Hafthor Bjornsson is an Icelandic professional strongman and actor, who is the first person to have won the three championship titles all in the same year which includes, “Arnold Strongman Classic”, “Europe’s Strongest Man” and “World’s Strongest Man”. He is widely recognized for playing the role of Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane in the popular HBO series, “Game of Thrones” for five seasons.
He is the Strongest Man in Iceland who has won the title of “Europe’s Strongest Man” in 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2019. On May 2, 2020, Bjornsson again made history by deadlifting 501 kg(1,105 lbs) under strongman rules at his gym in Iceland, surpassing Eddie Hall’s strongman deadlift record of 500 kg(1,100 lbs) set in 2016.
Besides, Hafthor is quite active in social media sites with his Twitter account: @thorbjornsson_ and Instagram account: @thorbjornsson with over 3 million followers.
What is Hafthor Bjornsson Famous for?
- Famous as the World’s Strongest Man and also as Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane in the popular HBO series, “Game of Thrones”.
Where was Hafthor Bjornsson Born?
Hafthor Bjornsson was born on November 26, 1988, in Reykjavik, Iceland. His birth name is Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson. His nationality is Icelandic. He belongs to British-Iceland ethnicity while Sagittarius is his zodiac sign.
Hafthor was born in a genetically tall family to father, Björn, who stands 6ft. 8inch(2.03m) tall 203, his mother, Ragnheiður, who is also of very tall stature. His grandfather, Reynir, is also very tall with a height of 6ft 9 1⁄2 in(207 cm).
Hafthor used to work on the family farm as a child even though he wasn’t tall at the time but was always big. He was raised along with his sister named Hafdís Lind Björnsdóttir.
Hafthor Bjornsson’s Career Highlights
- Hafthor Bjornsson began his athletic career as a basketball player playing as a center for Division I club, Breiðablik in 2004. In 2005, he joined Division I club, FSu Selfoss also in the Icelandic Division I. During the games, he broke his ankle for which he underwent surgery.
- In 2006, after recovering from the surgery, Björnsson moved to the club, KR, but he again underwent the surgery of his broken ankle during the 2006-07 season.
- He, however, had to retire from basketball because of his troublesome ankle, at the age of 20. During his tenure, he played 32 games for the Icelandic junior national basketball teams and 8 games with Iceland’s U-18 national team.
- Bjornsson got his turning point after he met a famous Icelandic strongman named Magnús Ver Magnússon at a gym in 2008.
- Just after 2 years of training, he finished winning several strongman contests in Iceland in 2010 including “Strongest Man in Iceland”, “Iceland’s Strongest Viking”, “Westfjords Viking”.
- He also won 5 events at the OK Badur Strongman Championships and finished in second place at the Jón Páll Sigmarsson Classic the same year in 2010.
- On June 4, 2011, he won the 2011 “Strongest Man in Iceland” contest, following on June 18, he won the 2011 Iceland’s Strongest Man contest as well.
- In 2015, he became history after he broke a 1,000-year-old record set by Orm Storolfsson, at the World’s Strongest Viking competition held in Norway.
- Bjornsson then took part in the “World’s Strongest Man” contest in 2011 but he finished at 6th place after which he placed third in 2012, 2013 and 2015, runner-up in 2014, 2016, and 2017 event.
- He got his most desired title after 7 years of long hard work thus becoming the 2018 “World’s Strongest Man”. He also became the first Icelander to win the title since Magnús Ver Magnússon in 1996.
- Bjornsson went on to break several records starting with the Elephant Bar deadlift world record on March 3, 2018, also becoming champion of the Arnold Strongman Classic 2018.
- He became only the second person to win 3 Arnold Strongman Classics in a row(2018, 2019 and 2020).
- On May 2, 2020, Bjornsson again made history by deadlifting 501 kg(1,105 lbs) under strongman rules at his gym in Iceland, surpassing Eddie Hall’s strongman deadlift record of 500 kg(1,100 lbs) set in 2016.
Career as an Actor
- Hafthor got his first main acting role as Ser Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane in the fourth season of the HBO series, “Game of Thrones” in 2013. He played the role of “The Mountain” for 4 seasons till season 8, becoming the first actor to portray the role in more than one continuous season.
- In 2015, he played the lead role in the debut season of “Philadelphia Renaissance Faire”. He was also cast as Mongkut in the film, “Kickboxer: Retaliation” in 2017.
Who is Hafthor Bjornsson Married to?
Hafthor Bjornsson is married to a Canadian waitress, Kelsey Henson. Kelsey and Hafthro met for the first time in 2017 when he was in Alberta, Canada for a strongman competition and visited the bar where Henson worked.
The couple actually looks different than other couples as the duo even garnered attention for the difference in their respective heights, as Henson is just 5ft. 2inch.(157 cm) while Hafthor is a giant man with his height of 6ft. 9inch. The couple got married on October 21, 2018, in a blasting wedding ceremony. On April 11, 2020, Hafthor announced expecting their first child together.
Previously, Hafthor was in relationships with several other beautiful ladies including his former girlfriend Thelma Björk Steimann with whom he has his first daughter, named Theresa Lif. In an online video interview, Hafthor lamented not having seen his daughter in three years not even once.
During early 2017, he dated Andrea Sif Jónsdóttir whom he met at a gym. The couple even lived together in Reykjavik at the time.
Besides, Hafthor was diagnosed with Bell’s palsy in 2017. He also has sleep troubles after a heavy meal due to his body weight.
How Tall is Hafthor Bjornsson?
Hafthor Bjornsson is a giant man in his 30s. Bjornsson is a handsome man with his wonderful athletic masculine body physique with his 32 inches thighs, 20 inches biceps, and 46 inches waist. He has a huge height of 6ft. 9inch.(2.06 m) for which he is regarded as “The Mountain” as well. He also has a heavy bodyweight of around 193kg.
Besides, Hafthor has several tattoos on his bodies including a tattoo of Jón Páll Sigmarsson on his calf. He also has tattoos of those in relation to Norse deities and the Viking culture.
What is the Net Worth of Hafthor Bjornsson?
Hafthor Bjornsson has quite a great earnings from his professional career as a strongman and as an actor. Belonging to this field of entertainment for over a decade, he has managed to amass a million worth fortune from his several wins contests and as an actor. He has an estimated net worth of around $2 million.
Besides, he also makes money from his several endorsement deals as he is also a brand ambassador for SodaStream. He is also the co-founder of the spirits brand, “Icelandic Mountain Vodka”. Hafthor also makes money from his youtube channel which alone has a net worth of around $603k.