Ilkay Gundogan is a German professional football player who plays for Premier League club Manchester City and the German national team as a midfielder. He started playing football for the youth team of SV Gelsenkirchen-Hessler 06 and also played for the youth team of Schalke 04, SSV Buer, and VfL Bochum. He came through VfL Bochum’s youth academy and began playing for the club’s reserve team in 2008. In 2009, he moved to 1. FC Nurnberg and made his debut for the club on 8 August 2009. On 19 September 2009, he made his first assist in his fourth Bundesliga match against Bayern Munich. On 5 May 2011, he signed a four-year contract with Borussia Dortmund for an approximate transfer fee of €4 million and made his on 23 July 2011 in the DFL-Supercup. With Borussia Dortmund, he won one Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and DFL-Supercup. After playing a total of 157 matches and scoring 15 goals for the club, he signed for Manchester City for an estimated transfer fee of £21 million in the summer of 2016. Since joining Manchester City, he won two Premier League titles, FA Community Shield, three EFL Cup, and one FA Cup.
On the international level, he has represented Germany at various age levels. He has represented Germany at U18, U19, U20, U21, and the senior level. He made his senior debut for Germany in 2011. He was chosen in Germany’s squads for UEFA Euro 2012 and the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Source: [email protected]
What is Ilkay Gundogan Famous For?
- Being a professional football player.
- Won the 2011-12 Bundesliga with Borussia Dortmund.
- Won the 2011-12 DFB-Pokal with Borussia Dortmund.
- Won the 2013 DFL-Supercup with Borussia Dortmund.
- Won 2017-18, 2018-19 Premier League with Manchester City.
- Won the 2018-19 FA Cup with Manchester City.
- Won 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 EFL Cup with Manchester City.
- Won 2018, 2019 FA Community Shield with Manchester City.
Where is Ilkay Gundogan From?
Ilkay Gundogan was born on 24 October 1990. His birthplace is Gelsenkirchen, Germany. He was born to his father, Irfan Gundogan, and his mother, Ayten Gundogan where he grew up with his brother, Ilker Gundogan. He holds German nationality. He belongs to the white ethnicity. His religion is Muslim. His horoscope sign is Scorpio.
Ilkay Gundogan Football Career Timeline
- He started playing football for the youth team of SV Gelsenkirchen-Hessler 06 and also played for the youth team of Schalke 04, SSV Buer, and VfL Bochum.
- He came through VfL Bochum’s youth academy and began playing for the club’s reserve team in 2008.
- In 2009, he moved to 1. FC Nurnberg and made his debut for the club on 8 August 2009 in a 1-2 loss against Schalke 04.
- On 19 September 2009, he made his first assist in his fourth Bundesliga match against Bayern Munich. On 12 February 2010, he scored his first goal for 1. FC Nurnberg in a 1-1 draw to Bayern Munich.
- From 2009-2011, he made 48 appearances and scored 6 goals for 1. FC Nurnberg.
- On 5 May 2011, he signed a four-year contract with Borussia Dortmund for an approximate transfer fee of €4 million and made his on 23 July 2011 in the DFL-Supercup against Schalke 04.
- On 17 December 2011, he scored his first goal for Dortmund in a 4-1 victory away to SC Freiburg.
- On 20 March 2012, he scored a 120th-minute goal to defeat Greuther Furth and send Dortmund into the final of the DFB-Pokal. He played the entire final on 12 May 2012 in a 5-2 victory over Bayern Munich which gave Dortmund their first domestic double.
- In the 2011-12 season, he helped Borussia Dortmund reach their first UEFA Champions League Final since 1996-97.
- On 27 July 2013, he scored a goal when he won the 2013 DFL-Supercup with Dortmund 4-2 against rivals Bayern Munich. In April 2014, he signed a new contract, to keep him at the club until 2016.
- On 28 April 2015, he and Sebastian Kehl scored in a penalty shootout victory over Bayern Munich which sent Dortmund into the DFB-Pokal Final. On 1 July 2015, he signed a contract extension to keep him at the club until 2017.
- With Borussia Dortmund, he won one Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and DFL-Supercup.
- After playing a total of 157 matches and scoring 15 goals for the club, he signed for Manchester City for an estimated transfer fee of £21 million in the summer of 2016.
- He made his debut on 14 September 2016 in a 4-0 win against Borussia Monchengladbach, playing for the first time in four months in a UEFA Champions League group stage game.
- On 17 September 2016, he started and scored with a low, right-foot shot in a 4-0 won against AFC Bournemouth at the City of Manchester Stadium.
- On 14 December 2016, in a Premier League match against Watford, he was substituted in the 44th minute with knee ligament damage, with Guardiola stating he would be out injured for several months. It was later confirmed he tore his cruciate ligaments in his right knee and would miss the remainder of the season.
Source: [email protected]
- On 16 September 2017, he made his first appearance for Manchester City in nine months, appearing as a substitute in a 6-0 win against Watford. On 16 December 2017, he scored his first goal of the season with a header, assisted by Leroy Sane in a 4-1 win against Tottenham Hotspurs.
- In August 2019, he signed a new four-year contract with Manchester City.
- He won the Premier League in 2018 and 2019, the EFL Cup in 2018, 2019, 2020, the FA Community Shield in 2018, 2019, and FA Cup in 2019.
- On 21 September 2020, he tested positive for COVID-19, meaning he would have to self-isolate for ten days.
Source: [email protected]
- On 15 December 2020, he scored his first premier league goal of the season in a 1-1 home draw against West Bromwich Albion.
- On 7 February 2021, he scored a brace in a 4-1 away league win over Liverpool, sealing City’s first win at Anfield since 2003.
- On 12 February 2021, he received Premier League Player of the Month for his outstanding performances throughout January. On 12 March 2021, he received the Premier League Player of the Mouth for a second consecutive month, with four goals and one assist in five games. In doing so, he became the first player for Manchester City to win back-to-back awards for the club.
- On 13 February 2021, he scored twice and gave an assist in a 3-0 win against Tottenham Hotspurs.
Ilkay Gundogan International Career
- He has represented Germany at various age levels.
- He has represented Germany at U18, U19, U20, U21, and the senior level.
- He received his first call-up to the German senior team in August 2011 for a friendly match against Brazil but did not feature in the game.
- On 11 October 2011, he made his senior debut for Germany in a 3-1 win against Belgium in a UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying match at the Esprit Arena, Dusseldorf, coming on as a substitute for captain Philipp Lahm for the last six minutes.
- In May 2012, he was selected for the German 23-man squad for UEFA Euro 2012 where Germany reached the semi-finals, but he did not feature.
- On 26 March 2013, he scored his first goal for Germany in a 4-1 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Kazakhstan at the Frankenstadion, Nuremberg.
- In 2014, he was taken off with a back injury in the match, ruling him out for an entire year where he would miss the 2014 FIFA World Cup, which Germany would go on to win.
- On 6 May 2016, he was unable to participate in the Euro 2016 final stages due to injury.
- He, however, make the team’s preliminary squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia which was announced in May 2018. On 4 June 2018, he was selected in the final 23-man squad for the World Cup.
Ilkay Gundogan Girlfriend
Looking at his personal life, he was previously in a relationship with his beautiful girlfriend, Sila Sahin, a German Turkish actress and model. They dated for two years from 2013 to 2015 before splitting up. Their separation is believed to be in mutual understanding. As of 2021, he is single and is not dating anyone. The footballer is focusing on his professional career than being involved in a new romantic relationship. Any updates on his love life will be updated here.
Ilkay Gundogan Height
Ilkay Gundogan stands at a height of 1.80m i.e. 5 feet and 11 inches tall. He has a bodyweight of 80kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black His sexual orientation is straight.
Ilkay Gundogan Net Worth and Salary
Ilkay Gundogan earns from his professional career as a football player. His income is from contracts, salaries, bonuses, and endorsements. In 2009, he moved to 1. FC Nurnberg. In 2011, he signed a four-year contract with Borussia Dortmund for an approximate transfer fee of €4 million. In 2016, he signed for Manchester City for an estimated transfer fee of £21 million. As of 2021, his estimated net worth is €30 million and his salary is £7.2 million, while his market value is around €40 million.