Jovenel Moise was a Haitian entrepreneur and politician. Moise served as the President of Haiti from 2017 until his assassination in 2021. Moise and his wife were attacked in their private residence in Petion-Ville in the early morning of 7 July 2021. Moise’s wife Martin survived the attack but the Haitian president was killed. He was one of the known businessmen in Haiti who had investments in several business sectors.
What is Jovenel Moise Famous For?
- Served as President of Haiti from 2017 until his assassination in July 2021.
Where is Jovenel Moise From?
Jovenel Moise was born on 26 June 1968. His birth place is in Trou-du-Nord in Haiti. He held Haitian nationality. He was born to his father Etienne Moise and his mother Lucia Bruno. He belonged to the African-American ethnicity. The family moved to Port-au-Prince in 1974. He continued his primary studies at Ecole Nationale Don Durelin. He continued his secondary studies at Lycee Toussaint Louverture and Centre Culturel du College Canado-Haitien.
Jovenel Moise Business Career
- After marriage, the family moved to Port-de-Paix to develop rural areas in 1996.
- He launched his first business in Port-de-Paix, JOMAR Auto Parts from little investment capital.
- He also began the development of an agricultural project of organic banana production from a plantation extending to over 10 hectares of land in the Nord-Ouest department.
- He partnered with Culligan in 2001 to start a drinking water plant for distribution to the Nord-Ouest and Nord-Est departments.
- He founded AGRITRANS SA in 2012. He introduced project NOURRIBIO to Trou du Nord and helped create Haiti’s first agricultural free trade zone, a 1000-hectare banana plantation in Nord-Est.
- Agritans created over 600 jobs.
Jovenel Moise Political Career
- Then-President Michel Martelly designated Jovenel Moise as the presidential candidate for the Haitian Tet Kale Party (PHTK) in 2015.
- Martelly was the founder of the party.
- During his presidential campaign, Moise promoted bio-ecological agriculture as an economic engine for Haiti.
- Moise qualified for a runoff election after receiving a 32.8% vote in the first round election in October 2015.
- However, many called the election result fraudulent. Thousands of people took to the streets in violent protests.
- The runoff election was postponed.
- The ballot was annulled in June 2016.
- At the end of his term in February 2016, President Michel Martelly stepped down from the position.
- Jocelerme Privert became the interim President.
- Election officials confirmed in November 2016 that he had won the 2016 election in the first round.
- He came in first place with 55.67% of the vote at the presidential level for the November 2016 elections.
- He won the President without having to compete in a second-round election.
- He was sworn in as the President of Haiti on 7 February 2017.
- He met US Ambassador to the United Nations, Kelly Craft in November 2019.
Who was Jovenel Moise Wife?
Jovenel Moise was a married man. He was married to Martine Marie Etienne Joseph who was previously classmates. They got married in 1996. The couple has 3 children together, Jomarlie, Jovenel Jr., and Joverlein.
Jovenel Moise Cause of Death
Haiti President Jovenel Moise was killed in an assassination on 7 July 2021. Unidentified gunmen attacked his residence in Petion-Ville and killed Moise. The First lady of Haiti, Martine Moise suffered wounds during the attacks. She was taken to the hospital. Interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph succeeded Moise as acting President.
What is Jovenel Moise Net Worth?
Jovenel Moise was the wealthiest businessman in Haiti. He had several business investments there. He had investments in several sectors, especially in agriculture. Not much detail about his wealth is available. Thus, his net worth is not available at present.