,000 fans.
- His second album “Coup d’Etat” was released in the year 2013.
- As of November 2014, he along with Taeyang formed a duo to release the single “Good Boy”. He then collaborated with Skrillex and Diplo for the song “Dirty Vibe”.
- He wrote and produced a song for “Welcome Back” in the year 2015. Then, he was featured on Zion.T’s song “Complex” for his album OO (2017).
- The single “Bullshit” was set to serve as the lead single to precede the release of his second self-titled EP. Later, the single’s provocative name, “Untitled, 2014” was released. In the United States, his second EP entitled “Kwon Ji Yong” became his best-selling album in just one day and his third entry on the Billboard 200 and first number one on the Heatseeksers Albums.
- On 27th February 2018, he began his two-year mandatory military service. On 26th October 2019, he was officially discharged from the military.
- He then collaborated with Nike in November 2019 for the Nike Air Force 1 Para-Noise. He became the first Korean singer to do so.
- Afterward, he signed a contract to model a famous beverage brand called “Chapai” in China’s Nongpushan.
- Beside this,
- G-Dragon has also collaborated with Ambush to launch an exclusive line of accessories and apparel.
- He collaborated with Chow Tai Fook Enterprises jewelry to launch his self-designed range of jewelry back in the year 2014.
- In the year 2015, he opened an art exhibition Peaceminusone: Beyond the Stage.
- In the year 2016, he had partnered with the brand 8 Seconds, which is a part of the Samsung C&T Fashion Group, to design his first street fashion collection.
- In October 2015, he started his first café called “Monsant Café”. The café was opened on Jeju Island.
- In October 2016, he started his fashion brand called Peaceminusone in association with his long-time stylist Gee Eun.
G-Dragon Awards and Achievements
G-Dragon is an award-winning singer and songwriter. During his career until now, he has won two Golden Disc Awards, two Korean Music Awards, two MBC Entertainment Awards, two World Music Awards, seven Mnet Asian Music Awards, six Melon Music Awards among others. In the year 2013, at the Mnet Asian Music Awards, he won the Daesang award for Artist of the Year, becoming the first, and only Korean soloist as of now, to win the award. He was even honored with the award for Most Influential Men of the Year sponsored by Arena magazine in the year 2008, and in 2013, he was awarded the Style Icon of the Year award at the Style Icon Asia, being the first solo singer to win the award undivided. Not only this but also he was honored at the 2016 Pop Culture & Arts Awards.
Who is G-Dragon Dating?
G-Dragon is not married and he is still to get married yet. Thus, he does not have a wife. As of today, he is in a relationship. He is dating his beautiful girlfriend whose name goes by Jennie Kim. By profession, she is a South Korean K-pop star who is the vocalist of the famous South Korean girl band, Black Pink. As of February 2021, it was revealed that G-Dragon was reportedly dating Jennie. Dispatch revealed that the pair have been dating for a year. Dispatch claims that sources have spotted Jennie and G-Dragon meeting secretly, as reported by Soompi. Jennie reportedly meets G-Dragon every day after she is done with her activities for the day. On 31st January when Blackpink was holding their online concert, Jennie was spotted leaving G-Dragon’s house in the morning. The lovebirds are enjoying their present time a lot without any disturbances. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
Everything You Need To Know About Jennie
Regarding the past affairs of G-Dragon, his name has been linked with Kiko Mizuhara, Komatsu Nana, Sulli, Sandara Park. In the year 2011, he was rumored to be dating Kiko Mizuhara. The couple was first seen together in July at the amusement park. Then, they were spotted at his birthday party in August 2013. Later, they separated. Then, his pictures were leaked on Instagram having dinner with Komatsu Nana. Also, the pictures of them hanging out together were leaked in November 2016. Their relationship also could not last long and they split. Then, he started having affairs with actress and singer, Sulli. The dating rumors first surfaced in early February after they were pictured hanging out at the Lotte World amusement park with Ga In and Goo Hara. After dating Sulli, he was in a relationship with Sandara Park.
About Jennie Kim’s past affairs, she was initially rumored to be dating RM. Then, she started having affairs with Kim Jong-in in October 2018.
What is the Net Worth of G-Dragon?
The multi-talented rapper, singer-songwriter, record producer, entrepreneur, and fashion designer; G-Dragon has made a net worth of $30 Million as of 2021 whereas his net worth was estimated to have $40 Million as of 2018. G-Dragon started his singing career at the age of 11 and he is still active in the music industry. Till now, he has released many songs, albums, singles and has done several concerts, tours, and more from where he has made a cool amount of money. His major source of wealth comes from his singing career. His solo album “Heartbreaker” is one of the most successful albums of 2009, making sales of over 200,000 copies and winning the Mnet Asian Music Awards for Album of the Year. Back in August 2015, he was selected as the Asian ambassador for the global rental company, Airbnb. After then, he has endorsed YG Store, Shinsegae, Kappa, Vidal Sassoon, Nike Air Vapormax, BSX Korea, LG U+’s LTE8, The Saem Red Lipstick, and more. In the year 2017, he was chosen as the brand ambassador of Jeju Island’s first premiere resort complex Jeju Shinhwa World, G-Dragon directly participated in the development, designing, and planning of the concept of the resort complex. He is one of the highest-paid celebrity endorsers in Korea, easily commanding $2-3 million per endorsement deal. As of today, he is living a luxurious lifestyle from his earnings.
How tall is G-Dragon?
Standing tall at the perfect height of 5 ft 10 in or 178 cm, G-Dragon’s body builds/body type is slim. His balanced weight consists of 67 Kg or 148 lbs. His hair color is naturally dark brown and he has a pair of dark brown eye colors. He frequently dyes his hair in bright and vibrant hues. He has a slight body frame with unique hairstyles and colors. His other body measurement is still to get publicized yet. On 17th May 2018, he was reported to have undergone surgery on his right ankle due to previous injuries. He is pretty fond of body art and is reported to have got more than half a dozen tattoos, including “Forever Young” tattooed vertically on the side of his torso.