Kenneth Neil Atkinson, popularly known as Kenny Atkinson is an American professional basketball coach. He is a former basketball player. He served as the head coach of the NBA team Brooklyn Nets from 2016 to 2020. He previously served as the assistant for Paris Basket Racing, New York Knicks, and Atlanta Hawks.
As a player, he played professional basketball from 1990 until his retirement in 2004. He played as a point guard. He went undrafted in the 1990 NBA Draft and never played for an NBA team but played in France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and the Netherlands.
What is Kenny Atkinson Famous For?
- Head coach of Brooklyn Nets from 2016 to 2020.
Where is Kenny Atkinson From?
Kenny Atkinson was born on 2 June 1967. His birth name is Kenneth Neil Atkinson. His birth place is in Northport, New York in the United States. He holds an American nationality. His zodiac sign is Gemini. He belongs to white ethnicity and his religion is Christianity. He was born to a father, Neil Atkinson, and a mother, Pauline Atkinson. He has 4 siblings, brothers: Mike, Steven, Tom, and Brian. He played high school basketball at St. Anthony’s High School in South Huntington, New York. Following high school, he played collegiate basketball at the University of Richmond.
Kenny Atkinson Career
- Kenny Atkinson announced for the 1990 NBA Draft.
- However, he went undrafted.
- started his professional football career from the Wichita Falls Texans in 1990.
- He never played for NBA teams.
- He had tryouts with several NBA teams including the Knicks in 1991 but was not selected.
- He played professional basketball in Italy, France, Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands from 1990 to 2004.
- He retired from professional basketball in 2004.
- Atkinson was an assistant coach for Paris Basket Racing from 2004 to 2006.
- He served as the Director of Player Development for the Houston Rockets in 2007–08.
- He joined the New York Knicks coaching staff in August 2008. He was the assistant coach under Mike D’Antoni.
- He spent four seasons with the Knicks as an assistant coach.
- He joined the coaching staff of Atlanta Hawks in 2012.
- He became an assistant coach under Mike Budenholzer.
- He became the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets in 2016.
- He made his NBA head coaching debut in October 2016 against Boston Celtics. Nets lost 122-117 to the Celtics.
- He won his first game as a head coach on 28 October 2016 against the Indiana Pacers. Nets defeated the Pacers 103-94.
- The Nets finished the 2016-17 season with a 20-62 record.
- The Nets finished the 2017-18 season under Atkinson with a 28-54 record.
- The Nets finished the 2018-19 season with a 42-40 record, leading the Nets to playoffs.
- The Nets lost to the Philadelphia 76ers in the first round of the playoffs in five games.
- After compiling a 28-34 record in 62 games, Atkinson stepped down as the Nets’ head coach on 7 March 2020.
Kenny Atkinson Wife
Kenny Atkinson is a married man. He is married to Laura Atkinson. The couple has two children together: daughter Annika Atkinson, and son Anthony Atkinson. Detail information about his personal life will be updated soon.
Kenny Atkinson Height
Kenny Atkinson stands at a height of 1.85 m i.e. 6 feet and 1 inch tall. He has a body weight of 185 lbs i.e. 84 kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is brown and his hair color is dark brown. His sexual orientation is straight.
Kenny Atkinson Net Worth
Kenny Atkinson played professional basketball from 1990 until his retirement in 2004. He never played in NBA as he went undrafted in the 1990 NBA Draft. He played most of his career overseas in Italy, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, and France. He made quite an income from his professional playing career. After retirement, he pursued managerial career in basketball. He served as an assistant coach for New York Knicks and Atlanta Hawks before becoming the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets in 2016. He resigned from the Nets’ head coach duty in 2020. His net worth is estimated at $5 million.