Helen Fielding is an English novelist and screenwriter who is well known as the creator of the fictional character “Bridget Jones” and has written a sequence of novels including “Bridget Jones’s Diary”(1996) and “Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason”(1999) which were sold in more than 15 million copies worldwide.
Her novel, “Bridget Jones’s Diary” was even named as one of the ten novels that best defined the 20th century. She also voiced herself in the season 14 episode “A Star Is Born Again”.Fielding was even named the 29th most influential person in British culture in a poll conducted by the BBC in 2004. Her created character, Bridget Jones was included as one of the seven women who had most influenced British female culture over the last seven decades.
What is Helen Fielding Famous for?
- Famous as the creator of the character “Bridget Jones”
Where was Helen Fielding Born?
Helen Fielding was born on February 19, 1958, in Morley, West Yorkshire, England. Her birth name is Helen Fielding. Her nationality is British. Fielding belongs to White ethnicity while Pisces is her zodiac sign.
Helen Fielding was born as one of the four children to her parents. Her father worked as a managing director of a textile factory, who died in 1982 while her mother was a homemaker who still lives in Yorkshire.
Helen grew up along with her three siblings, Jane, David, and Richard in her hometown where she attended Wakefield Girls’ High School and then studied English at St Anne’s College, Oxford University.
She was also part of the Oxford Revue at the 1978 Edinburgh Festival, where she met several comic performers and writers including Richard Curtis and Rowan Atkinson.
Helen Fielding’s Career Highlights
- Helen Fielding started her career initially working as a regional researcher on the news magazine, “Nationwide” of BBC in 1979
- After almost 6 years later, she produced a live satellite broadcast from a refugee camp for the launch of Comic Relief in Eastern Sudan.
- She also wrote and produced documentaries in Africa for the first two Comic Relief broadcasts.
- She then worked as a researcher for an edition of the Thames TV This Week series, “Where Hunger is a Weapon” in 1989.
- She eventually began working as a journalist and columnist on several national newspapers, including The Sunday Times, The Independent, and The Telegraph.
- Her first novel, “Cause Celeb”, was published in 1994.
- Two years later, her best work, “Bridget Jones’s Diary” was published in 1996, the paperback later in 1997. It went straight to the top of the best-seller chart and went on to become a worldwide best-seller.
- Her columns in “The Independent” since 1995 led to four novels and three film adaptations in all of which Fielding was a part of the scriptwriting team.
- She also continued her columns in The Daily Telegraph until 1997, publishing a second Bridget novel, “Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason” in November 1999.
- The movie, “Bridget Jones’s Diary” was released in 2001 and its sequel in 2004.
- Her other novel, “Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy” was published in autumn 2013 with record-breaking first-day sales in the UK occupying the number one spot on The Sunday Times bestseller list for six months.
- Her latest novel, “Bridget Jones’s Baby: The Diaries” was published in 2016.
- 1997 British Book of the Year
- 2002 Evening Standard Award Best Screenplay
- 2013 Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize shortlist
- 2016 (Evening Standard) Peter Sellers Award for Comedy
- 2016 Honorary Doctorate of Literature, University of York
- 2017 Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for Bridget Jones’s Baby: The Diaries
Helen Fielding’s Husband
Helen Fielding was in a relationship with her long-time partner, Kevin Curran. Curran was a popular American television comedy writer who was well known for working as the writer/executive producer on “The Simpsons”. The couple began a relationship in 2000 and remained together for almost 10 years till they separated on July 24, 2009.
Curran, unfortunately, died from cancer complications on October 26, 2016. Withing 10 long years of togetherness, they had two children: Dashiell(born in 2004) and Romy(born in 2006).
Helen Fielding’s Net Worth
Helen Fielding has quite good earnings from her career as a novelist and screenwriter. Having her career started initially as a regional researcher at BBC in 1979, Fielding has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the popular and successful writers in her decade-long career.
Writing her best novel, “Bridget Jones” which is one of the best-selling books of all time, Fielding has managed to earn a healthy fortune estimated to be around $8 million.
Helen Fielding’s Height
Helen Fielding is a beautiful lady with a well maintained average body physique in her 60s. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 5inches. while her body weighs around 58kg. Her body measurement is around 32-28-32 inches with a bra size of 32B, 4(US) as her dress size, and 6(US) as her shoe size. She has a fair complexion with light brown hair and green eyes.