John David McAfee famed as John McAfee was a British-American computer programmer and businessman who founded the software company McAfee Associates in 1987 and ran it until 1994 when he resigned from the company. The company was purchased by Intel in 2011, though it still bears the McAfee brand name. He had also established different organizations like Tribal Voice and QuorumEx. What’s more, he also maintained a cryptographic money business. He began his profession as a software engineer for NASA’s Institute for Space Studies. He had also worked at a few organizations like Univac, Xerox, and Lockheed. He was also a political activist. He unsuccessfully sought the Libertarian Party nomination for President of the United States in 2016 and 2020. He was found dead on 23rd June 2021 in a Barcelona prison on Wednesday due to an apparent suicide in a prison cell. It came just hours after a Spanish court-approved McAfee’s extradition to the US. He faced tax-related charges that could have landed him in prison for 30 years.
John McAfee Cause of Death; Found Dead in Barcelona Prison
On 23rd June 2021, John McAfee was found dead in his Barcelona prison cell, a few hours after the Spanish National Court ordered his extradition to the United States on criminal charges filed by the US Justice Department’s tax division. John McAfee, the pioneer creator of popular computer antivirus software, has died behind bars in a Spanish prison. He was found dead Wednesday afternoon in his cell at Brians 2 prison in Barcelona, and officials said the initial investigation points to a suicide, the Catalan justice department said. Reports indicate he died by suicide. He dies at 75. It came just hours after a Spanish court-approved McAfee’s extradition to the United States, where he is wanted on tax-related criminal charges that carry a prison sentence of up to 30 years. His death follows a wild and controversial life full of legal troubles and foreign adventures, including allegations that McAfee murdered his American neighbor in Belize, which was never proven in criminal court. ” At the end of 2018, I announced that I would run again and I also announced that I would attack the IRS and its corruption, and two months later the IRS filed charges against me, ” he told the Spanish High Court during the first hearing of his extradition trial. “I think the charges are politically motivated.”
- Being a British-American computer programmer and businessman.
- For founding the software company, McAfee Associates in 1987.
Where was John McAfee from?
John McAfee was born with the birth name of John David McAfee on 18th September 1945, in Cinderford, Gloucestershire, the United Kingdom. He was born to an English mother and an American father. Thus, his ethnic background was Mixed and his nationality was British-American. His father was serving as a soldier in World War II when he met his mother. Later, his father worked as a road surveyor. His parents moved to Roanoke, Virginia, when he was young where he spent his childhood. He faced a lot of difficulties when he grew up as his father was an abusive alcoholic. His father shot himself dead when John was 15. Due to this, he started drinking and taking drugs. He followed the Christianity religion and his Zodiac sign was Virgo. He lastly celebrated his 75th birthday with his dear ones.
About his educational qualification, John obtained his bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Roanoke College in the year 1967. He was later accepted into the Northeast State Louisiana State College for his Ph.D. in mathematics but his degree was terminated because of his unacceptable sexual behavior.
John McAfee Lifestory and Career
- Initially, John started his career as a programmer being employed by NASA’s Institute for Space Studies in New York City from the year 1968 to 1970.
- He went to Univac as a software designer, and later to Xerox as an operating system architect.
- He later joined Computer Sciences Corporation as a software consultant in 1978.
- From 1980 to 1982, he worked for consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton.
- During the 1980s, he began developing software to combat viruses.
- He then founded McAfee Associates, an anti-computer virus company in 1987 which was incorporated in Delaware in 1992.
- In 1994, McAfee Associates went public and he sold his remaining stake in the company.
- Intel later acquired McAfee in August 2010.
- He also founded Tribal Voice, which developed one of the first instant messaging programs, “PowWow”.
- He invested in and joined the board of directors of Zone Labs, makers of firewall software in 2000 prior to its acquisition by Check Point Software in 2003.
- He started the company QuorumEx, headquartered in Belize, which aimed to produce herbal antibiotics that disrupt quorum sensing in bacteria. It was in February 2010.
- He also uploaded a parody video titled How to Uninstall McAfee Antivirus onto his YouTube channel in June 2013.
- He started the company Future Tense Central, which aimed to produce a secure computer network device called the D-Central in 2013.
- In January 2016, he became the chief evangelist for security startup Everykey.
- He received media attention by publicly volunteering to decrypt the iPhone used by the San Bernardino shooters in February 2016.
- He was appointed chief executive chairman and CEO of MGT Capital Investments, a technology holding company in May 2016.
- He also moved MGT into the mining of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
- On 13th August 2018, he took the position of CEO with Luxcore, a cryptocurrency company focused on enterprise solutions.
- Regarding his political career, he was a libertarian, advocating the decriminalization of cannabis, an end to the war on drugs, non-interventionism in foreign policy, a free-market economy that does not redistribute wealth, and upholding free trade.
- He announced on 8th September 2015 stating that he would seek the office of President of the United States in the 2016 presidential election, as the candidate of a newly formed political party called the Cyber Party.
- He was the runner-up in the primaries but came in third at the 2016 Libertarian National Convention.
- He announced on June 3, 2018, via Twitter that he would run for president again in 2020. His main campaign issue was to promote the use of cryptocurrencies.
- Also, he defended Communist revolutionary Che Guevara on Twitter, putting himself at odds with the Libertarian Party, with Libertarian National Committee chairman Nicholas Sarwark saying, “I hear very little buzz about McAfee this time around … making a defense of Che Guevara from Cuba may ingratiate him with the Cuban government, but it didn’t resonate well with Libertarians.”
- He referred to himself as being a “prime target” of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.
- In July 2017, he even wrote on Twitter that he predicted that the price of one bitcoin would jump to $500,000 within three years, and that “If not, I will eat my own dick on national television.” In July 2019, he continued to defend a prediction of $1 million by the end of 2020.
- As of January 2020, however, he stated on Twitter that his previous predictions were simply “A ruse to onboard new users”, and that bitcoin had limited potential because it was “an ancient technology”.
Legal Issues and Arrest
- His property in Orange Walk Town, Belize, was raided by the Gang Suppression Unit of the Belize Police Department on 30th April 2012. At that time, he was in bed with a girlfriend. A GSU press release stated that He was arrested for unlicensed drug manufacturing and possession of an unlicensed weapon. He was then released without charge.
- Later, Belize police spokesman, Raphael Martinez, confirmed in 2012 stating that he was neither convicted nor charged, only suspected.
- In January 2014, McAfee in Canada claimed that when the Belizean government raided his property, it seized his assets and that his house later burned down under suspicious circumstances.
- He was then arrested in Henderson County, Tennessee, on one count of driving under the influence and one count of possession of a firearm while intoxicated on 2nd August 2015.
- He alongside the members of his entourage were arrested while his yacht was docked at Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, on suspicion of carrying high-caliber weapons and ammunition in July 2019.
- He fabricated a hoax that he was arrested in Norway during the COVID-19 pandemic on 11th August 2020. He also posted a picture of himself to Twitter with a bruised eye, claiming that it occurred during this arrest.
- He was arrested for illegally entering Guatemala on 5th December 2012. On 12th December 12, 2012, he was released from detention in Guatemala and deported to the United States.
- He was arrested in Spain at the request of the U.S. Department of Justice for tax evasion on 5th October 2020.
- On 6th October 2020, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filed a complaint alleging that McAfee had fraudulently promoted certain ICOs.
- On 5th March 2021, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York announced that they had formally indicted McAfee and an executive adviser for allegedly fraudulently promoting certain cryptocurrencies and performing pump and dump schemes.
- On 23rd June 2021, the Spanish National Court authorized the extradition of McAfee to the United States, for criminal charges in Tennessee. McAfee died a few hours later.
Who was John McAfee married to?
During his lifetime, John McAfee married twice. Firstly, he married his wife, Judy McAfee who left him in the early 1980s unable to cope with his drug addiction and drinking problems. He then married Janice Dyson in the year 2013. Dyson is more than 30 years junior. He originally took up residence in Portland, Oregon, in 2013. As of 2015, he resided in Lexington, Tennessee. Back then, he was involved with several other women as well. His past relationship with former teenage prostitute Amy Emshwiller received considerable media coverage. However, the duo was living a happy life prior to his death. Whеn аѕkеd аbоut hаvіng сhіldrеn, hе gоt ехсіtеd аnd hаѕ gіvеn hіѕ rерlу оvеr а twееt, “47 bіоlоgісаl сhіldrеn.” His sexual orientation was straight and he was not gay.
How much is John McAfee Net Worth?
Being a former CEO of the anti-virus software company McAfee, John’s net worth is estimated to have $4 Million as of 2021. In August 2009, The New York Times reported that McAfee’s personal fortune had declined to $4 million from a peak of $100 million due to the effect of the financial crisis of 2007-2008 on his investments. He made millions from the sale of his McAfee antivirus software company. As he was an entrepreneur, he does not require any salary. He had got many hacking threats, so he always kept changing his IP addresses. He had been in the lock-up several times. Не was іnvоlvеd wіth а lоt оf соurt саѕеѕ bесаuѕе оf hіѕ сhаngіng іdеntіtу. Не сеrtаіnlу took tоо mаnу rіѕkѕ tо bесоmе а ѕuссеѕѕful еntrерrеnеur. He was living a lavish lifestyle.
How tall is John McAfee?
Handsome and charming man, John McAfee had a tall height of 6 ft or 183 cm. His body weight consists of 79 Kg or 174 lbs. His eye color was dark brown and his hair was blonde. His chest size was 40 in, his waist size was 30 in and his hips size was 35 in. His biceps size was 14 in and he used to wear the shoe size of 8 US. On 6th December 2012, Reuters and ABC News reported that he had two minor heart attacks in a Guatemalan detention center and was hospitalized which he later revealed that he had faked the heart attacks.