Earl Joseph “J.R.” Smith III, professionally known as J.R. Smith is an American professional basketball player who plays as a shooting guard. Smith was drafted in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft by the New Orleans Hornets. He also played for Denver Nuggets, New York Knicks, Cleveland Cavaliers, and Los Angeles Lakers. Smith led the Cavaliers to four NBA Championships Finals, winning one in 2016. He later won the second NBA title of his career the Lakers in 2020. Outside of NBA, he played for the Chinese team, Zhejiang Golden Bulls during the NBA Lockout.
What is J.R. Smith Famous For?
- Won Two NBA Championships.
Where is J.R. Smith From?
J.R. Smith was born on 9 September 1985. His birth name is Earl Joseph Smith III. His birth place is in Freehold Borough, New Jersey in the United States. He holds an American nationality. He was born to his father, Earl Smith, and his mother, Ida Smith. He has five siblings, three brothers, and two sisters. His hometown is the Clarksburg section of Millstone Township, New Jersey. He belongs to the African-American ethnicity and his religion is Christianity.
Smith spent 5 years in high school. He attended Steinert High School, McCorristin Catholic High School, Lakewood High School, Saint Benedict’s Preparatory School. He played football and baseball before focusing on basketball as a high school senior. He faced a lengthy recruiting battle and ultimately chose to play college basketball for the University of North Carolina.
J.R. Smith Career
- J.R. Smith won co-MVP with Dwight Howard at the 2004 McDonald’s All-American Game. He then decided to forgo college and declared for the 2004 NBA Draft.
- New Orleans Hornets selected him in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft. He had outstanding stats in his rookie season but failed out in his second NBA season with the Hornets. Thus, he fell out of favor with the Hornets.
- He was traded to the Chicago Bulls in July 2006. The Bulls traded him to the Denver Nuggets in just six days. He missed several games due to suspension and injury in his first season with the Nuggets. However, he bounced back in the 2007-08 season and finished second in voting for the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award. He led the Nuggets to Northwest Division Championships. He had outstanding stats for the 2009-10 season but ended his Nuggets tenure due to the NBA lockout.
- Due to the NBA lockout, he signed a one-year deal estimated at $3 million with the Chinese club Zhejiang Golden Bulls in September 2011. He averaged 34.4 points, 7.4 rebounds, 4.1 assists, and 2.5 steals per game for the Golden Bulls.
- He returned to the NBA, signing with the New York Knicks in February 2012. His outstanding performance for the season earned him the NBA Sixth Man of the Year award. He missed the first five games of the 2013-14 season for violating the NBA’s anti-drug policy. Before ending his tenure with the Knicks, he set several NBA as well as franchise records.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers acquired Smith in January 2015. He helped the Cavaliers to reach the NBA Finals in his first season there, which they lost to the Golden State Warriors. Smith played a key role for the Cavaliers when they avenged the NBA Championship Finals loss against the Warriors in 2016. He became a key player for the Cavaliers which won the franchise’s first-ever NBA title. Their third consecutive NBA Championship Finals meet went in favor of the Warriors. The Cavaliers lost another NBA Championship Finals to the Warriors in the following season. He was waived by the Cavaliers in July 2019.
- Smith signed with the Los Angeles Lakers in July 2020 for the remainder of the 2019-20 season. Reunited with his former Cavaliers teammate, LeBron James, he went on to win his second NBA title, his first with the Lakers.
- He enrolled at North Carolina A&T State University in 2021. He is aiming for a degree in liberal studies.
- He also has plans to join the Aggies golf team.
- He is not retired or hasn’t made any official retirement announcement yet.
How Tall is J.R. Smith?
J.R. Smith stands at a height of 1.98 m i.e. 6 feet and 6 inches tall. He has a body weight of around 220 lbs i.e. 100 kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. He is described as the most heavily tattooed player in the NBA. He got his first tattoo at the age of 15. He has over 70 tattoos on his body. His sexual orientation is straight.
Who is J.R. Smith Wife?
J.R. Smith is a married man. He is married to Jewel Harris. The two got married in 2016. The couple has three children together, Demi Smith, Dakota Smith, and Peyton Smith. He also has a daughter from his previous relationship. More details about his personal life will be updated soon.
What is J.R. Smith Net Worth?
J.R. Smith is a professional basketball player. Smith earns from his professional career as a basketball player. His income comes from contracts and salaries, and bonuses. He last played for the NBA team, Los Angeles Lakers with whom he won his second NBA Championship. He was drafted in the first round by the New Orleans Hornets and played for several NBA teams. During the NBA lockout, he played for the Chinese club, Zhejiang Golden Bulls. He had won his first NBA Championship with Cleveland Cavaliers in 2016. His annual salary at Cavaliers was $12.8 million. His other income comes from sponsorships and endorsements. He endorsed Nike and Supreme in 2018. Cleveland clothing company started selling a T-shirt with Smith’s torso and upper arm tattoos in 2016. At present, his net worth is estimated at $35 million.