Gillian Leigh Anderson, known as Gillian Anderson is an American actress who is well recognized for starring alongside David Duchovny, portraying FBI agent Dana Scully on the television series “The X-Files”. She began her acting career by joining an amateur actor group while in high school. She starred in the 2000 film “The House of Mirth” and also appeared in the movies “The Mighty Celt”, “Sister”, and “Mr. Morgan’s Last Love”. After 2 short films in 1986 and 1988, Gillian made her film debut in the 1992 American drama, “The Turning” whereas she also appeared in one episode as Rachel on the Fox drama series “Class of ’96” in 1993. She previously worked as a waitress to support herself at the age of 22. As well, she has supported numerous charities and humanitarian organizations. She is an honorary spokesperson for the Neurofibromatosis Network and a co-founder of South African Youth Education for Sustainability (SAYes) as well as she was appointed an honorary Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2016 for her services to drama.
Gillian Anderson Wins Emmy
Gillian Anderson earned an Emmy tonight in the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series category for her role as Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in The Crown. This is her second Emmy win, her first win being in 1997 for her role as Dana Scully in The X Files. “I really want to dedicate this award to a woman who was my manager for 20 years, Connie Freiberg, who believed in me when no one else would, and believed I had talent when I didn’t even think I had talent, who always advised me to take the high road,” said Anderson. “Connie, I Love you, this is for you.”
- Being an American actress.
- For starring alongside David Duchovny, portraying FBI agent Dana Scully on the television series “The X-Files”.
What is Gillian Anderson Real Name?
Gillian Anderson opened her eyes for the very first time on 9th August 1968 in Chicago, Illinois, U.S. She took birth with the real name of Gillian Leigh Anderson in the mixed ethnic background family as she has English, Irish, and German ancestry. She is of American nationality. She is non-religious, however, she believes in Buddhist / Spiritual values. Similarly, Gillian’s present age is 53 which she celebrated recently in 2021. Thus, her race is white and her zodiac sign is Leo. Her father, Homer Edward Anderson III aka Ed is a Post-production Company Owner and her mother, Rosemary Alyce nee Lane aka Posie is a Computer Analyst. She is the eldest of three siblings. Her brother Aaron who was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis died in 2011 of a brain tumor, at the age of 30. Aaron was a DJ, a mentor, and a practicing Buddhist. He was in his second year of a Ph.D. program in developmental psychology at Stanford University when he was diagnosed with glioblastoma in 2008. Her sister Zoe is a ceramicist, whom Anderson called “an exceptional artist”.
Talking about Gillian’s education, she was interested in marine biology, but after becoming interested in theatre during her teenage years, she started acting in high school productions during her first year and later in community theatre. She served as a student intern at the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre & School of Theatre Arts. After graduating from high school in 1986, she attended The Theatre School at DePaul University in Chicago, where she earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1990.
What does Gillian Anderson do for a living?
- Gillian Anderson kicks off her career in Alan Ayckbourn’s play “Absent Friends” after which she starred in Christopher Hampton’s play “The Philanthropist”.
- Then she broke into mainstream television in 1993 with a guest appearance on the collegiate drama, “Class of ’96”, on the fledgling Fox Network as well as starred in the series “The X-Files” as she was the first woman to write and direct an episode of “The X-Files” (“all things”).
- She appeared in “The X-Files: Fight the Future” in 1998 and also provided the voice for a parody of her Scully character in “The Springfield Files”, an episode of the animated comedy television series “The Simpsons”.
- She narrated the television documentaries “Spies Above” and “Why Planes Go Down” in 1996.
- She also helped to assemble an album of electronic music, “Future: A Journey Through The Electronic Underground”.
- She starred in the film “The House of Mirth” in 2000 and made her West End debut in Michael Weller’s play “What The Night Is For” at the Comedy Theatre in 2002.
- Also, she had a starring role in the Irish film “The Mighty Celt” and she also appeared in “Bleak House”.
- During 2006 and 2007, Gillian appeared in two British films: “The Last King of Scotland” (2006) and “Straightheads” (2007).
- She hosted “Masterpiece Theatre” during the Jane Austen series in 2008 and became the first woman to host the series since it began in 1971.
- Anderson appeared as the head of MI7, Pamela Thornton, in the British comedy “Johnny English Reborn” in 2011 and then appeared in a Swiss drama film, “Sister”, and in “Shadow Dancer” in 2012.
- She began starring as DSI Stella Gibson in “The Fall” in May 2013 and became an executive producer for the program from its second series.
- In February 2015, she directed and starred in a short film prequel to “A Streetcar Named Desire”, titled “The Departure”.
- Likewise, she has starred in several films and TV series such as “Hannibal”, “Robot Overlords”, “War & Peace”, “Viceroy’s House”, “American Gods”, “Crooked House”, “All About Eve” and many others.
- She published her first book, “A Vision of Fire” in October 2014 which is the first novel of what has developed as The Earthend Saga trilogy whereas Anderson and Rovin also published “The Sound of Seas”; their third and final novel of “The EarthEnd Saga” trilogy on 13th September 2016.
- As well, she and the journalist-activist Jennifer Nadel published their self-help guide book for women, titled “WE: A Manifesto for Women Everywhere” on 7th March 2017.
- Later in January 2018, she confirmed that she would be leaving “The X-Files” after the end of the season, and in January 2019, she began playing Jean Milburn in the Netflix dramedy “Sex Education”.
- It was announced on 7th September 2019 that she will portray former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in the fourth season of the Netflix historical drama series “The Crown” whereas she is the second American actress (after Meryl Streep in The Iron Lady) to portray Thatcher in a major production.
- Furthermore, she can be seen as Johanna in the series “The “Great” in 2021 whereas she will be starring as Eleanor Roosevelt in “The First Lady” in 2022 as well as in 2022, she will be seen as Vivienne Beaumier in the film, “White Bird: A Wonder Story”.
Awards and Achivements
- Blockbuster Entertainment Awards for her role in “The X-Files”
- British Independent Film Awards for her role in “The House of Mirth”
- Chlotrudis Awards for her role in “The House of Mirth”
- Irish Film and Television Awards for her role in “The Mighty Celt”
- Broadcasting Press Guild Awards for her role in “Bleak House”
- Fangoria Chainsaw Awards for her role in “Hannibal”
- Golden Globe Awards for her role in “The X-Files”
- Webby Awards for her role in “The Fall”
- Glamour Awards for her role in “A Streetcar Named Desire”
- WhatsonStage.com Awards for her role in “What the Night is For”
- Theatre World Awards for her role in “Absent Friends”
- Anderson, Gillian & Nadel, Jennifer (2017). “WE: A Manifesto for Women Everywhere”
- Anderson, Gillian & Rovin, Jeff (2014). “A Vision of Fire”
- Anderson, Gillian & Rovin, Jeff (2015). “A Dream of Ice. The EarthEnd Saga” No. 2.
- Anderson, Gillian & Rovin, Jeff (2016). “The Sound of Seas. The EarthEnd Saga” No. 3.
- Anderson, Gillian & Field, Barbara (2021). “Joyfulness”
Activism and charity work
- Anderson Gillian supports The Trevor Project organization, focused on suicide prevention efforts among LGBTQ youth, and attended three of The Trevor Project’s “Cracked X-Mas” events to benefit the organization.
- She is an honorary spokesperson for the Neurofibromatosis Network whereas she also supported the Children with Tumours organization and the Global Genes movement, which is devoted to helping children with NF.
- She co-founded South African Youth Education for Sustainability (SAYes) in 2008, which helps in empowering marginalized young people in South Africa through youth mentoring.
- She is a member of the board of directors for Artists for a New South Africa and a campaigner for ACTSA: Action for Southern Africa.
- In 1996, she became FMF’s spokesperson and participated as a team leader in the FMF’s Million4Roe campaign.
- Also, she is a patron of Childreach International. She became a patron of the International Literacy Centre (ILC) European home of Reading Recovery in 2015.
- Anderson was awarded a UCL Honorary Fellowship for her support of the International Literacy Centre’s Reading Recovery program in July 2017.
To whom Gillian Anderson was Married?
Gillian Anderson is a married woman. She tied a knot with her first husband, Clyde Klotz who is an” X-Files” assistant art director, on New Year’s Day 1994, in Hawaii in a Buddhist ceremony. The pair was blessed with a daughter, Piper Maru, who was born on 25th September 1994. But they got divorced in 1997. Then on 29th December 2004, Anderson married Julian Ozanne, a documentarian, on Lamu Island, off the coast of Kenya. She announced their separation on 21st April 2006.
Anderson and former partner, businessman Mark Griffiths, have two children with whom she ended their relationship in 2012. Currently, she resides with her three children in London, where she has lived since 2002. From 2016 to December 2020, she was in a relationship with screenwriter and dramatist Peter Morgan. Reflecting on Aderson’s sexual orientation, she is bisexual.
Furthermore, Gillion told CBS News that she had dated other women, though most of her relationships had been with men. In an interview with the “London Evening Standard” in December 2014, she stated: “I am an actively heterosexual woman who celebrates however people want to express their Anderson also identified as heterosexual in a January 2015 interview. She also said in an interview with “The Daily Telegraph” in March 2015 that she was not closed to the idea of entering another same-sex relationship, adding: “To me, a relationship is about loving another human being; their gender is irrelevant.” She reiterated this to The Times in 2018, saying “I could be with a woman next year.” She accepted the label bisexual: “It’s just who I am. I have absolutely no issue with it whatsoever, and I don’t really care if other people have an issue with it.”
What is the Net Worth of Gillian Anderson?
Gillian Anderson is a versatile actress who has a net worth of $40 million as of 2021. She also earns a handsome amount of salary which is around $240,000 per episode. She has gained a considerable amount of money from her profession as her major source of income is from her acting career. Gillian initiated her career with TV advertisements as well. Some of which included, Hardee’s commercial in 1990, Educated the masses about the wonders of the Internet back in 1996, Digital Satellite TV ad (1999), Ford Explorer Radio Ad (2002), and many others.
How tall is Gillian Anderson?
Gillian Anderson is 5 ft 3 in or 160 cm tall and her body weighs around 56.5 kg or 124.5 lbs. She has good-looking dark blonde hair and grayish-blue eyes color. Her long face with a small sharp nose, mole on the upper lip, and translucent light grayish-blue eyes, have attracted a lot of people towards her. Gillian has a slim body build with 35-26-36 in or 89-66-91.5 cm of body measurement.