Marie-Mai, the professional name of Marie-Mai Bouchard, is a Canadian singer and TV personality who is mostly known as one of the finalists of the first season of the Quebec reality show “Star Academie”.She has also performed at a local Montreal music theatre. She also worked as a voice artist for the role of Smurfette in the French-Canadian version of “The Smurfs 1(2011)” and “The Smurfs 2(2013)”. Her first debut album is “Inoxydable” which got released on September 28, 2004.
She is also active in the social media platform with around 290k followers on Instagram: @mariemaireal and with 185k followers on Twitter: @MarieMaiReal.
What is Marie-Mai famous for?
- Famous as a Canadian singer and for being the finalists of the first season of Quebec reality Show “Star Academie”
Where was Marie-Mai born?
Marie-Mai was born on 7th July 1984 in Varennes, Quebec, Canada. Her birth name is Marie-Mai Bouchard. Canadian is her nationality. Her ethnicity is White Caucasian while Cancer is her zodiac sign.
Marie was born as the second child of Jean-Pierre Bouchard(father) and France Lemany(mother). Her father was an actor while her mother was a teacher. She has an older sister, Soline Bouchard. She was raised in her hometown, Quebec. She did her schooling from Ste-Foy Elementary School. In her school days, she took piano classes and also participated in musical theatre. Then, her interest began for music.
Source: [email protected]
Shortly after her interest began in music, she started singing. Firstly, her grandmother noticed her talent and encouraged her to continue it as her career. In 2001, she performed in many shows at Montreal’s Theatre Musical.
Marie-Mail participated in the 1st season of Quebec reality show “Star Academie” and ended being second runner-up in the show just finishing behind 1st runner up, Marie Thibert and the winner, Wilfred Le Bouthillier. She also became the part of the Montreal cast of Jonatha Larson’s rock-opera musical “Rent” which was performed at the Olympia Theatre in 2004.
Marie-Mai’s Music Career: Highlights
- Marie-Mai started her professional music career by debuting with her album “Inoxydable” on 28 September 2004. More than 120,000 albums were alone sold in Quebec.
- She also won the prize for the best Francophone music video at the MuchMusic Video Awards with “I’ll faut que tu t’en ailes” and also performed in 87 shows in support of her album.
- She released her second album “Dangerous attraction” on 28th August 2007. For her album, she received a gold certification for selling over 50,000 copies of the album in Canada.
- Marie-Mai also featured in the Quebec National Holiday celebrations in Montreal where she performed her hits “Mentir” and “Emmene-moi” which was cast on Radio-Canada Television.
- Her third album “Version 3.0 ” was released on September 26, 2009. She recorded a third gold after selling 40,000 copies. However, it was upgraded to Platinum in 2011 with 80,000 copies being sold.
- She released her new single “Sans cri ni haine” in 2012, for promoting her fourth album “Miroir”. For her single, she won the award of “Popular song of the year 2012”. She won the Pop album of the year for her 4th album.
- She released her fourth album “Miroir” on September 17, 2012. After selling 40,000 copies, she secured her fourth gold.
- She also got featured on David Usher’s 2010 single “Je Repars”.
- In January 2014, she released “Jamais trop tard”, a duet with Jonas. It was the first single off her fifth album “M”. Her fifth album “M” was released on May 12, 2014, along with her three music videos.
- She also gave her voice as “Smurfette” in the French-Canadian Version of “The Smurfs 1(2011)” and “The Smurfs 2(2013)”.
- She performed Emmene-moi during the closing ceremony of Winter Olympics 2010. Her sixth album “Elle et moi” was released in 2018.
- In January 2019, she also appeared as a Coach in an episode of the 2nd season of Canadian TV Network CTV’s “The Launch”.
Source: [email protected]
Awards and achievement
Marie-Mai has won 9 awards throughout her career.
- She has won the “Rock Album of the Year” two times. One in 2008 for her debut album and 2nd in 2010 for her second album.
- She has also won four “Best Female Artist of the Year” award respectively in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014.
- She also won the Pop Album of the year award in 2013 for her 4th album.
- In 2008, she also won the SOCAN award for a Pop song- composer.
Marie-Mai was previously married to Fred St. Gelais. Gelais is also a Canadian songwriter, music composer, record producer, and multi-instrumentalist with whom she got engaged in 2006 and 5 years later, in September 2011, the couple got married in Hawaii. They were even featured on the cover and in a feature article in the spring 2009 issue of SOCAN’s Paroles et Musique magazine. However, their marriage didn’t last long and they got separated in 2016.
Since her first divorce, she has been in a relationship with David Laflèche, a La Voix musical director since 2016, and on February 15, 2017, they welcomed their first daughter Gisèle. Besides, Marie-Map revealed that she was raped and the victim of sexual assault at the age of 17.
Source: [email protected]
Marie-Mai’s Net worth
The Canadian singer, Marie-Mai has quite a good amount of earnings from her professional career as a singer and also as a voice actor. Having started her career since 2004, Marie has undoubtedly managed to earn quite a healthy fortune from her several albums and works.
She has an estimated net worth of $4 million as of 2020. Her net worth includes all her property and present earnings. She is living a luxurious lifestyle with her earnings.
The 36 years aged, Marie-Mai has a well-maintained body. She has a fair complexion with blonde hair and a pair of brown eyes. She stands at a height of 5ft 7inches and has a body weight of 62kg. Her body measurement is 32-23-33 inches. Her shoe size is 8(US).