John Ryder is a versatile British professional boxer who is well recognized for holding the WBA interim super-middleweight title in 2019. He has been challenged twice for the British middleweight title in 2013 and 2015 at the regional level, and once for the British super-middleweight title in 2017. He fought for Angel Amateur Boxing Club in his birthplace of Islington, winning 30 fights out of 35. As well, John won his first regional championship the vacant WBO Inter-Continental middleweight title on 11th October 2014, defeating Theophilus Tetteh via fifth-round TKO. Being a famous boxer, Ryder is also active in social media as he has gained more than 19.9k followers on his Instagram and over 23.1K followers on Twitter.
John Ryder shocks two-time world champion, Daniel Jacobs
John Ryder came from so far behind to retrieve the biggest win of his career against fading American star Daniel Jacobs that even some of his fellow Londoners found the split decision in his favor hard to believe. Victory looked beyond Ryder as he lost the first six rounds and many on social media doubted the verdict. The mountain he had to climb in the second half of a thrilling fight was way more daunting than the hill from his Islington home to neighboring Alexandra Palace. It took a heroic effort by Ryder and two judges thought he just scrambled to the summit by 115 points to 113, while the third scored it by the same margin in reverse.
Home-town robbery cried the critics. A draw would probably have been a fair result on the night. But given memories of how Ryder felt hard done by when narrowly adjudged the loser as he challenged Callum Smith in his only world title fight, this one seems more a sympathy vote than grand larceny. Ryder hopes he will be rewarded with an enriching bid for one of the world’s super-middleweight belts worn by Canelo Alvarez. But while Saturday night was some kind of WBA title eliminator it was not a final one and Alvarez has bigger fish to fry this year. Ryder pulled off the improbable against former two-time middleweight champion Jacobs, but Canelo would represent the impossible.
What is John Ryder Famous For?
- Being a British professional boxer.
- For holding the WBA interim super-middleweight title.
Where is John Ryder from?
John Ryder was born on 19th July 1988 in Islington, London, United Kingdom. He holds British nationality and came from British-white ethnic background. Likewise, his religion is Christian and his race is white. John has celebrated his 33rd birthday as of 2021 and as per his birthdate, his star sign is Cancer. He has not shared any details regarding his parents and educational qualification.
What does John Ryder do for a living?
- John Ryder kicks off his career fighting for Angel Amateur Boxing Club in his birthplace of Islington, winning 30 fights out of 35 as an amateur.
- Then he turned professional on 10th September 2010, scoring a first-round technical knockout (TKO) against Ben Deghani after which he faced fellow undefeated prospect, Billy Joe Saunders, for his British and Commonwealth middleweight titles on 21st September 2013, losing a close unanimous decision (UD) with scores of 115-113, 115-113 and 115–114 for Saunders.
- On 11th October 2014, he won his first regional championship the vacant WBO Inter-Continental middleweight title defeating Theophilus Tetteh via fifth-round TKO. He defended this title once, against Billi Facundo Godoy with a tenth-round TKO.
- He bounced back on 30th January 2016, winning his second regional championship the vacant WBA International middleweight title with a UD over Sergey Khomitsky.
- On 24th September 2016, he defended his WBA International middleweight title against Jack Arnfield losing by UD over twelve rounds as well as he rebounded in his next fight, defeating Adam Etches by UD to win the IBF International super-middleweight title.
- Later he moved up to super-middleweight to face Rocky Fielding for the British title but lost on a controversial split decision (SD)on 22nd April 2017.
- Also, he faced domestic rival Jamie Cox at The O2 Arena on the undercard of the rematch between David Haye and Tony Bellew on 5th May 2018 and faced undefeated Russian challenger Andrey Sirotkin.
- Ryder beat Bilal Akkawy by TKO in the third round on the Canelo Alvarez vs. Daniel Jacobs card in Las Vegas in May 2019 to win the vacant WBA interim super-middleweight title and put himself in line to challenge Callum Smith for the WBA (Super) and Ring magazine super-middleweight titles.
- He also fought Callum Smith for the super-middleweight titles in November 2019, losing via UD as the judges scored the fight 117-111 and 116-112 twice in favor of Smith, with some media outlets describing the scores as “controversial”.
Is John Ryder Married?
John Ryder is a married boxer. He and his lovely wife have been married for quite some time now. He has not however spoken very daringly and openly about his love life, but he definitely shows his affection whenever the two are together.
John is also the father of two children. Concerning his sexual orientation, he is straight.
How much is John Ryder Net Worth?
John Ryder has a net worth of between $1 million to $5 million as of 2022 whereas he has also a fine amount of salary which is also in thousands of dollars per year. With his calm and easy-going personality, he is expected to get more popular in the coming years, and we can expect him to climb the ladders of success. John has not done endorsement work for any brands yet. In addition, his major source of income is from his boxing career.
What is the Height of John Ryder?
John Ryder stands at an ideal height of 5 ft 9 in (175 cm) with a balanced body weight of 76 kg. He has a muscular physique and a well-kept physique. John has good-looking dark brown hair and eyes color. Moreover, his body build type is athletic.