Latto is an American rapper who rose to fame after appearing on the reality TV series “The Rap Game” in 2016 where she was known as Miss Mulatto. She also won the show’s first season. Her breakthrough came with the release of her 2019 single, “Bitch from da Souf”. As of 2020, the song entered the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at number 95. After releasing a remix of the song with rappers Saweetie and Trina, Latto released the follow-up single, “Muwop” featuring Gucci Mane, in 2020. Both songs were certified Gold and included on Latto’s debut album, Queen of Da Souf, released on August 21, 2020, through RCA. She has also published EPs titled “Time and Pressure” (2017), “Big Latto” (2019), and “Hit the Latto” (2019). She was included in the 2020 “XXL Freshman Class”, an annual list of ’10 Artists to Watch’ who are all featured on the cover of XXL, an American hip hop magazine. Moreover, she was nominated for Best New Hip Hop Artist at the 2020 BET Hip Hop Awards. She was named MTV’s Global Push Artist of the month. She is nicknamed Latto, Big Latto, Miss Mulatto.
Latto debuts “Big Energy” during MTV VMAs extended stage performance
Latto took to the 2021 MTV Video Music Awards Extended Play Stage to preview her upcoming single “Big Energy”. She also performed “Muwop” as she shined on stage alongside her team of dancers. Although her act was only briefly aired during the annual event’s live broadcast, the full sets were shared on YouTube. She graced the stage in a blinged-out ensemble and platinum blonde wig, switching up between rapping and letting the track play as she danced alongside equally dazzling women. Latto delivered two energetic performances on-stage including a new song with nostalgic clout. Her “Big Energy” performance kicked off with the familiar sound of Mariah Carey’s “Fantasy,” originally released in 1995. The brief show featured Latto rapping in television-appropriate lyrics, “Bad chick, I could be yo’ fantasy / I can tell you got big, big energy.” However, a more explicit preview was shared by the rapper on her Instagram account, teasing a Sept. 24 release date.
What is Latto Famous For?
- Being the US-based rapper.
- For winning the show “The Rap Game”.
- For her hit single “Bitch from da Souf”.
What is the Real Name of Latto? Details about her Parents, Family, Education
Latto took birth on December 22, 1998, with the real name of Alyssa Michelle Stephens. Her place of birth is in Columbus, Ohio, the USA. She holds American nationality and she came from a multiracial ethnic background of black and white. Her present age is 22 as of 2020. She was born to her black father, Shayne Pitts, and her white mother, Misti Pitts (nee Stephens). She also has two siblings; two sisters named Kay and Brooklyn. She moved to Georgia at the age of two which she considers as her hometown. She was raised in Clayton Country. For being “light-skinned”, she was bullied in school. Because of this, she adopted the stage name Miss Mulatto and began her rapping career after the “mulatto” racial classification. Before her music career, Stephens participated in drag racing. At the age of ten, she decided to become a rapper and began writing her own rap songs. Capricorn is her Zodiac sign and she follows the Christianity religion.
About her education, Latto attended Lovejoy High School.
Latto Music Career Timeline
- Stephens initially took part in the Lifetime reality series “The Rap Game” which was produced by Jermaine Dupri and Queen Latifah. She won the competition and after that, she was offered a recording contract from Dupri with So So Def Records but ultimately turned down the deal claiming it wasn’t enough money, opting to be an independent artist.
- She released her very first single “No More Talking” in February 2016.
- She then collaborated with Lil Niqo, who was a competitor from “The Rap Game”, on the 2016 single “Tough on the Internet”.
- Next, she released her first mixtape “Miss Mulatto” on 2nd October 2016, and released her second mixtape “Latto Let Em Know” in April 2017 which featured artists like Molly Brazy, Lil Key, Crucial, and Silentó.
- Her single “Response Diss” is a diss song directed toward Young Lyric, a fellow competitor from The Rap Game. Their feud resulted in diss tracks from both parties with insults about drug use, homosexuality, and past experiences from the show.
- In addition, she has also worked with 2 Chainz, Future, Janelle Monáe, and Jacob Latimore.
- At the end of 2017, she released her EP “Time and Pressure”.
- She then changed her stage name to the mononym, Mulatto, and consequently released the self-titled mixtape of the same name that year.
- She released the song titled “Bitch from da Souf” in January 2019.
- Then, she was invited to perform at Rolling Loud, an annual hip hop festival, located in Miami, Florida.
- She next released her second EP titled “Big Latto” which was preceded by “Bitch from da Souf”. The single became her breakout hit, peaking at number 95 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in the United States.
- Later, the song was remixed by rappers Saweetie and Trina which was then included on her third EP “Hit the Latto” which was released on 12th December.
- She also headlined the tour “Big Latto Tour” in 2019.
- It was later revealed that she signed with RCA Records in March 2020. She then released her second promotional single entitled “He Say She Say” on 21st May.
- She also recreated some of rapper Gucci Mane’s album covers, starting with 2009’s “The State vs. Radric Davis” in July 2020.
- She later released her single, entitled “Muwop” which featured Gucci Mane. The single was released on 30th July.
- Moreover, she also made a cameo appearance in American rapper Cardi B’s music video for her single, called “WAP”, which was released on August 7, 2020, and she was featured on NLE Choppa’s single, called “Make Em Say”, taken from his debut studio album, “Top Shotta” on the same day.
- She was also included in XXL’s 2020’s Freshman Class on 11th August.
- She then announced the release of her debut project through RCA, titled “Queen of Da Souf” on 12th August. Whereas it was released on 21st August 2020.
- The project was preceded by two singles, which were the remix to “Bitch from da Souf” and “Muwop”. The album peaked at number 44 on the US Billboard 200.
- Moreover, she was featured on the remix of the Chloe x Halle song, “Do It”, alongside Doja Cat and City Girls on 4th September. She was also featured on G-Eazy’s single, “Down” on the same day.
- The music videos for the third and fourth singles from “Queen of Da Souf”, “On God” and “In n Out” were released in September and October of 2020.
- On 11th December, she released the extended version of “Queen of Da Souf”, which included five new songs, and spawned the single, called “Sex Lies” featuring American rapper Lil Baby.
- As of January 2021, it was announced that she would be changing her stage name from “Mulatto” following the controversy of the term being deemed as a colorist.
- She became the first female rapper from Atlanta to have a solo record be certified gold and platinum with “Bitch from da Souf” (2019) and “Muwop” (2020).
- As of May 2021, she confirmed in various interviews that she had officially settled on a new stage name. On 18th May, it was reported that on streaming platforms, Mulatto’s name had been changed to simply Latto, a change first reflected on her guest appearance on Toosii’s album “Thank You for Believing”, where she was credited as Latto.
- She then released a new single titled “The Biggest”, to go with the announcement of her new name.
Awards and Achievements
- Won Youth Hip Hop/R&B Award under the category, Georgia Music Awards in 2016
- Won Global Push Artist of The Month (February) for her work in “Sex Lies” under the category, MTV in 2021
- Nominated Best New Hip Hop Artist under the category BET Hip Hop Awards in 2020
- Nominated Push Performance of the Year under the category, MTV Video Music Awards in 2021
Who is Latto’s Boyfriend?
Latto is currently single at present and she is not dating anyone. There is no news and affairs about her at present. She has kept her personal life private currently. She is enjoying her present life happily without any disturbances. Her sexual orientation is straight. She is currently residing in Clayton Country, Georgia, the USA.
Back then, she dated rapper Bandit Gang Marco from the year 2015 to 2017. They had been friends since she was twelve.
Digging towards her personal life, she was arrested for theft when she was mistaken for another woman in May 2019. She then released a track entitled “Fuck Rice Street” for attesting to her innocence and anger toward the police.
How much is Latto’s Net Worth and Salary?
Latto is a well-recognized aspiring rapper. The present net worth of Latto is estimated to have $700K as of 2021. Her major source of wealth comes from the music industry. Her salary is between in the range of $100K-$200K at present in a year. She has also opened her own store “Pittstop Clothing” in Jonesboro, Georgia, the USA. She has endorsed and promoted the brands such as Ambitious Girl, Shane Justin, Jewelry Unlimited, Inc., Chalice Chanel, Wkween, PrettyLittleThing, Chanel, Geche, Calvin Klein, and more. She is living a standard lifestyle at present.
How tall is Latto and how much does she weigh?
Latto has a perfect height of 5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm. Her body type is Voluptuous. Her well-maintained body weight consists of 65 Kg or 143.5 lbs. She has a pair of attractive dark brown eyes and her hair color is dark brown. She often tends to dye her hair blue, blonde, orange, red, green, pink, silver, auburn, or platinum. She has a curvaceous figure with long and straight hair. She has an affable smile with plump lips. She has also inked tattoos on her back, neck, right forearm, left thigh, and back of the right thigh. Overall, she has got a healthy body as of today. Similarly, she has appealing body measurements of 34C-25-36.