Jerome Agyenim Boateng, excellently known as Jerome Boateng is a German professional footballer who plays as a center-back for Ligue 1 club Lyon and the Germany national team. He began his professional career in 2006 with Hertha BSC II and made his international debut for Germany in 2009. He helped lead Germany to a World Cup title in 2014. Jerome started his youth career at Tennis Borussia Berlin before joining Hertha BSC II’s youth system in 2002 whereas he was also a member of Germany’s 2010 World Cup team that finished in third place. He is also well recognized for being a very strong and powerful center-back with extraordinary physical strength and athleticism. He has since accumulated over 70 caps and represented Germany at UEFA Euro 2012, Euro 2016, 2010 World Cup, 2014 World Cup, and 2018 World Cup. Moreover, Boateng joined French side Lyon on a free transfer on 1st September 2021.
Jerome Boateng convicted of assault
Jerome Boateng was found guilty of domestic violence against his former partner and ordered to pay her 1.8 million euros ($21.2 million) on Thursday. It was the highest possible financial damages that could be imposed by the Munich District Court. The public prosecutor had been looking for a suspended jail sentence of one and a half years and a fine of 1.5 million euros ($17.7 million). Prosecutor Stefanie Eckert told the court that Boateng’s former partner Sherin Senler was a victim of domestic violence but also that Boateng was a victim of their mutually toxic relationship.
Boateng, who appeared at the court wearing a dark blue suit and a white shirt, shook his head at times as Senler gave evidence to the court. His defense lawyer, Kai Walden, previously said his client was disputing the allegations. Boateng suggested Senler was bringing this case against him to boost her chances of success in a dispute over their children’s custody. Senler rejected the suggestion.
- Being a German professional footballer.
- For playing as a center-back for Ligue 1 club Lyon and the Germany national team.
What is Jerome Boateng Real Name?
Jerome Boateng stepped for the very first time into the world on 3rd September 1988 in Berlin, West Germany. He was born with the real name of Jerome Agyenim Boateng in a Christian religious family. He is of German nationality and belongs to mixed ethnicity as he is of Ghanaian descent on his father’s side while he has German ancestry on his mother’s side. Jerome’s present age is 33 which he celebrated back in 2020 and he will be celebrating his 34th birthday in the coming September of 2021. Thus, his zodiac sign is Virgo and his race is black. He is the son of his father, Prince Boateng, and his mother, Martina Boateng. He has three siblings named Kevin-Prince Boateng (Older Half-Brother), Avelina Boateng (Sister), George Boateng (Older Brother).
What does Jerome Boateng do for a living?
- Jerome Boateng kicks off his football career with the youth team of Tennis Borussia Berlin, before joining Hertha BSC in 2002 where he scored one goal in nine appearances in the 2005-2006 season and made 15 appearances in the 2006-2007 season after which he won a call-up to the first-team squad on 31st January 2007.
- Then, he made his debut against Hannover 96 in the AWD-Arena, during week 19 of the 2006-2007 Bundesliga season and became a first-team regular, despite being barely 18 years of age.
- He finished the 2006-2007 season with 11 appearances for the first team and was linked with a move to Hamburger SV in the summer of 2007.
- Jerome moved to Hamburg on 22nd August 2007 for a fee said to be around €1.1 million where he had made 37 appearances during the 2007-2008 season and 35 appearances during the 2008-2009 season.
- He broke into the German national side after impressing for Hamburg in the 2009-2010 season, earning himself a place in the squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- He finished the 2009-2010 season with a goal in 41 appearances.
- English Premier League club Manchester City confirmed the transfer of Boateng to the English club for £10.4 million on a five-year deal on 5th June 2010, where he wore his favored number 17 shirt.
- He made his City debut in a pre-season friendly against Valencia for the first half whereas he made his debut for Manchester City with a substitute appearance during a 1-0 victory against Chelsea on 25th September 2010.
- He followed this with a first competitive start in a 1-1 Europa League draw with Juventus, playing at right-back as well as he won the 2010-2011 FA Cup despite not being a member of the matchday squad for the final.
- Bayern confirmed the transfer of Jerome to the German club for a fee of €13.5 million on a four-year deal on 14th July 2011 where he was given the same number 17 shirt.
- On 27th July 2011, he made his debut as a second-half substitute for Rafinha during the 2011 Audi Cup in a match against Milan whereas his Bundesliga debut for Bayern came in a 0-1 home defeat against Borussia Monchengladbach, on 6th August.
- He made 48 appearances during the 2011-2012 season and he was a regular member of the Bayern team that won a treble of the Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal, and Champions League during the 2012-2013 season.
- He scored his first Bundesliga goal with a header from Phillip Lahm’s cross on 9th March 2013 and netted a second on 13th April, an acrobatic half-volley to open a 5-0 home win over 1. FC Nurnberg, after Bayern had already won the league title. He scored two goals in 40 appearances during the 2012-2013 season.
- Badly, he picked up a red card against former club Manchester City on 2nd October 2013 which resulted in a one-match ban in the Champions League.
- Later, he extended his contract with Bayern on 11th December, which will keep him at the club until 2018.
- Boateng scored a goal in 43 appearances during the 2013-2014 season.
- He scored his first European goal for Bayern in the 2014-2015 Champions League season with a strike which was the only goal in the opening group stage match against his former club Manchester City on 17th September 2014.
- On 3rd February 2015, he picked up a red card against Schalke 04 which resulted in a three-match ban in the Bundesliga however he scored in a 7-0 Champions League round of 16 wins against Shakhtar Donetsk on 11th March 2015, and in a 6-1 quarter-final win over Porto on 21st April.
- He finished the 2014-2015 season with three goals in 44 appearances.
- Jerome began the 2015-2016 season by playing in the German Super Cup but he picked up a red card against 1899 Hoffenheim on 22nd August 2015.
- He then signed a new contract with Bayern on 18th December, keeping him at the club until 2021, and finished the 2015-2016 season with 31 appearances.
- Head coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed on 14th April 2017 that Jerome was ruled out of the away match in the league against Bayer Leverkusen due to an adductor problem however he made his return on 20th May 2017. He finished the 2016-2017 season with 21 appearances.
- He scored a header in a 2-1 win on 21st December 2017 as his side knocked their fierce rival Borussia Dortmund out of the DFB-Pokal during the round of 16 matches.
- He scored another header in the league match on 27th January 2018 and his first league goal since November 2013 as his side made a come back from two-goal behind to finish the game with a 5-2 victory over 1899 Hoffenheim.
- He made his 250th appearance for the club in a 6-0 victory over Hamburg on 10th March whereas, on 11th April, Boateng, and his teammate Thomas Muller made their 100th European appearance in the Champions League match against Sevilla as the game finished 0-0 draw.
- He finished the 2017-2018 season with two goals in 31 appearances.
- He won his seventh consecutive Bundesliga title as Bayern finished two points above Dortmund with 78 points on 18th May 2019 and also won his fourth DFB-Pokal as Bayern defeated RB Leipzig 3-0 in the 2019 DFB-Pokal Final. He finished the 2018-2019 season without scoring in 28 appearances.
- Jerome made his 300th appearance for Bayern in a match against Werder Bremen on 14th December 2019 and regained his place in the starting XI.
- He scored his first goal of the season in a 6-2 away win over Red Bull Salzburg in the Champions League on 3rd November 2020 whereas his sporting director Hasan Salihamidziz stated on April 2021 that his contract would expire in the summer and would not be extended.
- Jerome joined French side Lyon on a free transfer on 1st September 2021. He signed a contract until 30th June 2023.
- Jerome Boateng has played for the German under-17 and under-19 national teams as he was called up to the German under-19 squad by coach Frank Engel on 5th July 2007 for the 2007 UEFA European Under-19 Championship held in Austria, from 16th July until 27 July.
- As well, he is a former Germany under-21 international and won with the team the 2009 UEFA European Under-21 Championship
- On 10th October 2009, he made his debut with the Germany senior team against Russia, becoming the first German international to get sent off on his debut; he received a second booking in the second half.
- He was later included in Joachim Low’s final 23-man squad for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
- He played for Germany against his half-brother on 23rd June 2010; Kevin-Prince who represents Ghana. The game ended in a 1-0 victory for Germany which was the first time that two brothers played on opposite teams at the FIFA World Cup.
- He began his second straight game as Germany beat England 4-1, and Argentina 4-0 in the quarter-final, as well as the 1-0 loss to Spain in the semi-final.
- He was also included in Germany’s 23-man squad for Euro 2012 as he played at right-back and featured in four of their five matches as the nation reached the semi-final, but was eliminated by Italy.
- Jerome and his brother played against each other again four years later during the next World Cup as well as Boateng played the full match for Germany in their record-breaking 7-1 semi-final defeat of Brazil on 8th July 2014.
- He won the 2014 World Cup with Germany after they defeated Argentina 1-0 in the final on 13th July 2014 whereas he also played a central role in Germany’s victory in the final.
- He made a vital goal-line clearance which denied Ukraine to score a goal as the match ended in a 2-0 victory for the Germans in their first group stage match on 13th June 2016.
- He scored his first international goal in the round of 16 matches against Slovakia on 26th June, opening the scoring with a long-range volley in the 3-0 victory.
- He was subbed off in the second half as he suffered a thigh muscle injury during the semi-final match against France and the match ended 2-0 loss for Germany on 8th July.
- On 4th June 2018, Jerome was named in Joachim Low’s final 23-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup however he was sent off after receiving a second yellow card during their second group stage match against Sweden on 23rd June, but that didn’t stop Germany winning the game with 2-1 victory.
- Also, he became the first German player to be sent off in a World Cup match since Miroslav Klose against Serbia in the 2010 World Cup.
- Later he was eliminated after Germany suffered a 0-2 shock defeat to South Korea, thus Germany was eliminated from the tournament.
- National team coach Joachim Low confirmed on 5th March 2019 that he would plan without Boateng for the foreseeable future.
Awards and Achievements
- Bundesliga: 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019, 2019-2020, 2020-2021
- DFB-Pokal: 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2015-2016, 2018-2019, 2019-2020
- DFL-Supercup: 2012, 2020
- UEFA Champions League: 2012-2013, 2019-2020
- UEFA Super Cup: 2013, 2020
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2013, 2020
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship: 2009
- Fritz-Walter-Medal U19 Bronze Medal 2007
- Bundesliga Team of the Season: 2014-2015, 2015-2016
- UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament: 2016
- Germany Footballer of the year: 2015-2016
- UEFA Team of the Year: 2016
- Olympique Lyonnais on 31/08/2021
- Bayern Munchen on 14/07/2011 for 13.5M €
- Manchester City on 01/07/2010 for 12.5M €
- Hamburger SV on 21/08/2007 for 1.1M €
- Hertha BSC on 01/01/2007 From Hertha BSC II
Is Jerome Boateng Married?
Jerome Boateng is an unmarried guy. He was previously in a long-term relationship with Sherin Senler, with whom he has twin daughters. The couple separated for a couple of years but reunited in November 2013, to only have an on-off relationship. Boateng allegedly had an affair with model Gina-Lisa Lohfink, which both Boateng and Lohfink have denied. He had a son in 2015. Later he started a relationship with Polish-born model Kasia Lenhardt in 2019 however the pair’s relationship had already become publicly sour, with Jerome accusing the model of sabotaging a previous relationship and blackmailing him to stay with her.
On 10th February, one week after the confirmed breakup, Lenhardt was found dead in an apartment in Berlin, with investigators believing the cause of death to be suicide. Jerome, who was in Qatar playing in the FIFA Club World Cup with Bayern Munich at the time, was then confirmed to have departed the country due to personal reasons by the club. Additionally, in a German court in Munich on 9th September 2021, Jerome was found guilty of assaulting his ex-girlfriend, identified as Sherin S., while on holiday in the Caribbean in 2018 and was ordered to pay a fine of €1.8 million (£1.5 million). Talking about his sexual orientation, he is straight.
How much is Jerome Boateng Net Worth?
Jerome Boateng has a net worth of $25 million as of 2021. He earns a salary of around £210,000 per week, £10,920,000 per year while playing for FC Bayern Munchen as a D (C). His other source of earning is from his endorsement deals with Harman and JBL headphones and audio products. He makes over $3 million annually from his endorsements deals. His current market value is €8.50m as of 9th June 2021 whereas his highest market value was €45.00m as of 22nd July 2016. In addition, his major source of income is his football career.
What is the Height of Jerome Boateng?
Jerome Boateng stands at a tall height of 6 ft 3½ in or 192 cm with 90 kg or 198½ lbs of body weight. He has black hair and dark brown eyes color. His towering height, tattoos, and muscular body have attracted a lot of people to him. Jerome has an athletic body build with 44-16-34 inches of body measurement.