Born into an important political family, British actress Helena Bonham Carter endured a difficult childhood, having to cope with her parents’ ill-health. Her debut movie ‘Lady Jane’ and her roles in the Merchant-Ivory productions, ‘A Room with a View’ and ‘Howards End’ gave her the image of an Edwardian heroine. Her relation with Tim Burton helped her personally and professionally. She worked in many of Burton’s films such as ‘Planet of the Apes’ ‘Big Fish’, ‘Sweeny Todd’ and ‘Alice in Wonderland’.
Apart from these Burton films, she played the mad witch Bellatrix in several ‘Harry Potter’ films, the innkeeper Madame Thénardier in the big-budget musical ‘Les Misérables’ and Miss Havisham in ‘Great Expectations’. As an actress, she has proved her ability to portray thoroughly modern characters and has always added value to any project in which she appeared. Let’s know more about the actress through this article.
What makes Helena Bonham famous?
Helena Bonham Carter is a famous English actress of film, stage, and television. Likely, she is also known for her roles in films such as A Room with a View, Fight Club, and the Harry Potter series. Three of her standout performances came in the films, ‘Wings of the Dove’, as the manipulative Kate Croy, ‘The King’s Speech’ as Queen Elizabeth and ‘Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street’.
Who are the parents of Helena Bonham Carter?
Recalling her early life, Helena Bonham Carter was born in Islington, London, England. Her father’s name is Raymond Bonham Carter is a merchant banker and her mother’s name is Elena Propper De Callejon is a psychotherapist. She came from a renowned political family. Her paternal grandparents were successful politicians.
She has two siblings named Edward Bonham Carter and Thomas Bonham Carter. She holds British citizenship and mixed (English- Ashkenazi Jewish- Spanish- Irish- French) ethnicity. Her birth sign is Gemini.
Talking about her education history, she was educated at South Hampstead High School, she completed her A-levels at Westminster School. Then, she went to King’s College, Cambridge, would not admit her because they felt that she would discontinue the course to pursue her acting career.
How Helena Bonham Carter become an actor?
- Talking about her career, Carter won a national writing contest in 1979. She debuted at 16th in a television commercial. Likely, she played the title role in the movie, ‘Lady Jane’, in 1986. In fact, in the Merchant-Ivory produced 1986 romance film, ‘A Room with a View’ she had a significant role as Lucy Honeychurch, who falls in love with a free-spirited young man.
- Whereas, between 1986 and 1988, she concentrated on television work. She also appeared in episodes of Miami Vice and Fabulous and starred in television films such as A Hazard of Hearts and The Vision. Likewise, her role as Helen Schlegel in the 1992 Merchant-Ivory film, ‘Howards End’, based upon the novel by E. M. Forster.
- In, ‘Fight Club’, a 1999 film based on the novel by Chuck Palahniuk, she starred with Edward Norton and Brad Pitt. She also played a dissolute woman, Marla Singer and received positive reviews from critics. For, ‘Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit’, a 2005 animated film, she lent her voice to the character Lady Tottington. Whereas, the actress opened her fashion line, ‘The Pantaloonies’, in collaboration with swimwear designer Samantha Sage, in 2006.
- She essayed the character of Enid Blyton, the children’s writer, in ‘Enid’, a British dramatic television film, first broadcast in 2009 on BBC Four. This was also an award-winning effort. Likewise, ‘The King’s Speech’, a 2010 British epic historical drama film directed by Tom Hooper saw her portray Queen Elizabeth.
- Moreover, from 2007-2011, she also played the Bellatrix Lestrange in the final four Harry Potter films.
- In 2013, Bonham Carter appeared as Elizabeth Taylor, alongside Dominic West as Richard Burton, in BBC4’s Burton & Taylor which premiered at the 2013 Hamptons International Film Festival. She played the Fairy Godmother in the 2015 live-action re-imagining of Walt Disney’s Cinderella. In 2016, Bonham Carter reprised her role as the Red Queen in Alice Through the Looking Glass.
- In June 2018, Carter starred in a spin-off of the Ocean’s Eleven Trilogy, titled Ocean’s 8, alongside Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, and Sarah Paulson. She plays an older Princess Margaret for the Netflix series The Crown, replacing Vanessa Kirby who played a younger version for the first two seasons.
Is Helena Bonham Carter married or not?
Reflecting on her personal life, Carter’s current marital status is unmarried but she is in a relationship with Dag Holmboe. It was reported that they first met at a wedding in the summer of 2018 and began a relationship that October. The couple has kept their relationship very private and made their first red carpet appearance together in October 2019. As of now the couple enjoying their love life happily without rumors of separation.
Before Dag Holmboe, she has several relationships. They are Northern Irish (1994-1999), Rufus Sewell (a couple of months in 1999), Steve Martin (summer of 2000), and Tim Burton (2001-2014). Form her relationship with Tim for almost 13 years, she welcomes two children. They are Billy Raymond Burton and Nell Burton. The reason for the separation is yet to be disclosed.
How much net worth does Helena Bonham Carter?
As an actress, Carter earns a decent amount of money and fame in the field of the entertainment industry. Based on online reports, her estimated net worth said to be $60 million at present. However, his salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Helena Bonham Carter?
Observing her body physics, Carter has a height of 5 feet 2 inches and she weighs 55Kg. Additionally, she has a measurement of 35-26-34 inches and her bra size is 34A. Similarly, her hair color is dark brown and her eyes color is dark brown. Furthermore, her dress size is 6 (US) and her shoe size is 8 (US).