Luis Enrique Martinez Garcia professionally known as Luis Enrique is a Spanish football manager and former player. He is a versatile player with good technique, he was capable of playing in several different positions, but usually played as a midfielder or forward. In his professional career, he played for three teams: Sporting Gijon, Real Madrid, and Barcelona. On 10 August 2004 at the age of 34, he retired from professional football and he finished his professional career with league totals of 400 games and 102 goals.
On the international level, he has represented Spain at U21, U23, and the senior level. He made his senior international debut on 17 April 1991. He appeared with the Spain national team in three World Cups and one European Championship. On 23 June 2002, he retired from international football, in order to give the younger players more playing time and focus only on his club.
What is Luis Enrique Famous For?
- Being a professional football manager and former player.
- Won the 1994-95 La Liga with Real Madrid.
- Won the 1992-93 Copa del Rey with Real Madrid.
- Won the 1993 Supercopa de Espana with Real Madrid.
- Won the 1997-1998, 1998-99 La Liga with Barcelona.
- Won 1996-97, 1997-1998 Copa del Rey with Barcelona.
- Won the 1996 Supercopa de Espana with Barcelona.
- Won the 1996-97 UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup with Barcelona.
- Won the 1997 UEFA Super Cup with Barcelona.
- Won the 1992 Summer Olympic Games with Spain U23.
- Won the 2014-15, 2015-16 La Liga with Barcelona.
- Won 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17 Copa del Rey with Barcelona.
- Won the 2016 Supercopa de Espana with Barcelona.
- Won the 2014-15 UEFA Champions League with Barcelona.
- Won the 2015 UEFA Super Cup with Barcelona.
- Won the 2015 FIFA Club World Cup with Barcelona.
- Won the 1990-91 La Liga Breakthrough Player.
- Won the 2015 La Liga Coach of the Year.
- Won the 2015 FIFA World Coach of the Year.
- Won the 2015 IFFHS World’s Best Club Coach.
- Won the 2015 World Soccer Manager of the Year.
- Won the 2015 European Coach of the Year-Alf Ramsey Award.
- Won the 2014-15 European Coach of the Season.
Where is Luis Enrique From?
Luis Enrique was born on 8 May 1970. His birth name is Luis Enrique Martinez Garcia. His birthplace is Gijon, Spain. His mother and father motivated him to pursue his football team. He holds Spanish nationality. He belongs to the white ethnicity. His religion is Christianity. His horoscope sign is Taurus.
Luis Enrique Football Career Timeline
- He began his career with local Sporting de Gijon where he gained the nickname Lucho after Luis Flores, a Mexican forward in the team.
- He then spent most of his playing days with the biggest Spanish club Real Madrid where he played for five seasons. He made 157 appearances and scored 15 goals for the club. He also won one La Liga, Copa del Rey, and Supercopa de Espana with Real Madrid.
- Later, he played for Barcelona and netted 46 La Liga goals in his first three seasons with Barcelona. He was named Spanish Player of the Year by El Pais in the following campaign.
- During his final years in Barcelona, he was often injured and did not want to renew his contract. He had been offered a deal by his first club Sporting Gijon which he, however, declined.
- With Barcelona, he won two La Liga, Copa del Rey, one Supercopa de Espana, UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup, and UEFA Super Cup where he made 207 appearances and scored 73 goals for the club.
- His concerns about his level and fitness made him retire on 10 August 2004 at the age of 34 where he finished his professional career with league totals of 400 games and 102 goals, being named by Pele as one of the top 125 greatest living footballers in March.
Luis Enrique International Career
- He has represented Spain at U21, U23, and the senior level.
- He was also a member of the gold-mining squad at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona.
- He made his senior international debut on 17 April 1991, featuring for 22 minutes in a 0-2 friendly loss to Romania in Caceres.
- He played for Spain national team in three World Cups and one European Championship.
- On 23 June 2002, he retired from international football, in order to give the younger players more playing time and focus only on his club.
- From 1991-2002, he scored 12 goals while gaining 62 caps for Spain national team.
Luis Enrique Coaching Career
- On 26 May 2008, he returned to Barcelona as a coach.
- In his second season, he found success and helped the club return to Segunda Division after an absence of 11 years.
- In mid-March 2011, he announced he would leave Barcelona B at the end of the campaign, despite still having two years left on his contract. He led the side to the playoffs, but they were ineligible for promotion.
- On 8 June 2011, he reached an agreement with Italian Serie A club A.S. Roma to become the Giallorossi’s new head coach and signed a two-year contract with the club, being joined by a staff of four members.
- Roma was eliminated from the UEFA Europa League by SK Slovan Bratislava and also lost their first game in the domestic league against Cagliari Calcio, making it just the third time that they lost the opener in 18 years.
- Even though he still had two years remaining on his contract, he decided to leave Roma at the end of the season after failing to qualify for any European competition.
- On 8 June 2013, Luis Enrique became RC Celta de Vigo’s new manager, replacing former national teammate Abel Resino.
- In his first and only season, he led his team to the ninth position.
- On 16 May 2014, he announced that he would be leaving Celta.
- On 19 May 2014, it was announced that he would return to Barcelona as a manager after he agreed to a three-year deal with the club.
- His first competitive match was a 3-0 home league win over Elche CF, where he handed debuts to new signings Claudio Bravo, Jeremy Mathieu, and Ivan Rakitic, and gave youth products Munir El Haddadi, Rafinha, and Sandro their maiden league appearances for the club.
- On 25 October 2014, he suffered his first defeat in the competition against Real Madrid.
- On 21 April 2015, he recorded his 42nd win after 50 games in charge of Barcelona with a 2-0 victory over Paris Saint-Germain FC, the best record of any manager.
- On 11 August 2015, Barcelona won the 2015 UEFA Super cup 5-4 against Sevilla FC.
- In his first two seasons, he rotated his goalkeepers, with Bravo playing league games and Marc-Andre ter Stegen playing cup and European matches. Both players, however, expressed opposition to this policy.
- On 1 March 2017, he announced that he would not continue as team manager after 30 June on the expiration of his contract.
- On 9 July 2018, he was named coach of the Spanish national team, replacing former club and country teammate Fernando Hierro.
- His first match in charge occurred on 8 September, and he led the side to a 2-1 win against England in the UEFA Nations League at Wembley Stadium.
- In June 2019, he quit his post for personal reasons. On 19 November 2019, he returned to the same bench.
Luis Enrique Wife
Looking at his personal life, Luis Enrique is a married man. He got married to his longtime partner Elena Cullell on 27 December 1997. The couple was blessed with a daughter, Xana but sadly, died of bone cancer at age 9 on 29 August 2019. The pair has successfully maintained their marriage status for more than a two-decade now and the relationship is still going strong.
Luis Enrique Height and Weight
Luis Enrique stands at a height of 1.80m i.e. 5 feet and 11 inches tall. He has a bodyweight of 73kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is black and his hair color is black and white. His sexual orientation is straight.
Luis Enrique Net Worth and Salary
Luis Enrique is a retired professional footballer who had played for clubs like Sporting Gijon, Real Madrid, and Barcelona. He has earned from his professional career as a football player and now earned from his professional career as a football coach. His income is from contracts, salaries, bonuses, and endorsements. As of 2021, his estimated net worth is around $20 million where his salary is not revealed yet. Any updates on his salary will be updated here soon.