Hagai Levi is an Israeli film and television creator, director, writer, editor, and producer who is well-recognized for creating, directing, and producing the television drama, “BeTipul”. He also gained recognition for producing HBO’s American adaptive show, “In Treatment”. For his work as a co-creator and co-producer in the American television drama, “The Affair”, he was awarded a Golden Globe award alongside Sarah Treem.
Recently, he has been on news for his work on the adaptation of the legendary Ingmar Bergman series, “Scenes from a Marriage” which became one of the only three television series ever to have been induced in the Venice Film Festival. The show is yet to be premiered however it seems to be the major hit of 2021.
What is Hagai Levi Famous for?
- Famous as an Israeli film and television creator and director.
- Known for his work in “BeTipul” and “Scenes from a Marriage”.
Where is Hagai Levi From?
Hagai Levi was born on July 2, 1963, in Sha’alvim, Israel. His birth name is Hagai Levi. His nationality is Israeli. Levi belongs to Asian ethnicity while Cancer is his zodiac sign.
Born and raised in his hometown in the Kibbutz religion, Levi has always had an interest in filmography since his childhood. Growing up, he loved watching movies in different genres thus decided to pursue a career as a director and producer.
To achieve his goal, he attended and eventually got graduated from the Tel Aviv university earning a degree in the Film and Television department. Hagai also had held the position of the Kibbutz’s film screener back at the time. A decade later, he went on to become a lecturer in the leading film schools in Israel as well.
Hagai Levi’s Career Highlights
- Hagai Levi started his career soon after his graduation with his debut feature film, “August Snow” released in 1993 at age of 30. He had written, directed, and co-produced the movie all by himself.
- He then created and co-produced the anthology series, “Short Stories about Love”. The series was a hit earning the Israeli Academy Awards for best drama twice.
- In 2000, he directed and co-created the medical drama series, “101”.
- He then worked for the daily drama, “Love Around The Corner” and TV single drama, “Premiere” both in 2002.
- He even wrote for the drama series, “Shabatot Vehagim”.
- He got his breakthrough when he created, directed, and produced the television drama, “BeTipul”. The series was so much loved that it was later remade in several other languages.
- It was followed by his work as a producer and co-director of HBO’s American adaptation show, “In Treatment”.
- In 2013, he created and directed the Israeli television mini-series, “The Accursed”.
- “The Affair”, an American series that ran for 5 whole seasons which Levi had co-created and co-produced released on October 12, 2014, earned him his first-ever Golden Globe award.
- He co-created, co-produced, and co-directed the HBO television drama, “Our Boys” which was released on August 12, 2019.
- He also worked as the head of the drama department in the leading Israeli TV channel, “Keshet” for 3 years from 2003 till 2006.
- His recent work includes his work on the adaptation of the legendary Ingmar Bergman series, “Scenes from a Marriage” which is set to be released in September 2021.
Awards and Achievements
- Golden Globe Award
- Israeli Academy Award for producing “BeTipul”
- Israeli Academy’s Best Director award for directing “BeTipul” alongside Nir Bergman.
- Remained film critic for various newspapers for 10 years
Hagai Levi’s Wife: Is Levi Married?
Hagai Levi was previously married and is a divorced man. His private life has been quite a secretive topic to be discussed. He however went through panic attacks back at the time that he had to take two Clonex before each flight.
During one of the interviews, he said “Today they are no longer part of my life, but they still lurk – I feel them once in a while. It started when I lost faith, and you are always scared it’s going to happen, so you avoid millions of things and limit your life and try to always control it. And you can’t.”
Hagai Levi’s Net Worth
Hagai Levi has quite good earnings from his professional career as a film and television director and producer. He is even considered to be an all-rounder when it comes to making a hit series or movies.
Having his career started soon after his graduation in 1993, Levi has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the popular creators and directors of all time. His source of income is surely his movies and series. Including which he has a net worth estimated to be around $1.2million.
Hagai Levi’s Height
Hagai Levi is a good-looking man with an average body physique in his late 50s. He has a fair complexion with bald hair and dark brown eyes. He stands tall with a height of probably 5ft. 7inch. and his body weighs around 56kg.