Natalie Hinds, popularly known as Macy Gray is an American R&B and soul singer-songwriter, musician, record producer, and actress. Gray is best known for her hit single, “I Try” from her debut studio album. Gray has released ten studio albums. She is the recipient of one Grammy Award from five nominations. She is known for her distinctive raspy voice and singing style.
Besides singing, Gray is also an actress who has starred in a significant number of hit films. Some of the films Gray has appeared in are Training Day, Spider-Man, and The Paperboy among others. She has voice roles in several television series.
What is Macy Gray Famous For?
- Her hit single “I Try”.
- Grammy Award-winning singer.
Where is Macy Gray From?
Macy Gray was born on 6 September 1967. Her birth name is Natalie Renee McIntyre. Her birth place is in Canton, Ohio in the United States. She holds an American nationality. She belongs to the African-American ethnicity and her religion is Christianity. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. She was born to her father Otis Jones and her mother Laura McIntyre. Her father left when she was a baby. Her mother then married another man. She has a sister and a brother. She attended several high schools before graduation. After high school, she attended college at the University of Southern California where she studied scriptwriting.
Macy Gray Career
- Gray started taking piano lessons at the age of seven.
- While at USC, she agreed to write songs for a friend.
- After a singer failed to appear to record her songs, she recorded the songs herself.
- She was working as a cashier in Beverly Hills, she met writer-producer Joe Solo.
- They recorded a collection of songs and she landed the opportunity to sing at jazz cafes in Los Angeles.
- Atlantic Records signed her but was dropped before releasing her debut project. She returned to Ohio.
- She signed a development deal with Los Angeles-based Zomba Label Group Senior VP A&R man Jeff Blue.
- She landed a recording deal with Epic Records in 1998.
- She started working on her debut album.
- She released her debut album, On How Life Is in 1999.
- The album garnered her widespread recognition with her second single, “I Try”.
- The album garnered triple platinum in the US and quadruple platinum in the UK.
- For her hit single, “I Try”, she won the Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance in 2001. The single was also nominated for “Song of the Year” and “Record of the Year”.
- The single also won Best Adult Contemporary Video at the 2000 MVPA Awards and Best New Artist at the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards.
- Another single “Why Didn’t You Call Me” won Best New Artist Clip-Pop at the 2000 Billboard Music Video Awards.
- She also won International Breakthrough Act and International Female Solo Artist at the 2000 Brit Awards.
- To date, Gray has released 10 studio albums: On How Life Is (1999), The Id (2001), The Trouble with Being Myself (2003), Big (2007), The Sellout (2010), Covered (2012), Talking Book (2012), The Way (2014), Stripped (2016), and Ruby (2018).
- Her album Stripped won Best Album: Jazz with Vocals at the 2017 Independent Music Awards.
- In her career, she has collaborated with several artists such as Bobby Brown, Black Eyed Peas, Ariana Grande, Justin Timberlake, and Norman Cook among others.
- She sang the theme song for the Nickelodeon animated series, As Told By Ginger.
- Besides singing, Gray is also an actress.
- She made her acting debut in a guest role in the 2000 legal comedy-drama series, Ally McBeal.
- She later starred in several movies and television shows.
- Some of the major movies Gray starred in are Training Day, Spider-Man, Scary Movie 3, Lackawanna Blues, Idlewild, For Colored Girls, and The Paperboy among others.
- She won Best Ensemble at the 2011 Black Reel Awards for her work in For Colored Girls.
- Gray-appearing television shows are Fuller House, Head Case, 1-800-Missing, That’s So Raven, and American Dreams among others.
- She also has voice roles in several animated series including Duck Dodgers, American Dragon: Jake Long, and Big City Greens among others.
- She opened the Macy Gray Music Academy in 2005.
Who is Macy Gray Husband?
Macy Gray is not married at present. It is not clear who is she dating at present. She has maintained a low profile regarding her personal life. Any updates about her relationships and partner will be updated here.
Gray was previously married to a man named Tracy Hinds. Hinds is a mortgage broker. They were married for four years and shared three children together. They are Aanisah, Mel, and Happy. They later got divorced.
How Tall is Macy Gray?
Grammy Award-winning singer Macy Gray stands at a height of 1.83 m i.e. 6 feet tall. She has a body weight of around 172 lbs i.e. 78 kg. She has an average body build. Her eye color is dark brown and her hair color is black. Her sexual orientation is straight.
What is Macy Gray Net Worth?
Macy Gray earns from her career as a singer and actress. Gray has released ten studio albums and is a Grammy Award winner. Her income comes from her music career from record sales and concerts. Besides singing, Gray has also starred in several movies and television shows. She also makes a good income out of her acting career. Summing up, she has made her fortune working in the entertainment industry. At present, her net worth is estimated at $12 million.