Jill Biden is an American educator best known as the wife of Joe Biden, the 46th president to be declared on January 20, 2021, following which Jill will be holding the position of “First Lady of US” succeeding Melaine Trump. Jill already had served the position of the second lady of the United States back in 2009 for over 8 years till 2017 while her husband Joe was serving as the vice-president of the US, becoming the first second lady to hold a paying job.
Not only she is known for her governmental positions but also her intelligence and personality as she even is a well-educated professor who worked as an English and writing instructor at Delaware Technical & Community College for 15 years from 1993 till 2008.
Jill also has written books, “Don’t Forget, God, Bless Our Troops”(2012) and “Where the Light Enters: Building a Family, Discovering Myself”(2019). She currently serves as the founder of the Biden Breast Health Initiative non-profit organization, co-founder of the Book Buddies program, co-founder of the Biden Foundation, and co-founder of Joining Forces with Michelle Obama.
She is quite active on social media sites with over 2 million followers on Twitter: @DrBiden.
What is Jill Biden Famous for?
- Famous as the wife of Joe Biden.
- Known as the former second lady and to be the First Lady of the US.
Joe Biden Biography
Where was Jill Biden Born?
Jill Biden was born on June 3, 1951, in Hammonton, New Jersey, United States. Her birth name is Jill Tracy Jacobs. Her nationality is American. Biden belongs to Italian American ethnicity while Gemini is her zodiac sign.
Jill Biden was born as the eldest daughter to her parents; father, Donald Carl Jacobs(1927–1999) and mother, Bonny Jean Jacobs(1930–2008). Her father, Donald worked as a bank teller and U.S. Navy signalman during World War II later serving as the head of a savings and loan institution in the Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia while her mother, Bonny was a homemaker.
She lived for a while in Hatboro, Pennsylvania, later moved to Willow Grove, where she along with her four younger sisters – Jan, Bonny, Kelly, and Kim spent most of their childhood. His family name had originally been Giacoppo or Giacoppa before her Sicilian grandfather changed it.
Growing up in the Philadelphia area, Jill developed a lifelong interest in rooting for Philadelphia sports teams and also a partial Philadelphia accent. She always intended to have her own career that by the age of 15 she began working as a waitress in Ocean City, New Jersey.
Biden attended Upper Moreland High School where she was a good student and loved English classes. After graduating in 1969, Jill got enrolled at Brandywine Junior College in Pennsylvania for one semester to study fashion merchandising. Later, Jill graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Delaware in 1975.
In 1987, Biden received her second graduate degree, a Master of Arts in English from Villanova University. Later, in January 2007, at age 55, she received a Doctor of Education(Ed.D.) in educational leadership from the University of Delaware.
Jill Biden’s Career Highlights
- Jill Biden began her career initially getting employed as a substitute teacher in the Wilmington school system.
- She then taught high school English full-time for a year at St. Mark’s High School in Wilmington.
- During the time, she spent five months working in Biden’s Senate office.
- Even after getting married, Jill continued to teach and worked on a master’s degree at West Chester State College, taking one course per semester.
- She also worked as a reading specialist and teacher to emotionally disabled students.
- She taught in the adolescent program at the Rockford Center psychiatric hospital for five years in the 1980s.
- She taught for three years at Claymont High School. All together, Jill spent 13 years of her life teaching in public high school.
- Biden was also an instructor and teacher of English composition and remedial writing at the Stanton/Wilmington campus of Delaware Technical & Community College from 1993 till 2008.
- Biden is also president of the “Biden Breast Health Initiative” which was formed in 1993.
- In 2007, she helped to find “Book Buddies” helping to provide books for low-income children.
- During the 2008 presidential campaign, Biden supported her husband, Joe who was Barack Obama’s running mate, campaigning over the long weekend.
- The same year after the election, Jill became the second lady of the US and also the first second lady to hold a paying job.
- In April 2011, Biden and Michelle Obama founded a national initiative, “Joining Forces”.
- In June 2012, she published a children’s book titled “Don’t Forget, God, Bless Our Troops”. The book is based on her stepson Beau’s deployment.
- Following the re-election of Obama and her husband on November 6, 2012, Biden began a second term as the second lady.
- She was present at her husband’s side in the Rose Garden on October 21, 2015, when Joe announced that he wouldn’t run for the 2016 presidential election.
- In May 2019, her memoir, “Where the Light Enters: Building a Family, Discovering Myself” was published.
- Jill was a key participant in Joe’s decision-making process in running for the 2020 presidential election.
- Biden is set to become the First Lady of the United States on January 20, 2021.
Jill Biden’s Husband
Jill Biden has been twice to date. Her first marriage was with a former college football player, Bill Stevenson. Jill was just starting her career when the couple got married in 1970 and she became known as Jill Stevenson. Within a couple of years, he opened the Stone Balloon in Newark, Delaware, near the University of Delaware.
After living together for almost 4 years, the couple separated and got divorced in 1974.
Just a year later, in 1975, Jill met Joe Biden while he was a senator on a blind date. The date was set up by Joe’s brother Frank, who had known her in college as Joe himself has never seen her life except for seeing her photograph in a local advertisement. Even though Joe was nine years older than her, she was impressed by his more formal appearance and manners and even told her mother saying, “I finally met a gentleman”.
Two years later of dating, the couple got married on June 17, 1977, at the Chapel at the United Nations in New York City by a Catholic priest. This was four and a half years after Joe’s first wife, Neilla Hunter, and infant daughter died in a motor vehicle accident.
Joe had proposed to Jill several times before she accepted to get married, hesitant to commit to raising his two young sons; Beau and Hunter, who had survived the accident. They welcomed their only daughter named Ashley in 1981, after which Jill stopped working for two years while raising the three children.
Ashley is currently working as a social worker and staffer at the Delaware Department of Services for Children, Youth, and Their Families.
Jill Biden’s Net Worth
Jill Biden has quite good earnings from her profession as an educator, professor, and also as the First Lady of the US. Having her career started in the 1970s, Biden has managed to become one of the influential women with her works even after becoming the Second Lady of the US back in 2008 in her 30 years long career.
Soon, Jill will be the First Lady of the US following her husband, Joe’s win in the 2020 presidential election. With all of her earnings, Jill has an estimated net worth of $15 million as of 2020. Her salary for being a teacher was close to $100,000.
Back in June 2017, the couple bought a $2.7 million worth off-the-water vacation home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, near Cape Henlopen State Park. They even leased a $4 million mansion in McLean, Virginia, paying $20,000 a month. By 2019, the couple reported some $15 million in income since leaving the vice presidency, including $700,000 in speaking engagements for herself.
Jill Biden’s Height
Jill Biden is a beautiful woman in her late-60s. She has a well maintained slim and healthy body physique which she maintained with her perfect balanced diet. She stands tall with a height of 5ft 6inches and weighs around 55kg. She has a fair complexion with blonde hair and a pair of blue eyes.