Iga Swiatek is a Polish professional tennis player who is well known as the first Polish Grand Slam singles champion in the history of winning the 2020 French Open. She is the youngest women’s singles champion at the tournament of French Open since Monica Seles in 1992. With her career-high Women’s Tennis Association(WTA) ranking of No. 48 in the world, she is ranked to be the third-highest ranked teenager in the tennis profession.
Born as the daughter of Olympic rower, Tomasz Swiatek, Iga got her first grand win as a junior while she led Poland to the Junior Fed Cup crown in 2016 and won a doubles gold medal for Poland at the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics.
Within her 4 years long career as a professional tennis player, Swiatek has garnered a total of 7 titles on the ITF Tour, double gold medals at the Summer Youth Olympics, a Fed Cup Titled, and French Open. With the titles, she is currently set to be on no. 17 in the world.
Besides, Iga is quite active in social media sites with over 254k followers on verified Instagram account: @iga.swiatek.
What is Iga Swiatek Famous for?
- Famous as an award-winning Polish professional tennis player.
Where was Iga Swiatek Born?
Iga Swiatek was born on May 31, 2001, in Warsaw, Poland. Her birth name is Iga Swiatek. Her nationality is Polish. Swiatek belongs to White ethnicity while Gemini is her zodiac sign.
Iga Swiatek was born as the youngest daughter of her parents: Tomasz Swiatek(father) and Dorota(mother). Her father, Tomasz himself is a Polish rower who previously had competed in the men’s quadruple sculls event at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
Iga grew up along with her elder sister, Agata who is just three years elder than her. Belonging to a family with a sports background, Iga always had an interest in sports since her childhood as her father also wanted his daughters to become competitive athletes. He wanted them to take up an individual sport rather than a team sport.
Source: [email protected]
Iga followed her sister, Agata who initially was into swimming later switching to tennis, to match up to her and to be more like her. Iga then got trained at Mera Warsaw as a 14-year-old before later moving to Legia Warsaw to start a new journey of her life.
She even began competing in ITF Junior Circuit events in 2015 while she was 13 years old. She made her junior Grand Slam debut in 2016 at the French Open and ended up winning the best junior title at the Grade 1 Canadian Open Junior Championships.
Iga Swiatek’s Career Highlights and Wins
- Iga Swiatek began her professional career after she competed on the ITF Women’s Circuit in 2016.
- She won all seven ITF singles finals she reached: her first three titles came at 15 years old.
- Swiatek entered the top 200 for the first time at the age of 17, rising from No. 298 to No. 180 in those two weeks in 2018.
- She went on to the WTA Tour getting her first WTA draw at the Australian Open.
- She made her first WTA breakthrough at the Ladies Open Lugano in April 2019.
- Finishing at the runner-up place, she also made her debut in the top 100 while still 17 years old.
- She entered the top 50 for the first time in 2019 after the end of the US Open which she lost before no. 1 Naomi Osaka.
- Swiatek made her return to the WTA Tour at the Australian Open 2020. Her best score came at a Grand Slam tournament where she got a victory over no. 20 Donna Vekic.
- Her last match wins before the WTA Tour was shut down for six months due to the COVID-19 pandemic was the victory over Vekic again.
- She also reached the third round at the US Open, losing to eventual runner-up Victoria Azarenka.
- She won the singles event for her maiden WTA title after the rescheduled French Open in September.
- In the French Open 2020 finals, she defeated world No. 6 Sofia Kenin to became the first Polish player to win a Grand Slam singles title ever and the lowest-ranked French Open champion in the history of the WTA rankings.
- She won the title without dropping a set or more than five games to any opponent.
- With the title, she rose to No. 17 in the world. She also played the doubles event, partnering with Nicole Melichar for the first time.
International Level Competition and Titles
- Swiatek represented Poland at the ITF World Junior Tennis Finals for 14-and-under girls twice in 2014 and 2015. She even won all of her matches in 2014 leading Poland to a ninth place.
- She won the Junior Fed Cup titled in 2016 defeating the United States 2–1 in the final.
- The last event of her junior career was the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games.
- She also made her senior Billie Jean King Cup debut in 2018.
- She won her only singles match in 2018 and 2019 won both of her doubles matches while partnering with Alicja Rosolska.
- She won all three of her singles matches in the 2020 Europe/Africa Zone Group I round.
Iga Swiatek’s Personal Life
Iga Swiatek isn’t dating anyone at the moment and is currently single. She seems to be more focused on her career rather than being in a relationship in her late-teens. She lives in her hometown with her black fluffy pet cat.
Iga Swiatek’s Net Worth
Iga Swiatek has quite good earnings from her professional career as a tennis player. Having her career started at an early age of 14, Switaek has managed to earn quite a good fortune from her several matches and wins.
Within her just 5 years long career, Swiatek has managed to amass a net worth estimated to be around $1.5 million. She also makes money from her several endorsement deals including Nike, Red Bull, Lexus, and Asics.
Also, with her latest win at the 2020 French Open, she won a handful of prize money of $1.1 million.
Iga Swiatek’s Height
Iga Swiatek is a gorgeous lady with a well-maintained athletic body physique in her 20s. Being an athlete, Swiatek maintains her body doing daily workouts and has got a well-maintained healthy body physique. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 9inch.(1.75m) while her body weighs around 64kg(141 lbs).
She has a fair complexion with light brown hair and dark brown eyes.