Hidilyn Francisco Diaz, professionally known as Hidilyn Diaz is a Filipino weightlifter and airwoman who is well recognized for winning the gold medal at the women’s 55 kg category for weightlifting at the 2020 Summer Olympics. She was a bronze medalist in the 2007 SEA Games in Thailand and achieved 10th place at the 2006 Asian Games in the 53-kilogram class. She became the first Filipina weightlifter to compete in two consecutive Olympics whereas she is also the first female weightlifter to compete for the Philippines in the Olympics, and the sixth weightlifter overall. Diaz’s achievements at the 2020 Summer Olympics were remarkable, as she has been stranded in Malaysia since February 2020. Moreover, she was also awarded the Athlete of the Year of the Philippine Sportswriters Association on 14th February 2017.
Hidilyn Diaz wins Philippines’ first Olympic gold medal with weightlifting
Hidilyn Diaz made history Monday becoming the first athlete from the Philippines to win gold at the Olympics. The 30-year-old set an Olympic record, lifting a combined weight of 224 kilograms, to clinch the top spot in the women’s 55-kg class in Tokyo. Diaz burst into tears and embraced her coaches after completing the record-breaking lift. She was seen clutching her medal and pointing to the Philippines flag on her jersey while stood on the podium.
Philippines Presidential spokesperson, Harry Roque, congratulated Diaz for “bringing pride and glory” to the island nation in a statement posted to Twitter on Monday. “The entire Filipino nation is proud of you,” he said. Prior to Diaz’s gold, the South East Asian nation of roughly 108 million had claimed just 10 Olympic medals — 3 silvers and 7 bronzes
- Being a Filipino weightlifter and airwoman.
- For winning the gold medal at the women’s 55 kg category for weightlifting at the 2020 Summer Olympics.
Where is Hidilyn Diaz from?
Hidilyn Diaz was born on 20th February 1991 with the real name of Hidilyn Francisco Diaz in Zamboanga City, Philippines. She is Filipino by nationality and Filipino-white by ethnicity. Similarly, her religion is Christian and her race is white. Hidilyn has celebrated her 30th birthday as of 2021 and as per her birth date, her star sign is Pisces. She is the daughter of her father, Eduardo Diaz, and her mother, Emelita Diaz. Her father was a tricycle driver before becoming a farmer and a fisherman. She has five siblings.
Talking about Diaz’s academic qualification, she attended the Universidad de Zamboanga where she pursued a bachelor’s degree in computer science. However, Diaz stopped attending the university as a third-year irregular student as she found her degree unsuitable for her. She later received a scholarship to study business management at De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde in January 2017. She had re-enrolled into online classes in 2020 since the Summer Olympics had been postponed to July 2021.
What does Hidilyn Diaz do for a living?
- Hidilyn Diaz kicks off her career being selected as a wild card entry to the Summer Olympics by the Philippine Weightlifting Association in early 2008 after which she became the first female weightlifter to compete for the Philippines in the Olympics, and the sixth weightlifter overall.
- She herself set at the 2007 Southeast Asian Games by competing in the women’s 58-kg class, 17-year-old Diaz lifted 85-kg in the snatch and 107-kg in the clean and jerk for a 192-kg total.
- By qualifying in the women’s weightlifting under 58 kg through the Continental and World Qualifying Tournaments, she became the first Filipina weightlifter to compete in two consecutive Olympics as well as she was ranked ninth in her event heading to the Olympics.
- Diaz weighed around 56.28 kg during her first Olympic campaign, making her the lightest among competitors. Come 2012 Olympics.
- She increased her weight to 57.70 kg but still struggled making it to the top half of the competition, whereas trying to improve her chances of landing a podium finish at the 2016 Rio Olympics, she decided to drop weight from under 58 kg to under 53 kg. She managed to lift a 98 kg snatch and a 115 kg clean and jerk for a 213 kg total. The same mark is good for 4th place in the 2012 London Olympics.
- She copped a gold medal in 2015 and a bronze medal in 2016 in the Asian Weightlifting Championships and she also earned three bronze medals for the clean, jerk, and snatch events in the 53 kg division of the IWF World Weightlifting Championship held in Houston, Texas on 22nd November 2015 to claim a spot in the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- As well, she dominated the women’s 58 kg event of the 2015-2016 Philippine National Games National Finals in March 2016 held at Lingayen Town Plaza, Lingayen, Pangasinan, with a 92 kg snatch and 120 kg clean and jerk combined into 212 kg.
- Hidilyn competed in her 3rd consecutive Olympics in the women’s 53kg weightlifting category with the intention of at least winning a bronze medal in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- She surpassed her own personal target and won the silver medal at the event, after successfully clinching a lift of 88 kg in her second attempt in snatch event (placed 6th) and 111 kg and 112 kg in the first and second attempts in the clean and jerk event (placed 2nd). This was the first medal for the Philippines in the Summer Olympics after 20 years as well as this was the first non-boxing medal for the nation since 1936.
- Later she participated in the women’s 53 kg event in the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia where she had a total lift of 207 kg, beating Turkmenistan’s Kristina Shermetova (206 kg) and Thailand’s Surodchana Khambao (201 kg) to deliver the Philippines’ first gold in the 2018 games, as well as the first Filipino weightlifter of any gender to win a gold medal in the Asian Games.
- She again got a bronze in the 2019 edition of the same event after winning a bronze in the 2017 World Championships.
- She also won a silver in the 2019 Asian Championship and another gold in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games in Manila.
- Hidilyn won the gold medal in the women’s 55kg event at the Roma 2020 World Cup in Rome, Italy in January 2020.
- She also won the gold medal at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo on 26th July 2021 which was the first-ever gold medal won by a Filipino athlete since the country’s first appearance in the Olympics in 1924. She set a new Olympic record with a combined weight of 224 kg.
- Additionally, her achievements at the 2020 Summer Olympics were remarkable, as she has been stranded in Malaysia since February 2020, due to travel restrictions imposed by governments to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Hidilyn Diaz was recruited into the Philippine Air Force (PAF) through the military arm’s Direct Enlistment Program in 2013 whereas she was initially assigned to the Air Force Special Service Group.
- She was initially assigned to the Air Force Special Service Group in 2014 and she was also a recipient of a Military Merit Medal for organizing PAF events and a Presidential Citation Unit Badge.
- She was assigned to PAF Personnel Management Center on a temporary basis when she was training for her stint at the 2016 Summer Olympics as well as she was given a promotion by the PAF for her achievement at the Olympics.
- As well, Diaz was promoted to the rank of Airwoman First Class, and following her success in the 2018 Asian Games, she was also promoted to Airwoman Sergeant.
Who is Hidilyn Diaz Dating?
Hidilyn Diaz is an unmarried lady. She is in a romantic relationship with Julius Naranjo who is a former weightlifter who competed for Guam in international competitions and a professional weightlifting coach, a strength and conditioning coach, and a filmmaker. The pair’s relationship was featured on an episode of GMA Network’s “Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho”. It seems that she is comfortable keeping her personal life open to the public. Concerning Diaz’s sexual orientation, she is straight.
How much is Hidilyn Diaz Net Worth?
Hidilyn Diaz has a net worth of between $1 million to $5 million as of 2021. She has also a handsome amount of salary which is also in thousands of dollars per year. She has reached great heights in her career already and she still has a lot more to do. Diaz has not done any endorsement work yet. In addition, her major source of income is from her weightlifter and airwoman career.
What is the Height of Hidilyn Diaz?
Hidilyn Diaz is a beautiful lady who has a height of 1.50 m (4 ft 11 in) whereas her body weighs around 54.90 kg (121 lb). She has short good-looking dark brown hair and eyes color. Hidilyn is athletic by body build.