Gwen Shamblin Lara was an American author who was famous for being the founder of the Christian diet program The Weigh Down Workshop and the founder of the Remnant Fellowship Church. The most distinctive aspect of her writing is its combination of weight loss programs with Christianity. She was a registered dietician with degrees in dietetics and nutrition from the University of Tennessee and Memphis State University, the basis for her weight loss program, The Weigh Down Workshop, avoids calorie counting or “restricting” certain foods. She founded Weight Down in the year 1992, which she has described as a “faith-based weight loss” method that she said has helped thousands of people dealing with excess weight and addiction. The program was packaged for seminar use, churches began to sign up, and the media began to pay attention. By the late 1990s, Weigh Down was internationally known in most Protestant, Catholic, and Evangelical churches. Gwen Shamblin and The Weigh Down Workshop were featured on such shows as 20/20, Larry King Live, and The View, as well as in such magazines as Good Housekeeping and Woman’s Day. In the year 2014, she penned a follow-up book to “The Weigh Down Diet,” entitled “The Tablet”. She was also best known for being the wife of Joe Lara. Sadly, she passed away on 29th May 2021.
Christian dietitian and church founder Gwen Shamblin Lara, her actor husband, Joe Lara, and five others are presumed dead after a small private plane crashed into a lake near Nashville on Saturday, authorities said. She dies at 66 on May 29, 2021. The aircraft was headed to Palm Beach International Airport when it slammed into Percy Priest Lake in Smyrna, Tenn., about 12 miles east of Nashville, local officials said. By late Saturday night, Rutherford County crews said they were shifting operations from rescue to recovery, Rutherford County Fire Rescue Capt. Joshua Sanders said at a news briefing, as there appeared to be no survivors. The other passengers were identified Saturday night by Rutherford County officials: Jennifer J. Martin, David L. Martin, Jessica Walters, Jonathan Walters, and Brandon Hannah, Shamblin Lara’s son-in-law. All victims were reportedly members of Shamblin Lara’s church and residents of Brentwood, Tenn. Shamblin Lara’s daughter, Elizabeth Shamblin Hannah, who was not on the flight, sent a text to Remnant families on Saturday, asking for prayers and saying that the plane “had to go down for a controlled, quick landing”, News Channel 5 Nashville reported.
- Being an American Author and founder of the Remnant Fellowship Church.
- Being the second wife of American actor, Joe Lara.
What was the Nationality of Gwen Shamblin?
Gwen Shamblin Lara was born on February 18, 1955, in Memphis, Tennessee, the USA where she spent her childhood. She was American by nationality and her ethnicity was American-White. Thus, her race was White. She celebrated her 66th birthday for the last time with her close ones. Aquarius was her Zodiac sign as per her birth date. She was raised in a Church of Christ family. Due to this, her religion was Christian. Details about her parents and siblings have not been revealed yet.
Concerning her educational qualification, Gwen achieved an undergraduate degree in dietetics from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, and also she earned her master’s degree in food and nutrition from Memphis State University.
How was the Career of Gwen Shamblin Lara?
- Earning a dietetics degree, Gwen worked in the state’s health department for an additional five years. Previously, she was also a registered dietitian, consultant, and was a faculty member at Memphis State University for five years.
- She later began her consulting practice in the area of weight control in the year 1980.
- She then became “convinced that genetics, metabolism and behavior modification alone couldn’t explain why some people were thin and others battled the bulge.”
- Moreover, she also founded the Weigh Down Workshop, a weight loss program that has “no forbidden foods, exercise regimen or weigh-ins,” and avoids “calorie counting”.
- As per The Philadelphia Inquirer, “the Weigh Down Workshop attempts to help participants develop the discipline to eat only when they are hungry and to stop eating when they are full”.
- Due to her twelve-week seminar program by Gwen, the program quickly spread as far away as Europe and was offered in about 600 churches in at least 35 US States.
- In the year 1996, “Weigh Down”, which consisted of a forty-person staff, began building a headquarters in Franklin, Tennessee and also hosted an annual summer convention, known as Desert Oasis, in the Nashville area.
- Weigh Down Workshop classes would eventually spread to all fifty US states and every continent, becoming “one of the most popular weight-loss programs in the world” by mid-2000.
- In the year 1999, she founded the Remnant Fellowship Church. She also purchased 40 acres of land in Brentwood, Tennessee in 2002 where construction of the church building took place. The church does a live webcast for their church program.
- As an author, she published “The Weigh Down Diet” in March 1997. The book “advises using spirituality to avoid overeating and has sold more than 1.2 million copies”.
- According to her, people should only eat when they feel real, physical hunger and stop when full; prayer and Bible reading will fill emotional needs instead of food. Overeating is equated with greed. A core principle of The Weigh Down Diet, when people feel an urge to snack but are not experiencing physiological hunger, Lara encourages participants to read the Bible instead.
- She then released several books including “Rise Above” and a self-published devotional book titled “Exodus”.
- Later, her teachings appeared on BBC, 20/20, A Current Affair, The View, and Dateline (Australian) as well as in such magazines as Family Circle, Good Housekeeping, Woman’s Day, and many newspaper articles.
- What’s more, she had been featured on The Today Show, CNN’s Larry King Live, DaySide, and The Early Show.
- In the year 2007, The Tyra Banks Show devoted an hour-long program to Gwen, the Weigh Down Diet, the Fellowship, and participants from Weigh Down programs.
- After a couple of years, Gwen and Weigh Down were featured on such television programs as WeTV’s Secret Lives of Women, CBS’s The Insider.
- In late 2011, Gwen produced a live Internet show, titled “You Can Overcome”.
Gwen Shamblin Books
- The Weigh Down Diet
- Exodus: Daily Devotional
- Rise Above: God Can Set You Free from Your Weight Problems Forever
- Out of Egypt: Inspiration for Conquering Life’s Strongholds
- The Legend to the Treasure
- Weigh Down Basics: Workbook
- History of the One True God Workbook: Volume 1: The Origin of Good and Evil
- History of the Love of God: Volume II: A Love More Ancient Than Time.
- Exodus out of Egypt
- Rising above: the magnetic pull of the refrigerator
- Exodus from strongholds
- Weigh down at home
Who was Gwen Shamblin Lara married to?
Gwen Shamblin Lara was married two times during her lifetime. She married her first wife, David Shamblin with whom she had two children named Michael Shamblin and Elizabeth Hannah. The two got married in the year 1978 and later, they divorced in 2018. She also has seven grandchildren. For the second time, she married actor and model, Joe Lara in the year 2018. The duo was enjoying their life happily before her death alongside six other church leaders, including her husband Joe Lara and son-in-law Brandon Hannah on 291th May 2021 when N66BK, her 1982 Cessna Citation 501 private jet, bound for Palm Beach, Florida, crashed into Percy Priest Lake near Smyrna, Tennessee shortly after takeoff. Her sexual orientation was straight.
Everything You Need To Know About Joe Lara
What was the Net Worth of Gwen Shamblin Lara?
Author and founder of the Christian diet program “The Weigh Down Workshop” as well as the founder of the Remnant Fellowship Church, Gwen Shamblin Lara’s net worth was estimated to have $1 Million – $5 Million. Her major source of wealth was from book deals, tapes, television appearances, and more. Whereas her exact salary has not been stated by any sites yet. She was living a luxurious lifestyle from her earnings before she passed away.
How tall was Gwen Shamblin Lara?
Gwen Shamblin Lara was a pretty woman with a charming smile. Her body type was slim. She had a pair of green eyes and her hair was light brown. She maintained her body a lot. She had a perfect height matching her body weight.