With a full name Jack Hody Johnson, Jack Johnson is an American songwriter, musician, and record producer. He is also a multi-instrumentalist, environmentalist, documentary film-maker, and once, a professional surfer. Johnson is primarily known for his soft rock and acoustic genres. Jack became a popular musician with the song ‘Rodeo Clowns’ in 1999. In addition, he released his debut album “Brushfire Fairytales” in 2001 which became a commercial success. Jack Johnson is the singer who held number one at ‘US Billboard 200’ four times for his albums ‘Sleep Through the Static’, ‘To the Sea,’ and ‘Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George and From Here to Now to You’. He was inspired by Bob Dylan, Radiohead, Otis Redding, The Beatles, Bob Marley, and various other musicians. In 1998, Jack showed up in an episode of the talk show ‘Late Show with David Letterman’ which was his first TV Show.
As an environmentalist, he has worked with several NGOs. He and his wife Kim Johnson have started Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation and the Kokua Hawaii Foundation.
Jack Johnson has won two Grammy Awards nominations and achieved the ‘Humanitarian Award,’ ‘Brit best international male solo artist award,’ and ‘National conservation achievement award.’
Regarding his social sites, Jack Johnson is active on Instagram as @jackjohnson with over 796K followers till 26th April 2020. Similarly, he is active in twitter as @jackjohnson with over 351.1K followers and has a Facebook page Jack Johnson having more than 5 million. Besides, he has his own Youtube channel @jackjohnsonmusic with over 524K subscribers.
Where is Jack Johnson From?
Born on May 18, 1975, Jack Johnson was born and raised on the North Shore of Oahu, Hawai of the United States. He was the youngest child of his parents Patti and Jeff Johnson. His father was a well-known surfer. Being influenced by his father, he started surfing just at the age of 5. He used to surf 4-5 hours a day as he was very passionate regarding surfing. However, his elder brother, Trent was a member of a music band due to which he started to grow his interests in music too. He learned to play guitar when he was 8 years old and started his songwriting at the age of 12.
Jack Johnson completed his high school study from Kahuku High School in Oahu. By then, he had become a professional surfer. However, he met with a surfing accident at the age of 17 which changed his whole life completely. Later on, he graduated with a degree in Film Studies in 1997 from the University of California at Santa Barbara.
Jack Johnson Career Timeline
- Little Jack Johnson was passionate about surfing in his childhood which led him to be a professional surfer. At the age of 17, he created the history when he became the youngest surfer to reach in the finals of ‘Pipeline Masters,’ Oahu. But he could not hold the title as he met with a surfing accident. Jack took that accident as his turning point in life. He then quit surfing and focused on music.
- In 1999, Jack wrote and provided vocals for the song ‘Rodeo Clowns’ and got his breakthrough in G. Love’s album ‘Philadelphonic’. The same year he debuted as an actor in the movie ‘Nice Guys Sleep Alone’.
- In 2000, his debut documentary film ‘Thicker Than Water’ was released in which he played himself.
- In 2001, he launched his debut album titled ‘Brushfire Fairytales’ worldwide, and guess what, it smashed the records and was super hit resulting in Johnson gaining more popularity.
- In 2002, he directed yet another documentary film titled ‘The September Session’ playing the lead role again.
- By the end of 2003, he started his own recording studio ‘Brushfire Records’. In the same year, jack released his second studio album ‘On and On’ on May 6.
- By 2004, Jack’s third documentary film ‘A Brokedown Melody’ was released.
- Likewise, Jack’s third album ‘In Between Dreams’ was released on March 1, 2005.
- On February 7, 2006, Johnson released a soundtrack album Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George which became the number one selling children’s album topping the US Billboard 200 music chart.
- Jack began working on his fourth album ‘Sleep Through the Static’ on 1st February 2008.
- Johnson’s new soundtrack album was released on February 1, 2008, and which was followed by a world tour.
- On October 27, 2009, a live album and DVD of Johnson’s 2008 world tour, entitled En Concert, was released.
- On February 9, 2010, Johnson released his fifth studio album, ‘Man of the World’.
- On April 6, 2010, the first single from ‘To the Sea’: “You and Your Heart” was released which was placed number one on ‘US Billboard Triple A’.
- On September 17, 2013, Johnson released his sixth album ‘From Here to Now to You’ with his band which created critical applause.
- On September 8, 2017, Johnson released his seventh studio album ‘All the Light Above It Too’, which peaked at number 13 on the Billboard chart’s “Artist 100”.
- In July 2018, Johnson released his greatest hit album “Jack Johnson: The Essentials” in Japan.
Jack Johnson Awards and Achievements
Throughout his career, Jack Johnson has been nominated and has won several awards.
- At the start of his career, he won the ‘ESPN Film Festival Adobe Highlight Award’ in 2000 and the ‘ESPN Surfing’s Music Artist of the Year’ in 2001 and 2002.
- In 2003, Jack Johnson won the ‘ASCAP Pop Music Award’ for the ‘ASCAP College Vanguard Award’.
- In 2006, Jack Johnson received two ‘Grammy Award’ nominations for ‘Best Male Pop Vocal Performance’ and ‘Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals’, and the same year he won the ‘Brit Best International Male Solo Artist Award’.
- In 2006, Jack Johnson was nominated for the ‘International Pop/Rock Male Artist of the Year’ for ‘Best Male Video’ and ‘Meteor Ireland Music Awards’ for ‘Best International Male’.
- He received three ‘ECHO Awards’ in 2006, 2007, and 2009 for ‘International Pop/Rock Male Artist of the Year’.
- In 2010, he received the ‘Humanitarian Award’ at the ‘Billboard Touring Awards’.
- In 2012, he was awarded by the ‘National Conservation Achievement Award in Communications’ by the ‘National Wildlife Foundation (NWF)’
Who is Jack Johnson Married to?
Jack Johnson is married to Kim Johnson (teacher) whom he had met in his college days. After dating for 3-4 years, the couple got married on 22nd July 2000. They have three children together: a girl and two boys. They are living happily on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.
Jack Johnson founded Kokua Hawaii Foundation’ in 2003 and then started another foundation with his wife ‘Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation’ in 2008 which creates awareness about the environment and spreads education in music and art worldwide.
What is Jack Johnson Net Worth?
As a successful singer and songwriter, he has earned the entire money through his music career. Other than the singing and song-writing, he has also made money being a film-maker and a record producer. As of 2020, Jack Johnson is said to have an estimated net worth of $25 million.
How Tall is Jack Johnson?
As of 2020, Jack Johnson is 44 years old. He stands at a height of 5 ft. 11 inches and weighs 77kg. He has got brown curly hair and brown eyes. His body type is average. His body measurement includes Chest – 41 in or 104 cm, Arms / Biceps – 14.5 in or 37 cm, and Waist – 32 in or 81 cm. Information regarding his dress size and shoe size is not available. He has a strong jawline.