Keith Hufnagel was a professional American skateboarder who was well-known for the extra-ordinary skate skills that had made him one of the original pro skaters all around the world. He was regarded as the legendary skateboarder who helped to shape the East Coast skating scene in the ’90s. He also had held sponsorships from Real Skateboards, Thunder, Spitfire, and HUF.
Born in 1974, Hufnagel had received his first skateboard at a tender age of 4, ever since then he had made skateboards as one of his best friends for life. Not only he was a legendary pro-skater but also was the founder and designer of his won skateboard and clothing company, “HUF”, becoming one of the first skaters to launch a brand. He picked up the nickname “HUF” after he began skating and tagging “HUF ONE” wherever he went.
However, the news of his passing on September 24, 2020, has left everyone in pain and grief as he passed away at an age of 46 after a long battle with brain tumors. Besides, he was active in social media sites with over 106k followers on his official verified Instagram: @keithhufnagel.
What was Keith Hufnagel Famous for?
- Famous as a pro-skater.
- Known as the founder of the skateboard and clothing company, “HUF”.
Where was Keith Hufnagel Born?
Keith Hufnagel was born on January 21, 1974, in New York City, New York, United States. His birth name was Keith Hufnagel. His nationality was American. Hufnagel belonged to White ethnicity while Aquarius was his zodiac sign.
Born and raised in the fancy city of New York City, Kufnagel had an interest in sports since his childhood that he chose skating as his companion for his life when he was very young. Hufnagel received his first skateboard at a tender age of 4. With his passion for skateboarding, he had come a long way up becoming one of the legendary skaters all around the world.
Keith grew up along with his brother, Chirs Hufnagel, and always loved his parents as he even posted a photograph of him along with his late father and his brother on the auspicious day of Father’s day on June 22, 2020.
How Did Keith Hufnagel Die? What was the cause of his death?
Keith Hufnagel passed away at age of 46 following a two and a half year-long battle with a brain tumor. He died after being succumbed to the disease surrounded by his wife, Mariellen, and his children and friends. The news about his death circulated all over the internet on September 24, 2020, Thursday.
Though he beat the odds and fought back much longer throughout his life to do what he liked to do, he ultimately and unfortunately lost the fight this time. Many of his followers, relatives, and loved ones have shared their emotions and their grief and how they were in shock following the news of the death of the iconic skateboarder.
HUF Worldwide, his own brand also made a long touching statement regarding his death including the lines, “Keith was not only the “HUF” Nagel in HUF. He was the heart and soul of this brand. He built and brought together a community of people like no one else could. Keith’s legacy will continue to live on at HUF. Today, tomorrow, and forever. Rest in peace, Keith.”
Even the USA Skateboarding tweeted about the sad news how they were devastated hearing that Hufnagel had passed away. The tweet reads: “We are devastated to hear that Keith Hufnagel has passed away. His impact on skateboarding, both on his board and off it as a designer, brand owner/founder, and a friend will live forever. Rest in peace, Keith, #keithhufnagel #huf”
It wasn’t limited to this as many of his loved ones have written heart-touching posts and tweet about his kind nature and how he was a positive person and he would always be alive with us.
Keith Hufnagel’s SkateBoarding Career and “HUF” Legacy
- Keith Hufnagel began his career as a skateboarder while he was a teenager. He then moved to the West Coast from New York and while skateboarding and tagging around New York City, he unknowingly picked up the nickname, “HUF” wherever he went. Also, while he was skating there weren’t many safe places to stake and also wasn’t accepted both as a sport and a lifestyle by the American culture.
- He came as an outcast prompting him to turn his horizons in search of a genuine skateboarding community and culture.
- Hufnagel then moved to San Franciso to pursue a full-time skateboarding career eventually spending several decades of his life skating throughout the city and the whole world.
- In 2002, while living and skating in San Francisco, he decided to open a retail shop named “HUF”, opening the brand’s first shop in San Francisco after he moved to the West Coast from New York. It became the first HUF store in San Francisco which initially provided rare skateboards and streetwear clothes and sneakers, later bringing HUF-branded shirts and hats. In 2007, just after 5 years, HUF launches its first full apparel collection and later in 2010 it ventured into footwear and formed its first skate team.
- In 2011, the company made a controversial incident with its “F*UCK IT” apparel and footwear drops. In 2014, HUF launched its first signature shoe for skate-team member Dylan Rieder, who passed away in 2016 after a battle with cancer. In 2016, a new HUF store was set-up at Hufnagel’s native New York further up to HUF Osaka, expanding HUF’s reach in Japan.
- Later, in 2018, HUF collaborated with Budweiser for a fall “King of Beers” collection. By founding the HUF, Keith paved the way for all of the passionate people, as he was a respected professional skateboarder, shop owner, brand founder, footwear and apparel designer, creative director, and industry leader at the same time.
- Even though he isn’t alive, his legacy with HUF will always remain alive.
Who is Keith Hufnagel’s Wife?
Keith Hufnagel was a married man. Hufnagel got married twice throughout his life till his death. Hufnagel was married to his second and the last wife named Mariellen Olson with whom he shared two sons. On May 16, 2020, Keith even posted a photograph of his wife along with their sons wishing her a mother’s day on May 16, 2020, via Instagram.
Besides, he was an optimist and was a supportive man who not only wanted him to be successful but was passionately eager to see people around him succeed. Keith loved skateboarding and the culture around it and always did things his way and did them for the right reasons. He inspired so many people across the globe.
He loved and supported the people around him and would do anything for his friends, family, and children.
What was the Net Worth of Keith Hufnagel?
Keith Hufnagel had quite good earnings from his professional career as a skateboarder and also as a founder of the popular brand, “HUF”. With his initial steps of moving ahead in his career to do what he liked to do to skate, Hufnagel never looked back and never regretted what he did for the past few decades.
With his earnings from the “HUF” company which sells skateboards and also clothing items, Hufnagel had managed to earn a healthy fortune which is estimated to be around $13 million.
How Tall was Keith Hufnagel?
Keith Hufnagel was a good-looking charming man in his mid-40s when he died. With his marvelous sport attitude and with his techniques of skating, Hufnagel had earned much respect and love all around the world. He had a height of 5ft. 7inch, while his body weight was around 65kg.
He had a fair complexion with bald hair and blue eyes.