Kim Jong-un is a North Korean politician who has been serving as the Supreme Leader of North Korea since 2011 and as chairman of the Workers’ Party of Korea since 2012. Kim is the Dictator of North Korea and is considered as one of the strongest dictators that the world ever had. He is the blood of leader and founder, Kim II-Sung(grandfather), and second leader, Kim Jong-il(father). He also ranks in the list of one of the most powerful people in the whole world.
Kim even ordered the execution of his uncle Jang Song-thaek for “treachery” and is widely believed to have ordered the assassination of his half-brother, Kim Jong-nam, in Malaysia in February 2017. His regime is said to have dominated every aspect of its citizens’ lives and terrorizes them from within.
What is Kim Jong-un Famous for?
- Famous as the dictator of North Korea.
Where was Kim Jong-un Born?
Kim Jong-un was born on January 8, 1983(South Korean records), and on January 8, 1984(American records) in Pyongyang, North Korea. His birth name is Kim Jong-un. His nationality is Korean. Kim belongs to Korean ethnicity while Capricon is his zodiac sign.
Kim Jong-un was born in a highly reputed family as the second and the youngest child of Kim Jong-il(father)(1941–2011) and Ko Yong-hui(mother)(1952–2004). His father was North Korea’s second leader who ruled the country from 1994 until his death in 2011 while his mother was the North Korean supreme leader.
Jong-un is the grandson of Kim Il-sung, who was the founder and led North Korea from its establishment in 1948 until his death in 1994.
He has two siblings: an elder brother, Kim Jong-Chul(b. 1981), and a younger sister, Kim Yo-jong(b. 1987). All of them lived in Switzerland, where Jong-un attended the Liebefeld Steinhölzli state school in Köniz, under the name “Pak-un” or “Un-pak” from 1998 until 2000 as the son of an employee of the North Korean embassy in Bern.
He first attended a special class for foreign-language children and later attended the regular classes of the 6th, 7th, 8th, and part of the final 9th year, leaving the school abruptly in the autumn of 2000. He also has half-siblings from his father’s previous relation: Kim Jong-nam and Kim Sul-song.
Later, Kim Jong-un attended Kim Il-sung University in Pyongyang and graduating earning two-degrees: a degree in physics at Kim Il-sung University and another as an Army officer at the Kim Il-sung Military University. Besides, for many years, only one confirmed photograph of him was known to exist outside North Korea, until September 30, 2010, when his first official image of him as an adult was a group photograph released.
Kim Jong-un: Road to Supreme Leader of North Korea
- Kim Jong-un began his professional career getting involved in the Cheonan sinking and the bombardment of Yeonpyeong in 2010.
- On September 28, 2010, Jong-un was named vice chairman of the Central Military Commission and was appointed to the Central Committee of the Workers’ Party.
- Following the death of his father, he took the power was hailed as the great successor to the revolutionary cause of Juche.
- On December 24, 2011, he was publicly declared Supreme Commander of the Korean People’s Army.
- On March 27, 2012, Kim was elected to the Fourth Conference of the Workers’ Party of Korea.
- Kim was appointed the Chairman of the National Defence Commission at the 5th Session of the 12th Supreme People’s Assembly on April 13, 2012.
- On April 15, 2012, Kim Jong-un made his first public speech, “Let Us March Forward Dynamically Towards Final Victory, Holding Higher the Banner of Songun”.
- In July 2012, Kim was promoted to Wonsu(marshal), the highest active rank in the military. The same month, Kim Jong-un showed a change in cultural policy from his father by attending a Moranbong Band concert.
- In December 2013, Kim Jong-un’s uncle Jang Song-thaek was arrested and executed for treachery by firing squad killing Jang’s all relatives.
- Kim became the Chairman of the Workers’ Party of Korea on a party congress held in May 2016 and the Chairman of the State Affairs Commission in June.
- Kim Jong-un is part of a triumvirate heading the executive branch of the North Korean government along with Premier Kim Jae-ryong and parliament president Choe Ryong-hae.
- In July 2016, the United States Department of the Treasury imposed personal sanctions on Kim for his alleged crimes against humanity.
- Under Kim Jong-un, North Korea has continued to develop nuclear weapons, conducting over 80 missile tests after he had been under the trap and assassination.
- During the April 2018 inter-Korean summit, Kim and South Korean President Moon Jae-in signed the Panmunjom Declaration, formally ending the Korean War.
- On June 12, 2018, Kim held his first summit with US President Donald Trump and signed a declaration, affirming a commitment to peace, nuclear disarmament, and the repatriation of the remains of U.S. war dead. He again held a meeting with Trump in February and June 2019.
- On 25 April 2019, Kim held his first summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vladivostok, Russia.
Who is Kim Jong-un Married to?
Kim Jong-un is a married man. Jong-un is married to Ri Sol-ju. Ri is the current First Lady of North Korea, she also has accompanied Kim Jong-un to public appearances for several weeks prior to the announcement. The couple got married in 2009 after Jong-un’s later father suffered a stroke in 2008.
They are blessed with two children: a boy in 2010 and a daughter, Kim Ju-ae born in 2013.
Besides, Kim previously suffered from hypertension and even had gained over 30kg in body fat over the previous 5 years. On April 20, 2020, it was reported that Kim Jung-un had not been seen in public for a week after he had his heart surgery earlier supposing him to be in grave danger by CNN.
What is the Net Worth of Kim Jong-un?
The 37 years old Kim Jong-un is one of the richest people in the whole world and the most protected person in the world. As a dictator of North Korea, Jong-un has managed to rule his country with his own rules and regulations that no other country in the world has. Belonging to a family of the leader of North Kore, Jong-un has managed to be a billionaire with his whopping et worth of around $5 billion.
His billion worth assets and bank accounts were found in more than 200 foreign bank accounts located throughout the world in countries including Austria, Lichtenstein, Russia, Singapore, China, Switzerland, and Luxembourg. Kim is said to have 20 luxury palaces and mansions around North Korea for his personal use.
Kim also owns a fleet of 100, mostly European, over 100 luxury cars, a private jet, and a 100-foot long yacht.
How Tall is Kim Jong-un?
Kim Jong-un has an average body physique. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 7inch.(1.70m) while he has a large bodyweight of 130 kg(290 lbs). He has a fair complexion with black hair and brown eyes.
His haircut is pretty popular in North Korea which even has the name “Ambitious”.