Gemma Arterton is an English actress, activist, and film producer who is best known for her role as Bond Girl( M16 agent Strawberry Fields) in the 2008 James Bond film “Quantum of Solace”. Her role in the film earned her a 2009 Empire Award for Best Newcomer.
Arterton made her film debut in 2007 by playing the role of Kelly Jones in the British comedy film “St. Trinian’s”. She has acted in numerous films including “Clash of the Titans”, “The Disappearance of Alice Creed”, “The Escape”, “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time”, and “Vita and Virginia”.
She currently runs her own production company “Rebel Park productions” since 2016. She is also on a record for being a prominent supporter of the Time’s Up, ERA 50: 50, and MeToo movements.
As of now, she is busy working on her upcoming film “The King’s Man” which is set to be released in 2021. She also will be seen in the role of Sister Clodagh in the upcoming 2020 miniseries “Black Narcissus”.
What is Gemma Arterton famous for?
- Famous as an English actress, activist, and film producer
- Known for her role as Bond Girl Strawberry Fields in the James Bond film Quantum of Solace
Where is Gemma Arterton from?
Gemma Arterton was born on February 2, 1986, in Gravesend, Kent, England. Her birth name is Gemma Christina Arterton. She holds English nationality. Her ethnicity is White while Aquarius is her zodiac sign. She is of German-Jewish-English descent.
Arterton was born as the eldest daughter to Sally-Anne Heap(mother) and Barry J. Arterton(father). Her mother runs a cleaning business while her father worked as a welder. She was born with polydactyly(a condition resulting in extra fingers). However, a doctor removed it shortly after her birth. Her parents got divorced when she was 5 years old. She has a younger sister, Hannah Arterton who is also an actress. Her maternal grandfather was a concert violinist.
She was raised in her hometown, Gravesend, Kent along with her sister. She did her schooling at Mayfield Grammar School. Since her childhood, she was interested in acting. So, she participated in various theatre shows
She made her stage debut in a production of Alan Ayckbourn’s The Boy Who Fell into a book for which she won the best actress prize in a competition at a local festival.
She then decided to pursue her career in acting and she left her studies to join acting college at the Miskin Theatre at North West Kent College en Dartford. Later, she got a full government grant to study at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art(RADA) and she graduated in 2008. While enrolling at RADA, she worked part-time as a shop seller to help her parents.
Gemma Arterton Career: Highlights
- Gemma Arterton started her professional career as an actress by appearing in the 2007 TV film “Capturing Mary” as Liza. In the same year, she made her stage debut as Rosaline in Shakespeare’s Love Labour’s Lost at the Globe Theatre.
- She then made her film debut by playing the role of Head girl Kelly in the 2007 British comedy film “St Trinian’s”.
- She rose to fame in 2008 after she portrayed the role of Bond Girl( M16 agent Strawberry Fields) in the James Bond film “Quantum of Solace”. Her role in the film received good reviews from the juries and earned her a 2009 Empire Award for Best Newcomer.
- Since then, she has not looked back in her career and has acted in several blockbuster films including “Three and Out”, “RocknRolla”, “The Boat That Rocked”, “The Disappearance of Alice Creed”, “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time”, and “Tamara Drewe”.
- In the year 2009, she reprised her debut role of Head girl Kelly in St Trinian’s sequel film “St Trinian’s 2: The Legend of Fritton’s Gold”.
- She also played the role of Elizabeth Bennet in the ITV serial “Lost in Austen” in 2008. In the same year, she appeared in the role of Tess Durbeyfield in the 4-hour television miniseries “Tess of the d’Urbervilles”.
- She was the face of Avon’s Bond Girl 007 fragrance in October 2008.
- Arterton also made her West End debut in the UK premiere of the 2006 comedy play “The Little Dog Laughed”. Her other acted theatre shows are “The Master Builder(2010)”, “The Duchess of Malfi(2014)”, “Nell Gwynn(2016)”, and “Saint Joan(2017)”.
- She also got featured in the British musician, Bonobo’s 2016 music video “Kerala”.
- She appeared in the 2010 films “Clash of the Titans” and “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time”. In the same year, she gave her voice for the role of Shelly in the UK version of the Belgian-French 3D computer-animated comedy-drama film “A Turtle’s Tale: Sammy’s Adventures”.
- In November 2012, she got selected as a member of the main competition jury at the 2012 International Film Festival of Marrakech. In the year 2013, she starred as Gretel in the action-horror film “Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters”.
- She has made her guest appearances in many TV series such as “Inside No.9”, “Sport Relief 2016”, “Urban Myths”, and “Unprecedented”. She also gave her voice for the role of Clover in the adventure fantasy miniseries “Watership Down” in 2018.
- In 2016, she established her production company “Rebel Park Productions” which creates female-led and female-centric films. Her company has produced four feature films and two short films.
- Arterton then appeared in the role of Tara in the 2017 British drama film “The Escape”. She also produced and co-created the film. Her role was appreciated a lot and earned her a British Independent Film Awards for Best Actress.
- She also portrayed the role of Grace Ballard in the Netflix comedy film “Murder Mistery” in 2019. In the same year, she provided her voice for the role of Cassidy in the animated film “StarDog and TurboCat”.
- In 2020, she played the starring role of Alice Lamb in the British drama film “Summerland”.
- At present, she is busy doing the shooting for her upcoming films “The King’s Man”, and “The Amazing Maurice”, and the upcoming miniseries “Black Narcissus”.
Gemma Arterton Awards
- 2 Glamour Awards
- 1 Empire Award
- 1 The WIFTS Foundation International Visionary Awards
- 1 Evening Standard Theatre Award
- 1 Harper’s Bazaar
Gemma Arterton Husband
Gemma Arterton is a married woman. She has been married two times. She is currently married to her second husband, Rory Keenan. Keenan is an Irish actor who is well known for his role of Eric in the Irish television drama series “Striking Out”.However, after her first marriage failed, Arterton stated she ” never really believed in exchanging vows” and that she is not sure she would “want to walk down the aisle again”. She later added that she wants to wait until she has accomplished something in the acting world before having children.
The couple started dating each other in 2017 and finally shared their vows in 2019. At present, the couple is living a happy life in London, England, United Kingdom. Previously, she was married to a sales manager, Stefano Catelli. they got married in 2010. But, they got separated in 2013 and got divorced in August 2015 at the Central Family Court in High Holborn.
She also was in a relationship with John Nolan from 2007 to 2008 whom she met on the set of Quantum of Solace and they lived together near Alexandra Palace. Then in 2008, she dated Spanish stuntman Eduardo Munoz, whom she met on the set of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. The couple lived together ina flat in London and split up after six months.
Arterton is also an activist and has always stood up for women’s rights. She is also on record as being a prominent supporter of the Time’s Up, ERA 50:50, and MeToo movements. She played an integral role in persuading actresses to wear black at the 2018 Baftas in support of Time’sUp. She also has been involved with ERA 50:50, an equal pay campaign in the UK, since its inception.
Gemma Arterton Net Worth
Gemma Arterton has quite good earnings from her professional career as an actress and producer. Having her career started with the first film, ” St Trinian’s” in 2007, Arterton has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the popular actresses in her around 14 years long career.
Her source of income is surely her role in movies and series and from her production company. She also makes additional income from her endorsement deals. Including her income, Arterton has a healthy net worth estimated to be around $13 million as of 2020.
Gemma Arterton Height
Gemma Arterton is a beautiful lady with a well maintained slim athletic body in her mid-30s. She stands tall with a height of 5ft 7 inches(1.7m) while her body weighs around 60kg(132 lbs).
Her body measurement is around 34-27-35 inches with a bra size of 33B, 8(US) as her dress size, and 8(US) as her shoe size. She has a fair complexion with brown hair and brown eyes.