Joanna Noelle Blagden Levesque, better known by her stage name, JoJo, is an American vocalist, songwriter, and actress. She rose to fame after participating in the television show America’s Most Talented Kids in 2003 and gained immense popularity as she was only thirteen. With the release of her self-titled debut album in June 2004, she became the youngest artist ever to top the US Billboard Pop Songs chart.
Over the years, He has dropped several albums, singles, EPs as well as starred in films and TV series. She’s dominating the music charts for over a decade, thanks to her soulful voice, vast vocal range and of course unmatched beauty. Let’s explore more about her through this article.
What is JoJo famous for?
- An American singer, songwriter, and actress.
When was JoJo born?
Recalling her early life, JoJo was born in Brattleboro, Vermont, the U.S. in the year 1990 as Joanna Noëlle Blagden Levesque. She is the daughter of Joel Maurice Levesque and Diana Levesque (née Blagden). Her mother sang in a Catholic church choir and was trained in musical theater. She was raised by her mother after her parents divorced when she was four years old.
She has English, Native American, French, Polish, Irish, and Scottish ancestry. She is of American nationality and her birth sign is Sagittarius. Similarly, she was Christianity by religion.
Where is JoJo educated?
Concerning her education, JoJo graduated from high school in 2009. She was accepted to Northeastern University where she considered majoring in cultural anthropology but did not attend.
When did JoJo begin her singing career?
- Moving towards her career, JoJo began performing at theatres at the age of six, seeking new avenues to express her talent, she auditioned for Kids Say the Darkest Things: On the Road in Boston. She was immediately cast on the show, where she worked with Bill Cosby.
- Gaining recognition from the show she sang Respect and Chain of Fools on Destination Stardom and later received a call from The Oprah Winfrey Show to perform for them. She even performed on the television show, Maury.
- She enrolled as a contestant on NBC’s America’s Most Talented Kids, which brought her into the spotlight. However, she lost the competition to Diana DeGarmo.
- The same year, she auditioned for Blackground Records after Vincent Herbert insisted that she work with the label, she impressed the producer with her vocal dexterity and was instantly signed on.
- In 2003, she began working on her album. Her debut single Leave (Get Out, was certified gold by RIAA came and out the following year. She had a tour organized for her before her album hit music stores.
- Her debut album titled JoJo ranked fourth on U.S. Billboard 200 and sold over 95 K copies in the first week. Her second single Baby It’s You feat. Bow Wow was also certified gold by RIAA and placed 22 on the U.S. music chart.
- In 2005, she performed for the victims of the Asian Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina at a charity event. She also hosted and performed for the City of Hope National Medical Center.
- In 2006, she hosted the countdown event before the Grammy Awards. Her skills as a host were now evident to producers and casting directors at large, hence she received many offers for television, including the role of Zoe in Hannah Montana, but she declined the offer as her priority wasn’t acting.
- With a prosperous career in music, she soon found herself in the television and film industry. She played Hailey in the 2006 movie Aquamarine and shared screen space with Robin Williams in the comedy-drama RV. Both movies were mega hits.
- In October 2006, her second album ‘The High Road’ released and was positively reviewed. The album reached number three on the U.S. Billboard 200.
- Her first single from the album Too Little Too Late jumped from the number 66 spot to number 3, making it the greatest climb in music charts. However, the following two singles of the album How to Touch a Girl and Anything didn’t make it to the top of the list but showed much promise.
- In 2008, she got busy with her third album and by 2009 it was ready and awaiting a distribution deal when misfortune struck and the songs form her upcoming album were leaked on YouTube.
- This came as a jolt to her career, and she filed a lawsuit against the Blackground Records accusing them of marring her career. She claimed 500 K dollars from the label in remuneration for her loss.
- The dispute was finally settled outside court in 2009, and her third album was to be released under the banner of Interscope Records. However, the release didn’t unfold.
- As professed by JoJo herself in an interview, the altercation with her label was the most trying time in her career, and it took a while before she could get back on her feet.
- Since she didn’t want to keep her audience waiting for an album, she released a mixtape, Can’t Take That Away from Me in 2010. Her first single from the mixtape In the Dark was a subtle hint that she was back in business.
- In the middle of the year, she released her other single Disaster on radios. Even though it met some criticism it managed to pull into the U.S. billboard at number 87.
- Feeling the need to accentuate her performances, she opened for the Joe Jonas & Jay Sean Tour, this helped her harness the attention she deserved.
- In 2012, she released another mixtape called Agape. Her singles We Get By and Andre followed soon after, the mixtape received positive feedback, and portrayed her as an assertive pop artist.
- Once again in 2013, she filed a lawsuit against Da Family and Blackground Records. Stating that the damage to her career was irreparable and the label had to pay for her forfeiture.
- She also demanded to be released from her illegitimate contract which was signed when she was a minor, as it bound her to the label for a period more than seven years.
- After another settlement outside court, she signed a deal with Atlantic Records. She immediately released an Extended Play named III and released three singles When Love Hurts, Save My Soul and Say, Love.
- Her third album Mad Love was released in October 2016, with her first single Fuck Apologies releasing two months prior. The song was written to send out a strong message to those who stood in her way of success.
- Her album reached number 6 on the U.S. Billboard charts, defining her place in the music industry after almost a decade of turmoil, and reiterating the triumph of her teenage days.
- On February 12th, 2019, He announced the release of a new single Say So, which features R&B singer-songwriter, PJ Morton, two days later on February 14th. Say So was included in Morton’s album Paul, as the lead single.
- He announced via Instagram that her latest album, Good To Know is set to release Spring 2020, followed by a tour set to begin in April of 2020.
Who is JoJo dating now?
Reflecting on her personal life, JoJo dated American soccer player, Freddy Adu from May 2005 until September 2006. And then in 2008, she began dating Jeremiah McConico but their relationship also didn’t last long.
Aside from singing and acting, She is also a supporter of various charitable organizations such as the Boys and Girls Club of America, World Vision, She’s the First, Make A Wish Foundation and others.
How much is JoJo worth?
Being a part of the entertainment industry, JoJo earns a decent amount of money and fame through her profession as an actress and R&B/pop singer. Based on some online reports, her estimated net worth said to be $7 million at present. However, her salary and asset details are yet to be disclosed.
How tall is JoJo?
Observing her body physics, JoJo stands a height of 5 feet 3½ inches and weighs around 56 Kg. Similarly, she has an average body with a body measurement of 37-27-35 inches. Further, she has a pair of gray eyes and lights brown hair color. She used 6 (US) shoe size and 10 (US) dress sizes.