Kiefer Sutherland is a versatile actor with a wide range of characters in his repertoire. Born to acting parents, he too decided to be an actor. He started playing minor roles in coming of age movies such as Max Dugan Returns, The Bad Boy, Stand by Me and The Lost Boys. With supporting roles in Young Guns and Flatliners, he started getting noticed.
Switching to working in television, he became agent Jack Bauer in the series ‘24’. He earned many accolades for this role over 8 seasons and was regularly nominated for the Golden Globes and Emmys, year after year. He also became one of the executive producers of the serial. He has won a Golden Globe and a couple of Emmys for the series. He has been presented a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame too. To know more about him, you can read the below article.
What is Kiefer Sutherland Famous For?
- An English-born Canadian actor, voice actor, producer, director, and singer-songwriter.
- His starring role as Jack Bauer in the Fox drama series 24 (2001-2010, 2014).
Where is Kiefer Sutherland From?
Going back to his early life, Kiefer was born in the year 1966. He spent his childhood in the place where he was born, London, England. His nationality is Canadian and belongs to mixed ethnicity. Similarly, he was born to his parents; Donald Sutherland and Shirley Douglas, who both were acting professionals. This sparked him an interest in acting from a young age. He grew up with two twin sisters. Later on, his parents divorced and he moved to Toronto with his mother, However, not much is there regarding his earlier days and childhood.
For education, he went to Silverthorn Collegiate Institute, John G. AlthouseMiddle School, Crescent Town Elementary School, St. Andrew’s College, and Harbord Collegiate Institue.
Kiefer Sutherland Career Highlights
- Talking about his career journey, Kiefer had a minor role in the 1983 comedy, Max Dugan Returns. His father acted in the movie too, but Kiefer did not have any scene with him.
- His first starring role was in the Canadian film, The Bad Boy, in 1984. The coming-of-age film saw him play a sensitive teenager who resists his mother’s attempts to make him a priest.
- In 1986, he acted in his first American film, Stand by Me. In this film about four boys’ looking for a dead body, he played “Ace” Merrill, a bully.
- He acted for the first time in a Joel Schumacher directed the movie, the 1987 horror-comedy, The Lost Boys. The movie was critically and commercially successful. Sutherland would work with Schumacher in many more films.
- In the 1990 sci-fi thriller, Flatliners, he starred with Julia Roberts, Kevin Bacon, William Baldwin, and Oliver Platt, as one of the five medical students researching life beyond death.
- In 1992, he acted in the psychological thriller, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, and had a more significant role in the Oscar-nominated film, A Few Good Men, as Lieutenant Jonathan James Kendrick.
- In 1993, He starred alongside Jeff Bridges and Nancy Travis in The Vanishing, an unconvincing remake of a Franco-Dutch thriller, and The Three Musketeers which received negative reviews, but did well commercially.
- In the 1996 crime thriller, Eye for an Eye, he played Robert Doob, a serial killer. The film also starred Sally Field and Ed Harris and was criticized for its promotion of vigilantism.
- Now considered a cult classic, Dark City, the sci-fi film of 1998, starring the actor with Rufus Sewell, Jennifer Connelly, and William Hurt. The film received many awards in film festivals around the world.
- He had a supporting role in the Joel Schumacher directed 1996 box-office hit, A Time to Kill. The movie starred Matthew McConaughey, Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson, and Kevin Spacey.
- The TV series, ‘24’, starring Sutherland as Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU) agent Jack Bauer, premiered in 2001 and has now completed 192 episodes over 8 seasons. Events in each episode happen in real-time.
- In the Joel Schumacher nail-biter, Phone Booth (2003), the actor was given second billing behind Colin Farrell, despite appearing physically onscreen only for three minutes. He is the mysterious caller in the movie.
- In the 2006 thriller, The Sentinel he starred with Michael Douglas. Both don the roles of secret service agents. Directed by Clark Johnson, the movie was poorly received by critics.
- In the 2012 supernatural drama series, Touch, he stars as a former reporter who discovers that his sensitive special-needs son has a gift for foretelling future events.
- In May and July 2014, twelve-episodes of 24: Live Another Day, was aired by Fox.
- In 2015, it was announced that he was cast in the lead role of the former ABC political drama series Designated Survivor as Tom Kirkman, the President of the United States. The show was renewed by Netflix for a third season which was released on June 7th, 2019.
- Also, He has been inducted to the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Canada’s Walk of Fame and has received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Zurich Film Festival.
Who is Kiefer Sutherland Married to?
Kiefer was in a romantic relationship with Camelia Kath. After knowing each other long enough, they married in 1987. Together, they gave birth to a beautiful daughter named Sarah Jude. Even though they had a perfect family anyone would dream of, they decided to divorce in 1990.
Later on, he called off marriage after engaging with Julia Roberts which attracted a lot of attention. Afterward, he married Kelly Winn in 1996 and had two sons together. However, the pair separated in 1999, and officially divorced in 2008.
Later, he stayed in multiple relationships with Ashley Scott, Tricia Cardozo, Reiko Aylesworth, Catherine Bisson, and Bo Derek which didn’t last long. his latest relationship was with Siobhan Bonnouvrier from 2009 till 2011. Currently, his relationship status is single.
How much is Kiefer Sutherland worth?
Kiefer Sutherland is a London-born Canadian-American actor, director, and producer who has earned an impressive amount of money and fame through his profession in the field of the entertainment industry. As per the online sites, his estimated net worth said to be $75 million and his salary is somewhere around $250 Thousand per episode. However, his assets details are yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Kiefer Sutherland?
Talking about his body statistics, Kiefer has a height of 5 feet 9 inches and he has a body-weight 76 Kg. His eyes are blue and light brown hair color. Further, he has an average body with a 41 inches chest size, 35 inches waist size and 14 inches biceps sizes.